IGNORED

1st Third of Steve's Adventure: Seattle to Denver in 1711 miles (Picture Heavy!)

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Finally I got my photos to load on this slower-than-molasses connection!

These photos represent some of the more interesting shots I took in my three day, 1711 mile trip out to Denver. I’m spending some great time with my parents, sister & niece, in-laws and so on. I’ll be joining the CO Beemers for breakfast this Saturday and will head down to Gunny on Monday.

I typed captions for every photo and have posted all 101 photos so far on my SmugMug site.

Enjoy!

-Dog Dancer

These first two were taken on Oregon Hwy 204 in the NE corner of the state.

75538081-M.jpg

75538844-M-1.jpg

I have known about this road for 6 years. Half of the road is in Oregon and the other half in Washington. In total you get about 20 miles of cliff-hugging twistys! thumbsup.gif

75541310-M.jpg

75601669-M.jpg

Heading south from Grangeville, Idaho

75604571-M.jpg

When I was at this photo op, a fellow and his wife cam up telling me how they would have to make regular trips up the old grade pulling a long horse trailer! Not for me!

75604759-M.jpg

75605488-M.jpg

This was at the Malad Gorge State Park 30 miles NW of Twin Falls, ID. The highway crosses right over the Gorge in farming country. The gorge is 2.5 miles long and 250 feet deep. The falls pouring into the Washbowl is 60 feet high. The churning water looks really evil. eek.gif

75608084-M.jpg

75608641-L-1.jpg

75608760-L-1.jpg

These next three were taken in Utah, SE of Park City on UT 35 over Wolf Creek Pass. The pavement was perfect, well marked, no traffic, decently engineered. In short, FUN! smile.gif

75610377-M.jpg

75610889-L-1.jpg

75611069-M.jpg

These two are on a delightful road in northern Colorado called Twenty Mile Road, connecting Hayden to Oak Creek. Any photos on the new (still smelly) asphalt had to be from the roadway and there was an 8" drop to the shoulder! As you might imagine, the surface was sticky-not oily. Colorado is quickly becoming my new best friend!

75612398-M.jpg

75612781-M.jpg

I don't know what these flowers are, but I'm amazed I got these shots so clearly! I love the color! smile.gif

75613744-M.jpg

75613674-M.jpg

Finally, I'll close with shots of Loveland Pass. Wow.

75614091-M.jpg

75614443-M.jpg

The first day I rode 561 miles. 651 was day 2 and a very long one at that. This past Monday I came in at 499. I had forgotten how different mountain miles are from interstate miles. In every little, podunky town there are slow-downs to 25 mph for a mile or two usually with a K or Ka band radar going off somewhere. I think these police just park a car somewhere and leave the radar on to slow traffic. It sure works!

Tomorrow morning I'm taking a ride up Mt Evans, the highest paved road in the US. Then Monday has me rolling for Gunnison! clap.gif

Steve,

Great pictures (especially liked the red flowers). Enjoy Squaw Pass and see you Saturday morning.

Regards,

Mike O

The scariest ride I've ever been on was the stretch from Enterprise OR to Clarkston Wa on 3. Your shots of the mountain huggers on 204 brought back some memories of that area for me.

LOVE your pictures. Thank you for taking the time to stop and to post. Keep them coming!

Great photos, Steve! The timing of this trip, with everything still green, makes for beautiful pictures. Thanks for taking the time to stop and record the beauty-I usually lack the discipline to pull the bike over.

I rode OR 204/3 for the first time a couple months ago, pretty country and "Oregon's Alps" south of Enterprise and Joseph. Rattlesnake grade has great twisties, but the OR side still had winter's gravel in the corners eek.gif

This summer I will be at the Stanley Stomp for the first time. I won't be able to miss the turnoff at Banks on ID55, although as you found out it's easy to do.

Again, thanks for the photos, they're whetting my appetite for summer riding ahead! Enjoy your trip and we'll hoist a couple in your name in John Day!

