IGNORED

How to Reset Oil Change

Steveyacht

Steveyacht

I'm getting ready to change my oil, filter and rear gear oil. How do I reset the oil change reminder on the computer?

dirtrider
2 minutes ago, Steveyacht said:

I'm getting ready to change my oil, filter and rear gear oil. How do I reset the oil change reminder on the computer?

Morning  Steveyacht

What are you working on?

On most new BMW's  it takes a GS-911, or MototScan, or dealer computer. 

Or just disregard the warning like a lot of do-it-yourself riders do. 

Steveyacht
10 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  Steveyacht

What are you working on?

On most new BMW's  it takes a GS-911, or MototScan, or dealer computer. 

Or just disregard the warning like a lot of do-it-yourself riders do. 

2023 R1250RT.  By the way, is $335.00 out the door with tax, a decent price for a dealership installed front Michelin Road 6?

Hosstage
43 minutes ago, Steveyacht said:

2023 R1250RT.  By the way, is $335.00 out the door with tax, a decent price for a dealership installed front Michelin Road 6?

A question best asked in another thread so as not to muddy this one and take it way off track of the thread title. 2 or 3 other tire threads are going on right now.

wbw6cos

It is HIS thread.  Just sayin'

Sounds reasonable for a Michelin tire, but I install my own.   You can rest assured that it was installed correctly and go with that.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1
TSConver
2 hours ago, Steveyacht said:

Yes you need either GS911 or motoscan with an OBD 2 dongle.  Lots of threads on both.

1 hour ago, Steveyacht said:

Seems high.  You taking them the bike or just the rim?  That is $100 to install as you can get the tire for around $220 online.

Steveyacht
1 hour ago, TSConver said:

Yes you need either GS911 or motoscan with an OBD 2 dongle.  Lots of threads on both.

Seems high.  You taking them the bike or just the rim?  That is $100 to install as you can get the tire for around $220 online.

Ill take the bike to them

ODDlink MX+ & Motoscan (ultimate) APP cost me $175.  Dealer wants $20 to reset service. If you do your own work this will do everything you need. The OBD unit can be used on other vehicles with other APPs. Works for me!

Being able to use it on cars sounds like a better deal. But is the $175 cost just initial (subscription needed), or a one-time cost, like the case of the GS-911? I paid $400 for my GS-911 Wi-Fi, but it has 10 VINs. I've only used one, so I could probably sell it quickly with 9 VINs left for $300, when it's time to sell the bike. So the actual expense would be like 100 bucks. My other question is if the Motoscan has all the functions of the GS-911, or just a fraction? And how much of a fraction? Just curious.

Motoscan (bluetooth BTW) is a one time app purchase. No subscription. It is not VIN limited. The GS-911 and motoscan do comparatively the same thing. Search YouTube for "The Old Mechanic" who has many videos on the motoscan. I got the MX+ for $125 (slight discount on their web page) and $47 for the APP upgrade to the ultimate version. You first download the free APP. Once you open it you can then choose an upgrade version (google PAY) and install it on your phone or tablet (Android ONLY). Restart the phone and voila you have it.  https://www.motoscan.de/  https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-mxp/

Rougarou

Motoscan does everything the average self-maintenance person would use.  The Old Mechanic is a great source on this.

• Plus 1 1
Steveyacht

Thank you one and all for your comments and suggestions.  Honestly, for once or maybe twice a year, I can't see the value in purchasing one of these units.  If I can get it reset for $20 to $40 per year, I can cover myself for a few years at the cost of one of these items.  

TSConver
On 4/23/2024 at 7:04 PM, JCtx said:

Being able to use it on cars sounds like a better deal. But is the $175 cost just initial (subscription needed), or a one-time cost, like the case of the GS-911? I paid $400 for my GS-911 Wi-Fi, but it has 10 VINs. I've only used one, so I could probably sell it quickly with 9 VINs left for $300, when it's time to sell the bike. So the actual expense would be like 100 bucks. My other question is if the Motoscan has all the functions of the GS-911, or just a fraction? And how much of a fraction? Just curious.

