IGNORED

USB port on 2013 Camhead not charging my phone

Bob_1978

Bob_1978

Is the USB port on this bike supposed to charge the phone or is it simply an input to connect an audio input device (like a phone)?

I connected my phone for a recharge and after an hour of riding, it was still at zero percent.

It's odd because when I connect a Garmin GPS to the same port, it does provide power (though I had to buy a data blocker adapter to prevent the GPS from thinking that the bike was a computer.)

For the short time I experimented with using a phone as my GPS device, the USB port on my '13 RT provided power to the phone and that's the only time I've ever tried it. The only problem was the bike's USB port didn't provide enough power to keep up with the phone's GPS app requirement, so it was always in a very slow discharge even though the phone showed it was indeed charging. 

dirtrider
12 hours ago, Bob_1978 said:

Is the USB port on this bike supposed to charge the phone or is it simply an input to connect an audio input device (like a phone)?

I connected my phone for a recharge and after an hour of riding, it was still at zero percent.

It's odd because when I connect a Garmin GPS to the same port, it does provide power (though I had to buy a data blocker adapter to prevent the GPS from thinking that the bike was a computer.)

Morning Bob

According to the BMW  radio manual it should charge but it is limited to USB 2.0. (Look in your BMW radio manual around pages 42 give/or/take.  Manual also says power is limited. 

Are you using a USB cable that is charging capable? Some cables are only data (no charging).

If the cable is a charging cable then try turning the phone OFF then see if it shows it is charging, it might not be putting out enough power to charge an operating phone.