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
This summer I will be at the Stanley Stomp for the first time. I won't be able to miss the turnoff at Banks on ID55, although as you found out it's easy to do.
Yeah, it was funny...I was riding with a good rhythm and was looking for something that was a little bigger "town". As it was I think the entire town (at least adjacent to the road) is a tavern. By the time I saw the sign for Gardena, I didn't want to turn around and go back. dopeslap.gif

You lucky dog, you!! wave.gif How do we know that Doug isn't right behind you, doing all these pictures??? Huh, huh, huh....explain that will ya!! grin.gif

Pat

OK, there's Devil's Washbowl, here in SoCal there is Devil's Punchbowl, then somewhere Devil's Tower, in Death Valley Devil's Cornfield....how many other Devil's are there? (sorry for the hijack).

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
OK, there's Devil's Washbowl, here in SoCal there is Devil's Punchbowl, then somewhere Devil's Tower, in Death Valley Devil's Cornfield....how many other Devil's are there? (sorry for the hijack).

This sounds like a great idea for a scavenger hunt! smile.gif

Great shots Dog Dancer.

Makes me feel bad I didn't take any of Kansas. grin.gifgrin.gif

All those miles and time to take pics as well. Impressive. thumbsup.gif

Shawnee Bill

This sounds like a great idea for a scavenger hunt! smile.gif

There's Devil's Den in Arkansas, Devil's graveyard in Oklahoma.

Loved the pictures, especially the road from Enterprise, OR to Anatone, WA!

The scariest ride I've ever been on was the stretch from Enterprise OR to Clarkston Wa on 3. Your shots of the mountain huggers on 204 brought back some memories of that area for me.

Hi,

Next time do it the other direction,then you can stop at the Terminal Gravity Brewery in Enterprise and unwind.It's only a block off the main street.

Do a web search for it,the beer has won a few awards!

JR356

Tomorrow morning I'm taking a ride up Mt Evans , the highest paved road in the US. Then Monday has me rolling for Gunnison! clap.gif

Dog Dancer

Well, by the time I got to the top you were nowhere to be seen. Perhaps you didn't get caught in the rain, sleet, hail, snow that I went thru????

1150501861.jpg

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I've got some great photos that I'll post in another thread, but when I was going up, the sky turned black and it started hailing. I kept going for about 1/4 mile until I couldn't see anything and got tired of the hail bouncing up off of my tankbag and hitting me in the face! eek.gif

I did go and play on Lookout Mtn later in the afternoon. smile.gif

Davitt_Potter
Great shots Dog Dancer.

Makes me feel bad I didn't take any of Kansas. grin.gifgrin.gif

All those miles and time to take pics as well. Impressive. thumbsup.gif

Wait, couldn't you just take one picture and then repeat it 10,000 times for board-(or is that bored??) flat Kansas?

/ducks

AdventurePoser

Steve,

Your shots reminded me of the trip J and I took two years ago into the very same area. Thanks for posting them.

Steve in So Cal

The scariest ride I've ever been on was the stretch from Enterprise OR to Clarkston Wa on 3.

On my road trips, the last few days are reserved as "close your eyes and point at the map" days. Returning to Seattle from Torrey last fall, I picked that stretch of road purely by accident. What a terrific day of riding it turned out to be. thumbsup.gif

Great pictures. Thanks!

I remember going over Wolf Creek Pass back in 69 or was it 72, anyway, I drove my dads 18 wheeler & the road was little more than a path. At least it seemed so. I lost a friend who banked his truck just past the summit pull off coming from Pagosa Springs one day. It was just before the 1st switchback. If I remember right, It was in 71 or 2. The highway has sure changed since then.

Next time do it the other direction,then you can stop at the Terminal Gravity Brewery in Enterprise and unwind.It's only a block off the main street.

Do a web search for it,the beer has won a few awards!

JR356

Not to hijack Steve's thread, but last summer, Big Mac, Doc, Graydog, He Must Not Be Named, and myself camped right on the brewery lot. The owner let us set up basecamp there for a few days while we burnt up the asphalt of the Hell's Canyon area. What a great place to camp! And incredible beer! thumbsup.gif

Archived