Gs911 die stuff that Motoscan does not.  It can activate features that Motoscan doesn't.

dirtrider
54 minutes ago, Steveyacht said:

Thank you one and all for your comments and suggestions.  Honestly, for once or maybe twice a year, I can't see the value in purchasing one of these units.  If I can get it reset for $20 to $40 per year, I can cover myself for a few years at the cost of one of these items.  

Morning Steveyacht

If you belong to a BMW club or have BMW friends usually the club (or someone in the club) will have a GS-911 & can re-set your service reminder.

If you pay a dealer to do it, or have your club do it,  or someone in the club do it, then ask them to set for longest time & distance that it will except (you usually need to enter a few tries to find out how far in the future it will accept). In most cases you can set far enough in the future to get a few years before it needs resetting again (note: not all dealers will do this for you). A person with a GS-911 will.  

If you go to local or national BMW events there is usually a few riders there with GS-911's. You just need to find the riders with an open GS-911 (not limited to 10 motorcycles).  Even if you don't need it reset again, or yet, it can still be reset in the future far enough to not need it again for a long time. 

• Thanks 1

And we have yet another small but somewhat irritating reason to stay far far away from the latest and greatest from der fatherland.  What a riot!

7 hours ago, dirtrider said:

then ask them to set for longest time & distance that it will except (you usually need to enter a few tries to find out how far in the future it will accept).

I already did that:D. So happy to contribute that info. The maximums are: 1,000 days, and 40K miles:cool:.

8 minutes ago, JCtx said:

The maximums are: 1,000 days, and 40K miles

with which programmer?

motoscan only let me put in 365 days or 6k miles. Not that it matters, though, if you have the programmer anyway.

dirtrider
1 hour ago, Tron said:

with which programmer?

motoscan only let me put in 365 days or 6k miles. Not that it matters, though, if you have the programmer anyway.

Afternoon   Tron

They don't all seem to be the same, different years & different models, as well as possibly different firmware iterations seem to change things. 

That is why you just have to try a few entries until one sticks.  

That 365 days or 6k miles is typically the BMW stock timeout so nothing probably got changed on yours. 

I usually start at 3 years & 50K miles but usually end up with less than that before it sticks. You might need to toggle the time vs miles to get both to max. 

Hosstage
7 hours ago, JamesW said:

And we have yet another small but somewhat irritating reason to stay far far away from the latest and greatest from der fatherland.  What a riot!

Some people like new stuff, you know that, right?

At one time your old bike was new and nobody liked new stuff then either, "because it's not as good as the old stuff."

Dave_in_TX
9 hours ago, JamesW said:

Then stay away c from anything built by BMW since 2007 or maybe earlier. This is nothing new.

• Like 1

I think what's "new" is the necessity to  actually having to pay a dealership to reset a service reminder in the display.   My two cars have the service reminder feature that I can easily reset myself.  My '93 R1100RSL has no such feature nor does my '10 FJR.  I don't know or care when BMW started this nonsense or if they ever did have the DIY feature but I think it totally ridiculous to not have a simple straight forward method for the owner to be able to do it him or herself and the idea of having to actually pay to have it done just insults any intelligence I may have left.  A seemingly simple thing like this would prevent me from purchasing a product like this and why on earth would I ever want a key fob gizmo while we're on the subject of gizmos.  And with that I'm going to go read a book.  I can only process so much  before I want to bury my head in the cat's litter box.  Well, I'd have to give that some thought for sure come to think about it.  

• Haha 3
Skywagon

I like tech. Spent 40+years of my life in tech. Some times there are growing pains but worth the trip. I’m looking forward to the day I can…

Siri. Pull my favorite motorbike out of garage. Siri warm up bike and set destination to Blue Ridge, but insure I get 50 mpg. Siri.. set up electronics to insure high speed but block all radar. Hey Siri, I’m going to nap while in route…. Wake me up if needed. Hey Siri… have Jeeves perform all required maintenance. Hey Siri….Premium tequila in my margarita only.

