IGNORED

First Timer Ride Meeting

Online Rider Briefing for the First Timer Ride at START 2024.

I/we will be having a rider meeting on Wednesday evening at 7 PM at the motel in Newport, TN, by the BoxFlyer Service Trailer & Tent.

I like to keep these things very simple and don’t really like this to turn into a lecture of any kind. It is just sort of expected to have a briefing when riders meet for a ride the first time. But I hope we all know what we are doing on our bikes and also have enough respect and decency to ride safely with others.

This write up is just to reminder of some of the basics for group riding rules.

I have made reservations at a restaurant for lunch for the group. I would like to get a head count to give some warning to the restaurant.

With the help of volunteer ride leaders, I/we are prepared to spilt the ride into smaller groups each with a ride leader and a sweeper. The teams may have intercom connections. 

On Thursday 4/25/2024 we meet up with our bikes and passengers Ready to ride at 7:45 AM behind the registration office, up on the hill, near the pool. Side Stands Up for the first group by no later than 8:00 AM. With the other groups following in 10 minute intervals. Rain or Fog or Shine.

By Ready to Ride, I mean that you have checked your bike, to make sure it is safe to ride, you checked your tire pressure, have a full tank and empty bladders. It also means full AGATT gear. Rain or Shine or Fog, prepare yourself to be comfortable, dress in layers.

1. This is not a race, everyone please ride your own ride and pace. Keep proper distance to the rider in front of you.

2. I would prefer if there is no passing, unless the rider in front of you waves or asks you to pass him/her.

3. Everyone has to understand and be willing to do is to ”Ride There Own Ride” within the group. This means that you will follow the leader in at least a 4 second distance. On 4 lane highways we normally ride in a staggered 2 second formation. But once we get on 2 lane roads, it is better to keep a longer following distance and to also have the choice to use all of your lane.

4. Try not to cross the double yellow.

5. This group ride will be on paved country roads. You don’t need to have the route in your GPS.

6. It is Important for you to continue following the road until you see the leader marking or waiting at the next turn for everyone to gather up. So, for example if you get to a 4 way intersection and the choice is 2 dirt roads and one paved turn, follow the paved road.

7. It is very important for you to keep an eye out for the rider behind you. If you lose him, slow down, he will catch up to you. The ride leader will know that a problem has developed when no one is behind him any longer. This is important, because sometimes at the start of a ride or after taking a break, someone may have forgotten to buckle their helmet, close a case, plug in the heated gear or something. If this should happen to you, raise your arm, signal and pull over in a safe place, with enough room for any of the following riders to also safely stop. As I said if this happens and you can’t see the guy behind you, pull over or slow down also.

8. The leader of your group needs to know if you need to stop for fuel or other reasons in less then a 100-120 miles. There are stops planned and those should be used to refuel the bikes with small tanks and attend to any personal needs.

9. After the lunch stop there will be a stop at a larger gas station for everyone, before stating the ride back to the motel.

10. If you decide to leave the ride during the ride or at any of the stops, like at lunch. Please let the ride leader or sweeper know. We all have heard of folks getting lost and I myself searched for a guy for 50 miles, before finally getting a call from him that he turned around, because he saw a cloud in the sky.

11. We want everyone to have a safe ride and hopefully a good experience.

12. Pass only when it is safe to do. Don’t worry the ride leader will not leave you.

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
Dennis Andress

Bernie, are we even like on the same planet?

image.jpeg

• Smile 1
Posted (edited)

I think we are, it’s just that our curves at START are a little closer and tighter than yours. :18: Our views are not anything like yours though, but we have fun at lower velocities! It’s ashamed you can’t make it, but we all hope you can make the FART, this fall. 

Edited by Bernie
  • Like 1
Dennis Andress
9 minutes ago, Bernie said:

we have fun at lower velocities!

So, ...   You wouldn't enjoy Torrey to Lee Vining in 8 hours? FART is tempting but,  I've got this itch to go to Forks this fall. Ya'll are welcome to come along with me.

image.png

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
36 minutes ago, Bernie said:

our curves at START are a little closer and tighter than yours.

Right....

P1000847.JPG

• Like 1
Dennis Andress

Enough stupid stuff...  I should be more responsible.

All you newbies: Ride as you are comfortable. Relax and find riders that are moving at a pace you are comfortable with. Enjoy the ride - I wish I could be there.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

Thank you to all the guys and gals that attended the First Timers Group ride on Thursday 4/26/2024 to make a safe and enjoyable ride for everyone.:5210:

Also a massive public thank you to my 5 tireless volunteers that led and assisted with the ride. 
Thank You! 

:5185:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
wbw6cos

Yeah Bernie, one of those helpers were so good, that he actually earned an award for the effort. :yes:

I, too, had a great time on some great roads with some great members on a great ride to a great Mexican restaurant!   That was a mighty tasty burrito.   Thanks!

• Thanks 1