IGNORED

Brake Pads

Skywagon

Skywagon

What brake pads are you using front and back?  I installed Carbone Lorraine pads about 5000 miles ago and they are pretty much gone.  The originals lasted 25k.  I was looking for EBC as have good service from them before, but confused on which ones and where to acquire.  I dont' want the super soft ones that produce extreme dust and are worn out quickly.

MikeB60

Dave, I've quit using the aftermarket pads. The oem pads performs from my perspective so I hold my nose and pay up.

• Plus 1 1
Skywagon

Thanks Mike…guess I will do the same. I’ll be surprised if my local dealer actually gives me the correct ones

Best source I've found for genuine Brembo parts is carpimoto.it.  Typically delivered in 2-3 business days, and they have always been a perfect fit.. 

Rear pads for a 2014 RT, with shipping, less than $40 USD.

Max BMW fiche shows the BMW price for the same part as $108.

• Thanks 1
realshelby

David, I have close to 20K miles on those same brake pads with plenty left. 

Starting to wonder if you have a split personality. Claims of over 10K on tires....yet 5000 miles on brake pads.......

Are you sure you don't have a dragging caliper or three?

10 hours ago, Skywagon said:

What brake pads are you using front and back? 

I bought a used 2019 RT that originally had the Hayes brakes, and had been swapped to Brembo.... The front brakes pulsed slightly at low speeds.  After scrubbing the rotors eliminated the problem, the pulsing came back after 2000 miles...  I talked to Boxflyer about it, and he recommended swapping brake pads and recommended these from eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153618234620

I tried them, and they work great, and my pulsing is gone for now.

Cap

• Like 1
Skywagon
3 hours ago, realshelby said:

Starting to wonder if you have a split personality

Who me:bike:

Terry...yep always get 10K plus on tires unless I put a hole in one.  There is still pad left, but not nearly what I thought would be left.  Since I already have the wheels off, seems like a good time to just replace them and clean everything up so I don't have to mess with it for a good while.  I don't know if these pads come in a hard or soft version...but guessing these are soft as they sure leave a lot of brake dust on the wheels similar to a pair of organics I bought by mistake once.

No dragging and the pads are pretty equal on both sides.

I replaced the pads on my car at 85,000 and they still had a good bit left.

Skywagon

Went by local BMW dealer to pick up new pads, front and rear.  They wanted $379 for pads.....I passed. I actually thought he was joking.  Will go back to aftermarket Carbone's or EBC's.  Never had a problem with either one, but seems the Carbones didn't wear as well as I hoped.  Oh well.  

Dave_in_TX
On 4/23/2024 at 4:58 AM, MikeB60 said:

Dave, I've quit using the aftermarket pads. The oem pads performs from my perspective so I hold my nose and pay up.

I have yet to replace worn pads with OEM pads. For me, good quality aftermarket pads perform equally well at a much lower cost. If you insist on using OEM (Brembo), supposedly, https://www.carpimoto.it/en-US/ is much cheaper than other sources, even with shipping.

• Like 1
Skywagon

I ordered from beemerboneyard about an hour ago. Fifteen minutes later they sent me a note they were shipped. How about that for customer service. 

• Like 2
Janky59

A few weeks ago I changed out the OE rear pads with EBC FA209’s, $42 for the pair from Amazon.

Got 39K mi from them, the fronts I think I can get to 50K.