Technology?  Bring it.  Gee wasn’t X.25 protocol great. Why upgrade. 

My 212A dial up modem worked great at 1200 baud. 

• Smile 1
9 hours ago, Tron said:

with which programmer?

GS-911 Wi-Fi on my 2020 R. I went 3 years, but was rejected, so started playing to find the limit, and it was 1,000 days, so almost 3 years. The mileage limit was an outrageous 40K miles, so I reset it with the max limits. So still have over 1.5 years left, and about 37K miles:classic_laugh:. I initially put 20K miles, expecting it to get rejected, but it wasn't. So went higher and higher, until I found the (40K) limit.

• Like 1
Rougarou
6 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I like tech. Spent 40+years of my life in tech. Some times there are growing pains but worth the trip. I’m looking forward to the day I can…

Siri. Pull my favorite motorbike out of garage. Siri warm up bike and set destination to Blue Ridge, but insure I get 50 mpg. Siri.. set up electronics to insure high speed but block all radar. Hey Siri, I’m going to nap while in route…. Wake me up if needed. Hey Siri… have Jeeves perform all required maintenance. Hey Siri….Premium tequila in my margarita only.

Technology?  Bring it.  Gee wasn’t X.25 protocol great. Why upgrade. 

My 212A dial up modem worked great at 1200 baud. 

Tech if fine until it fawks up.

When one needs to purchase an extra piece of electronics to do a simple service reset, that's not growing pains, that's funding efforts (I got motoscan ultimate when I got the HP4).  Keyless on a motorcycle is just plain stoopid.

At anytime, you can walk up to my GSA and start it right up and ride away, why, 'cause there ain't no slot to put the key in so the key stays in the little box above the tank.  If there was a slot to put it in, that would be my reminder to take it out and carry it with me.  "well put it in your jacket pocket", uh no, I have too many jackets and it'd be funny if I "put it in my jacket pocket", hung the jacket up on its rack next to the bike overnight, put on a different jacket in the morning, cranked the bike, then left and get the "you're gonna die because you don't have your fob nearby warning message", which forces me to turn around and to get it,,........delayed, by tech.

Most times at work, rather than send an email or call, I get out of my chair and walk to the person I need to speak to, sometimes that's about 1/4 mile round trip in my building.  One, I can say what I want and there's no "record", two, the points can be emphasized via facial and body expressions.   Sometimes, tech is best left to old school simplicity.  I've destroyed a laptop because it didn't do what it was designed to do.  

James Mattis once said, "Powerpoint makes us stupid",....Rogarou says "tech makes us lazy and dependent".

• Like 2
Hosstage

My first few cars had manual crank windows. I can't tell you how many times they got rained in because I didn't close the windows. It has never happened since I got power windows. There was a time when power windows were "high tech and just a problem waiting to happen." Now they are just a given.

Tech happens, some good, some not so. It adapts, and so do we.

• Like 1
Rougarou

And that's when you could use a hose pipe and spray the inside clean,......do that now.  I 'memba going to the full service station that my dad worked and watching him wash a car or truck, spraying the inside out.  'lectrics under the seat and in the doors will prevent that today. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

"well put it in your jacket pocket", uh no, I have too many jackets and it'd be funny if I "put it in my jacket pocket", hung the jacket up on its rack next to the bike overnight, put on a different jacket in the morning, cranked the bike, then left and get the "you're gonna die because you don't have your fob nearby warning message", which forces me to turn around and to get it,,

Wouldn't happen, the bike only starts up if the key is in the immediate vicinity. 10 feet away is too far already.

I like the keyless ride. My key is always in my kitchen drawer along with the other car keys, and when I ride I just put it in my pants pocket when dressing and leave it there. Plus there are no sharp edges anymore that tear up your pockets.

