IGNORED

R1100RS - ABS flashing, only after 140km/ on Highway

Frederico

Frederico

Hello!

My dear RS is a wonderful lady that seems to go alright except...

Even after a great morning ride through mountain roads, great turns, fast and medium fast parts, were the ABS stay fine all the way, it's the 4th time that when I'm in the last part of the ride, on highway, at constant speed 140-150km/h for about 10 km, the Abs signals start to alternate blink...

Anyone have some idea of that means?

I've recently change the brake lines for spieglers* and change all the fluids. the system works fine except those warnings in that situation. After stop it and start again, the system works again with the warning lights off.

I need some help, those lights are making me insane 

Redfoxx

I would bet you still have some air in the system somewhere. I did that on my RT dash looked more like a christmas tree, re bleed the entire system and was not frugal on pushing more fluid through entire system, cleared it up

Good luck

dirtrider
13 hours ago, Frederico said:

Hello!

My dear RS is a wonderful lady that seems to go alright except...

Even after a great morning ride through mountain roads, great turns, fast and medium fast parts, were the ABS stay fine all the way, it's the 4th time that when I'm in the last part of the ride, on highway, at constant speed 140-150km/h for about 10 km, the Abs signals start to alternate blink...

Anyone have some idea of that means?

I've recently change the brake lines for spieglers* and change all the fluids. the system works fine except those warnings in that situation. After stop it and start again, the system works again with the warning lights off.

I need some help, those lights are making me insane 

Morning  Frederico

EXACTLY when did the dash lights start flashing alternately? What were you doing/riding like at the exact time the lights went to flashing alternately?

Your 1100RS has a different ABS system than Redfoxx's later I-ABS braking system. 

On your ABS-2 system IF your problem started while riding & not using the brakes then suspect a wheel speed sensor air gap is out of spec (your motorcycle should have come with a feeler gauge set in the tool kit to check the speed sensor air gap)

Make sure that your final drive crown bearing is not starting to fail & become loose allowing wheel & ABS tone ring lateral movement (this changes the wheel sensor air gap) 

Also look to see if the front wheel speed sensor wire pig tail is rubbing on the left brake rotor. 

Sometimes in high altitudes the atmospheric pressure change can effect the brake system but that usually only happens when using the brakes hard & often. 

It could also be a low system voltage type problem but that typically doesn't happen at a constant high speed but more likely to happen at engine starting or stop & go traffic. 

Trapped air in the system (if you even have any) should not have effected that ABS-2 system while just riding along (air, unless a lot of air in the system) usually only shows up at the ride-off ABS self test). The ABS-2 has no way of knowing it has air in it after it does the ride-away ride-off test.  

Next time it happens you can try to get the ABS failure  codes if you have access to an old analog type voltmeter. It's kind of difficult for some to catch the needles swings but if you do it enough times you kind of eventually get the hang of it. 

-(Reading ABS 2 controller stored fault codes)-

**********“Make sure battery voltage is at or above 12 volts, with key on”

1)- First- place analog voltmeter between  pin #2  (center cavity of diagnostic connector) of ABS diagnostic connector & ground.. (don’t use a digital voltmeter as most won’t respond quick enough to show stored codes correctly).,  Another way is to use an LED & resistor in place of the voltmeter.

2)- Then- turn ignition switch on.

3)- Voltmeter should indicate (close to) a steady 11volts,  (IF)  no fault codes are stored.

4)- If it has stored fault code(s) in the ABS controller it should show as voltage swings or drops. To find ABS code or codes just count the voltmeter needle  swings towards zero volts.

-(Here are the ABS 2 fault codes)-

1)- front pressure modulator.

2)- rear pressure modulator.

3)- front sensor.

4)- rear sensor.

5)- battery voltage low.

6)- ABS relay.

7)- ABS control unit.

8)- wheel sensor gap front or rear.