IGNORED

Negative anomalies after new battery install

Trueairspeed

Trueairspeed

Recently tried awakening my 2008 GS after its winters nap in my garage.  Found the battery to be dead.  Ordered a new battery from Beemer Boneyard.  Installed new one and the ole girl fired right up, EXCEPT no speedometer, no brake light, brake failure light illuminated, and low beam light inop.  Any explanations? Please advise.  Thanks in advance, Terry.

dirtrider
6 hours ago, Trueairspeed said:

Recently tried awakening my 2008 GS after its winters nap in my garage.  Found the battery to be dead.  Ordered a new battery from Beemer Boneyard.  Installed new one and the ole girl fired right up, EXCEPT no speedometer, no brake light, brake failure light illuminated, and low beam light inop.  Any explanations? Please advise.  Thanks in advance, Terry.

Morning Terry

The Speedometer, brake light, & brake failure light go through, or are controlled by the ABS module. The low beam is separate & on it's own circuit. A GS-911 would come in handy for diagnosing the brake function part. 

When you installed the new battery the B+ side has a separate red wire (usually part of the BIG cable) you might make sure that isn't broken off or somehow not connected.

On the low beam, possibly just a bad bulb but it could also be a wiring issue. You might start by verifying the low beam bulb is still good. 

• Plus 1 1
Trueairspeed

Thank you Dirtrider for the quick response.  I will investigate the purchase of a GS-911 look into those other anomalies.  Terry

dirtrider
25 minutes ago, Trueairspeed said:

Thank you Dirtrider for the quick response.  I will investigate the purchase of a GS-911 look into those other anomalies.  Terry

Evening Terry

GS-911's are not cheap. Before going that route I do believe I would verify the 2 red wires going into the ABS module have 12v on each of them. 

Terminal (1) & terminal (32) at the ABS controller connector (there should only be 2 solid red wires going into the ABS controller) 

Even with a GS-911 you still might end up checking for ign 12v & 12v B+ at the ABS controller if the ABS doesn't

power up for the GS-911to read anything from the ABS system.   

If the key was still turned on when you installed the new battery you might disconnect the battery (+) cable for about 10 minutes then re-connect with the key turned off. Installing a battery with key ON can sometimes confuse the electronics.  

After parked in the garage with no riding for a few days, I went out to try the recommended remedies.  New battery was DEAD!  Key was in my pocket, so ignition wasn’t left in the on position.  Terry.

16 minutes ago, Trueairspeed said:

After parked in the garage with no riding for a few days, I went out to try the recommended remedies.  New battery was DEAD!  Key was in my pocket, so ignition wasn’t left in the on position.  Terry.

Afternoon Terry

It does sound like something is causing a parasitic battery drain.

Do you have anything hooked to that motorcycle electrical system like phone charger or a GPS or any other add-on accessory?

If not & the battery is not defective then possibly your ABS module is causing the battery drain. 

You should probably charge the battery up then do a parasitic draw test. Doing that on a later BMW with electronic accessory monitoring/control is a little more complicated than a standard  parasitic draw test as you have to hook the amp meter up before disconnecting the battery cable. If you don't the electronic accessory circuit can come back alive & skew the  parasitic draw test. 

To hook the amp meter up before disconnecting the battery cable you need to disconnect the (+) battery cable, then run a jumper wire between the battery B+ post & the removed cable. THEN allow enough time for the accessory circuit to shut down. THEN disconnect the jumper wire & read the ammeter.