• Smile 1
Rougarou
1 hour ago, Tron said:

Wouldn't happen, the bike only starts up if the key is in the immediate vicinity. 10 feet away is too far already.

I like the keyless ride. My key is always in my kitchen drawer along with the other car keys, and when I ride I just put it in my pants pocket when dressing and leave it there. Plus there are no sharp edges anymore that tear up your pockets.

My jacket rack is less than three feet away from the bike.  For the RT, when the bike is home, the key stays in the ignition.  The GSA, the stoopid fob stays on the bike in it's little glovebox thingy above the tank.  When I ride the RT, it's an easy "visual" notice that the key is still in the ignition, so I grab it.  The GSA, meh, no such visual notice, so I chance it and leave it in the little glovebox thinghy.  The last time I pulled it out was to change the battery (another added cost that a standard key doesn't require), which was months ago.

When I crank my GSA, I can ride without the fob, it won't shut off, you'll get the warning message on the screen.  But if you do shut it off, you won't be able to crank it because your stoopid fob is in a jacket at the house.......and it's not like I'm staring at the screen to see the warning message appear.  Oh, but wait, I "could" carry the wallet key thingy,....but no, I can't won't because I use a Ridge Wallet with only the essential cards in it.

I've never had a key tear up my pockets:dontknow:

Ya, 1st world problem some like the fobs, some don't.........I'm in the don't category even for the four wheel vehicles.

Rougarou
36 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

What was the question again?

Something about how technology is preventing the average user from doing the simple things.;)

Hosstage
28 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Something about how technology is preventing the average user from doing the simple things.;)

Something like that.

Like most threads, this one drifted...

• Like 1

Ahhhhhh...gizmos, soooooo many gizmos. Grrrrrrr.....  A penny for your gizmo. :4607:

On 4/26/2024 at 6:59 PM, Rougarou said:

Keyless on a motorcycle is just plain stoopid.

On the contrary, most people find it convenient.

there ain't no slot to put the key in so the key stays in the little box above the tank

THAT is stupid, sorry to  say.

hung the jacket up on its rack next to the bike overnight, put on a different jacket in the morning, cranked the bike, then left and get the "you're gonna die because you don't have your fob nearby warning message", which forces me to turn around and to get it

Dude, have you not heard of "start-up routine"? You check basics like oil level, flat tyre, key in the pocket before you ride off...

I've destroyed a laptop because it didn't do what it was designed to do.  

Anger management classes?  Seriously dude...

.Rogarou says "tech makes us lazy and dependent".

On this we agree, with the caveat that it can also be helpful if used appropriately.  

• Smile 1
Rougarou
1 hour ago, Hati said:

On the contrary, most people find it convenient.

Good for them

THAT is stupid, sorry to  say.  

Yes, it is, and that is a risk I'm willing to take

Dude, have you not heard of "start-up routine"? You check basics like oil level, flat tyre, key in the pocket before you ride off...

My start up routine on a bike is no different than a car or truck, get on/in, start, take off.

Anger management classes?  Seriously dude...

Only when things do not function as they are supposed to.  Sign above my garage door reads "Caution, tool flying area". 

On this we agree, with the caveat that it can also be helpful if used appropriately.

Yep

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
Skywagon

Oil reset by owner...BMW made the choice to make you take it to the dealer or buy a tool.  Not Kuhl.  My service light has been on a good 2 years.  I hardly notice it anymore.  My bike has had more preventative and routine maintenance than most.  Always current.  I can reset oil indicator on both cars with a couple of button pushes.

Key Fobs....I'm no bueno on fobs.  Both cars have them.  Still don't like them.  I'm not even a fan of a coded key that makes you go to the dealer to pay an outrage fee to get a new one...with proof of ownership.  I have had multiple fob failures...especially when they get washed in my jeans.  I've never had a key failure.  My in-laws have 6 kids all of driving age...They have 8 fobs per car..  Why...well seems like they all have a house key and they combine their house key, other keys, and the fob all on one key chain.

