Jump to content
IGNORED

Negative anomalies after new battery install


Trueairspeed

Recommended Posts

Trueairspeed

Recently tried awakening my 2008 GS after its winters nap in my garage.  Found the battery to be dead.  Ordered a new battery from Beemer Boneyard.  Installed new one and the ole girl fired right up, EXCEPT no speedometer, no brake light, brake failure light illuminated, and low beam light inop.  Any explanations? Please advise.  Thanks in advance, Terry.

Link to comment
dirtrider
6 hours ago, Trueairspeed said:

Recently tried awakening my 2008 GS after its winters nap in my garage.  Found the battery to be dead.  Ordered a new battery from Beemer Boneyard.  Installed new one and the ole girl fired right up, EXCEPT no speedometer, no brake light, brake failure light illuminated, and low beam light inop.  Any explanations? Please advise.  Thanks in advance, Terry.

Morning Terry

 

The Speedometer, brake light, & brake failure light go through, or are controlled by the ABS module. The low beam is separate & on it's own circuit. A GS-911 would come in handy for diagnosing the brake function part. 

 

When you installed the new battery the B+ side has a separate red wire (usually part of the BIG cable) you might make sure that isn't broken off or somehow not connected.

 

On the low beam, possibly just a bad bulb but it could also be a wiring issue. You might start by verifying the low beam bulb is still good. 

  • Plus 1 1
Link to comment
Trueairspeed

Thank you Dirtrider for the quick response.  I will investigate the purchase of a GS-911 look into those other anomalies.  Terry

Link to comment
dirtrider
25 minutes ago, Trueairspeed said:

Thank you Dirtrider for the quick response.  I will investigate the purchase of a GS-911 look into those other anomalies.  Terry

Evening Terry

 

GS-911's are not cheap. Before going that route I do believe I would verify the 2 red wires going into the ABS module have 12v on each of them. 

 

Terminal (1) & terminal (32) at the ABS controller connector (there should only be 2 solid red wires going into the ABS controller) 

 

Even with a GS-911 you still might end up checking for ign 12v & 12v B+ at the ABS controller if the ABS doesn't

power up for the GS-911to read anything from the ABS system.   

 

If the key was still turned on when you installed the new battery you might disconnect the battery (+) cable for about 10 minutes then re-connect with the key turned off. Installing a battery with key ON can sometimes confuse the electronics.  

Link to comment
Trueairspeed

After parked in the garage with no riding for a few days, I went out to try the recommended remedies.  New battery was DEAD!  Key was in my pocket, so ignition wasn’t left in the on position.  Terry.

Link to comment
dirtrider
16 minutes ago, Trueairspeed said:

After parked in the garage with no riding for a few days, I went out to try the recommended remedies.  New battery was DEAD!  Key was in my pocket, so ignition wasn’t left in the on position.  Terry.

Afternoon Terry

 

It does sound like something is causing a parasitic battery drain.

 

Do you have anything hooked to that motorcycle electrical system like phone charger or a GPS or any other add-on accessory?

 

If not & the battery is not defective then possibly your ABS module is causing the battery drain. 

 

You should probably charge the battery up then do a parasitic draw test. Doing that on a later BMW with electronic accessory monitoring/control is a little more complicated than a standard  parasitic draw test as you have to hook the amp meter up before disconnecting the battery cable. If you don't the electronic accessory circuit can come back alive & skew the  parasitic draw test. 

 

To hook the amp meter up before disconnecting the battery cable you need to disconnect the (+) battery cable, then run a jumper wire between the battery B+ post & the removed cable. THEN allow enough time for the accessory circuit to shut down. THEN disconnect the jumper wire & read the ammeter. 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
Trueairspeed

Never realized replacing a battery would open up a can of worms.  I suspected the new battery was bad, so I replaced it with another new battery.  Fully charged and a repeat of the first battery.  All systems were “GO” when I parked the bike in my garage last fall for its winter time out.  Accessories include PIAA lights and they all work along with the dash and NAV IV.  Still no speedometer readout and associated range, speed, mph and the ever present brake fail warning and no brake light illuminating.  I’ve had less frustration building two airplanes.  Terry

Link to comment
dirtrider
7 minutes ago, Trueairspeed said:

Never realized replacing a battery would open up a can of worms.  I suspected the new battery was bad, so I replaced it with another new battery.  Fully charged and a repeat of the first battery.  All systems were “GO” when I parked the bike in my garage last fall for its winter time out.  Accessories include PIAA lights and they all work along with the dash and NAV IV.  Still no speedometer readout and associated range, speed, mph and the ever present brake fail warning and no brake light illuminating.  I’ve had less frustration building two airplanes.  Terry

Afternoon Trueairspeed

 

You are at the point that you probably need to get a GS-911, or dealer computer on it to see what faults it shows or what isn't working. 

 

You can read it with a cheaper MotoScan  but I have had issues in the past with the MotoScan brake failure codes not matching up to the actual BMW fault codes.  

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...