IGNORED

Tank Bags - My Solution

ADulay

Way back in time when BMW had a a few good ideas, they came up with a tank bag solution that worked pretty well.   In fact there's currently (as of this writing) a guy selling that same system from 2006 or so here in the forum.

A nice bracket that clipped into the fuel tank and was the perfect size, mounted quickly and cleanly and just plain worked really quite well.

Obviously the passage of time changes all ideas of what's "needed" on a motorcycle and BMW kind of dumped that system for something else.  I really don't know as it probably cost way too much anyway.

So, the problem became how do you get the correct sized tank bag mounted cleanly to your BMW so that you're not fiddling with straps, strings, clamps or anything else that can mess up what should be a simple bag and not pay an arm and a leg to get it.

As most, if not all tank bags, no matter what the size, are all set up for steel tanks (magnetic mounting) we're kind of stuck with strapping any new tank bag to the bike via "something up front'" and "something in the back" to secure it.   I was not happy with this and one day it dawned on me that I had the solution in my junk box.

Find the perfect sized tank bag.  Rush down to ACE hardware and buy three 1 inch steel washers.   Find a roll of 3M double side tape.  Stick washer on tape.  Stick tape on tank.  Mount tank bag.  Done.

I've mounted several of the perfect sized tank bags like this for MANY years and miles including at least 10 Sturgis runs and west coast extravaganzas from Florida.  Never a problem.

And inexpensive tank bags can be had everywhere and the good thing is that if you hate the size or look of your bag, you can change it and whichever new one you get will fit perfectly!

$39 worth of tank bag.  60 cents worth of steel washers.  $3.00 worth in a roll of tape.   Works good, lasts a long time.

And the tape comes off cleanly when you hit 100,000 miles and meander over to get your new bike.

Here's hoping the photos show up when this gets posted.

AD

i-9GpKrDs-M.jpg

i-k8znSCn-M.jpg

i-PXMgfkQ-M.jpg

i-9LV86ZW-M.jpg

i-pfT4zfG-M.jpg

i-dFtMm6T-M.jpg

• Plus 1 2
  • Dennis Andress featured this topic
  • Dennis Andress unfeatured this topic