Wait until BMW makes you do an eyescan or fingerprint scan to start.   Won't that be special.

• Like 1
dirtrider
13 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Oil reset by owner...BMW made the choice to make you take it to the dealer or buy a tool.  Not Kuhl.  My service light has been on a good 2 years.  I hardly notice it anymore.  My bike has had more preventative and routine maintenance than most.  Always current.  I can reset oil indicator on both cars with a couple of button pushes.

Key Fobs....I'm no bueno on fobs.  Both cars have them.  Still don't like them.  I'm not even a fan of a coded key that makes you go to the dealer to pay an outrage fee to get a new one...with proof of ownership.  I have had multiple fob failures...especially when they get washed in my jeans.  I've never had a key failure.  My in-laws have 6 kids all of driving age...They have 8 fobs per car..  Why...well seems like they all have a house key and they combine their house key, other keys, and the fob all on one key chain.

Wait until BMW makes you do an eyescan or fingerprint scan to start.   Won't that be special.

Morning David

I'm with you on key fob ignition/starting. With just one motorcycle with a key fob then it is probably isn't a big deal (as long as it always works). Unfortunately BMW seems to still have their motorcycle system in beta testing. 

I have a number of motorcycles so having key fobs for all of  those would be a pain. At least with a keyed ignition system I can leave the key in the motorcycle or in the glove box or in the top case.

I lead (or a least am on) a number of motorcycle rides each year (mostly newer BMW's or Ducati's).  The last couple of years it seems the number of gas cap unlocking issues, or key fob related no-starts after a fuel stop or lunch break has gone way up.   

Don't get me wrong, on an uplevel automobile or SUV a key fob system has it's positives as it can turn the exterior lights on as you approach the vehicle at night, allow the seats & mirrors to automatically adjust to the driver (great if 2 different sized people drive the same vehicle), allow finding the vehicle in a large parking lot if you don't remember where you parked the darn thing, allows opening the rear hatch from 100 yards way, etc. 

But on the same note a fob start system can allow the vehicle to start by using the passengers key fob with the driver forgetting theirs, so if the passenger is dropped off the vehicle can still be driven but won't then restart again when the driver turns it off. (some drivers pay attention to those dash warnings & others don't)

This is sort of related to the newer automobile key fob systems (push button starting), I know 3 drivers (one a neighbor) that have left their cars running all night while parked in their built on garages.  

If I live long enough to see it, in the future when all the motorcycles have gone to key fob, or keyless, ignition systems I'll bet that a company (probably Honda) will come out with & hype THE NEW simplified motorcycle starting system. You just stick a key in it, turn the key to run, push a button to start it & ride off.    

As you can tell I'm almost as enthused about key fob starting & fuel tank cap systems on motorcycles as I was about "Pillion Seat Straps". 

• Like 3

Yeah, nothing like technology just for the sake of so called technology.  Kind of like other goofy nonsense like Amazon's third party stores where you automatically give away all your credit card and banking info to the black hole AKA the internet.  We live in a country where something like 97% of the population owns a smart phone.  What a joke and not a very funny one! 

Skywagon

James please answer your phone😁. Kidding of course. And turn out the lights when you are done

68382822-92AF-41F6-88EE-3600DEE9F49D.jpeg

CF6B63EA-0FF6-4B90-BA3E-EAF7CF58F549.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2

Hi David, Actually my telephone isn't much advanced from that old beauty.  Anyway, that was a good one and not far from the truth.  If I could only turn back the clock about 60 years or so.  I mean just think no internet no social mediaI  lots of nice places left to live I could just go on and on.  Yeah, and I could ride from one end of Seattle to the other in a half hour at high noon 7 days a week.  If only....  Oh, actually we have a light just like that one as well and about as old.  lol..lol..

It is pretty cool to walk up to my '181600B, throw a leg over it, push a button to release the forks, push that button again and light up the dash.

But as I already have the key in my hand to my '17 RT because I have to unlock the 'bike barn' to access either bike anyway, firing up the 'keyed' RT is just as simple, and way less complicated (I don't carry a fob battery nor did I have to read the directions for when a keyless gas cap refuses to open while 200 miles form home either on the keyless bike.)

So given that I actually own both, the keyless stuff is superfluous IMO. Just something more to break sometime down the road (just like my occasional throttle grip / limp mode or the shifter assist that doesn't work sometimes, both issues on the 1600B, and both requiring a restart to make them right again.

I bought both bikes used so I take what I'm offered and I'll suffer through regardless :)

bimmers

And don't forget that as the bike gets to be 10 years old dealer doesn't want to service it, nor take it in for trade at any reasonable value...............

I guess after warranty is over the oil change reminder should be possible to reset otherwise luddites like old stuff as they have a hard time to learn new things (like dogs) but I'm sure they don't have tube radios and 26 inch TVs.......... 

Another annoying BMW thing though is that the TFT display is not configurable, round analog gauges etc.. same goes for their cars... I have a 24 X5 and the display is pretty much fixed..... 

that's it folks let us enjoy the high tech which now also sits on my arm and opens the car and starts it but not so for the bike......

h

Rougarou
6 hours ago, Skywagon said:

James please answer your phone😁. Kidding of course. And turn out the lights when you are done

68382822-92AF-41F6-88EE-3600DEE9F49D.jpeg

CF6B63EA-0FF6-4B90-BA3E-EAF7CF58F549.jpeg

You know, there was a chevy commercial a few years ago that had a 2x4 laid out along side a hand saw and power saw.  Question was, which to use.  The commercial people picked the power saw.  Now, in my garage, I have table saw and a couple of power saws.  I reach for the hand saw for most simple cuts.  Why, it's easy and quick.  Doesn't use electricity, doesn't require me to plug it in and doesn't require me to put in a battery before I use it.  I've laid several 2x4s and 2x6s for single line cuts and used the handsaw vice power saws.......ya, I'm weird like that.

• Like 1
Hosstage

I use my hand saw often, though it really needs a good sharpening (a skill I need to learn). Or, my lazy butt just needs to buy a new one.

As Rougarou says, it's just easier for one or two cuts.

• Like 1

You know I've wondered how resale or trade-in would work when it comes to these new BMWs.  I wonder if or how they can maintain any semblance of value and you can't even buy a factory service manual and what with all the special purpose test equipment I know I will never be in the market for one of these bikes that's for sure.  When the warranty runs its course what's the bike going to be worth and how would you repair it especially when it comes to the sophisticated electronics that and BMW seems to be slipping a bit when it comes to reliability just ask Consumer Reports about that aspect.

We are a very long way from the days of the airhead bikes and that makes me sad to tell the truth.   A key fob and push a button to start your car?  I hope the day never comes when I find I need such a vehicle.

23 hours ago, Stiggy said:

It is pretty cool to walk up to my '18 1600B, throw a leg over it, push a button to release the forks, push that button again and light up the dash.

That reminds me of a guy who had to remove his seat bag, seat, etc., to get the owner's manual out, and find out how to activate the fork locking mechanism. Ha ha. I think I remember reading my bike just requires one push to both unlock and turn ignition on, but not sure about that. I always forget to engage the lock with the keyless ride, so haven't used it at all. Ha ha. With a key, I always remembered. By the way, the lock is engaged by pushing the button for a second or so with the fob in range, for those who might not know. And yes, even though keyless ride seems like a nice feature, I'd much prefer to have a key for my bike, for simplicity, and long-term reliability. I don't care about the connectivity either, which is crap on my 2020 R bike anyway. But I'm happy about all other safety and convenience features of my fully optioned bike, since they're actually useful. I don't mind having keyless ride, which has been reliable so far, but like many others mentioned already, it's not really needed. All of that could be a problem for owners down the line:D... or maybe even myself. Warranty will be over in a few months.