IGNORED

R1200rt no start

King louie

King louie

Hi my Rt has suddenly stopped, turn power on all das display correctly go to press the starter button and nothing battery is full charged any ideas

dirtrider
3 hours ago, King louie said:

Hi my Rt has suddenly stopped, turn power on all das display correctly go to press the starter button and nothing battery is full charged any ideas

Morning  King louie

Need more info to really tell you much. 

What year 1200RT? 

When was the last time that it started normally?

Is the neutral light ON? 

Is the fuel gauge showing correct fuel level with key-on? 

Do you hear ANYTHING when you push the start button. 

Have you tried starting with side stand UP? 

Transmission has to be in neutral (neutral light on), OR, clutch lever has to be pulled in (assuming clutch switch is working). If side stand is down then must be in neutral. 

You could have anything from a broken wire, to a failed starter relay, to failed starter, to a stack-up of failed start inhibit switches. 

What is your battery voltage when you are pushing the starter button?  Fully charged but bad battery won't always allow starter operation.   

Was ANY work done on that motorcycle just prior to it not starting???????

King louie

It’s a 2014 update I have got it started the issue seems to be it’s not showing it’s in neutral on dash and not showing which gear it is in any ideas on this fault ?

King louie
6 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  King louie

What year 1200RT? 

Is the neutral light ON? 

Transmission has to be in neutral (neutral light on), OR, clutch lever has to be pulled in (assuming clutch switch is working). If side stand is down then must be in neutral. 

You could have anything from a broken wire, to a failed starter relay, to failed starter, to a stack-up of failed start inhibit switches. 

What is your battery voltage when you are pushing the starter button?  Fully charged but bad battery won't always allow starter operation.   

• Members
  • Joined Apr 2024

It’s a 2014 update I have got it started the issue seems to be it’s not showing it’s in neutral on dash and not showing which gear it is in any ideas on this fault ?

6 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  King louie

What year 1200RT? 

Is the neutral light ON? 

dirtrider
2 hours ago, King louie said:

It’s a 2014 update I have got it started the issue seems to be it’s not showing it’s in neutral on dash and not showing which gear it is in any ideas on this fault ?

Afternoon King louie

The usual causes are: A failing neutral switch (on rear of transmission),  or a broken or compromised neutral switch circuit wire, or a compromised connector terminal, or the transmission selector shaft seal is leaking so the neutral switch is now full of gear oil. Or possibly even a power-up issue.

Does the neutral light still not work correctly with the engine running? If it doesn't work with the key ON but does work with the engine running that will tell us an important detail on what to look at, or look for? 

It also sounds like you might have a bad clutch lever switch as it should start in gear with the side stand up & clutch lever pulled in (assuming the starting problem IS in the neutral switch or it's circuitry)

On the 2014, BMW also had a bunch of problems with failed switches on the handlebars, so if it turns out that the neutral light isn't the problem then maybe look at the R/H handlebar switch pod assembly. (those can sometimes be difficult to pin down with intermittent starting issues)

Next time you get a no-crank/no-start condition look to see if the gas gauge is working correctly. If it isn't then suspect the R/H start switch/kill switch button  is acting up. 

The neutral light should still work with a failed kill switch/start switch but the gas gauge won't be working. 

King louie

Hi Many thanks for the support most appreciated so here is what i have the bike does not show it in Gear or neutral, i put it into neutral and started it of the stand which worked, couple of questions 1) will it do any damage to ride it like this  2) what is the most likely cause for this and any suggestions on where to get parts from cheers paul

dirtrider
4 hours ago, King louie said:

Hi Many thanks for the support most appreciated so here is what i have the bike does not show it in Gear or neutral, i put it into neutral and started it of the stand which worked, couple of questions 1) will it do any damage to ride it like this  2) what is the most likely cause for this and any suggestions on where to get parts from cheers paul

Morning King louie

It won't hurt to ride it like that but keep in mind that until you identify the problem & what is causing it, if you stall the engine, or turn it off, then you might not get it re-started. 

A little more Info would help but basically if it isn't showing N or any GEAR position on the dash then it is probably a defective (or gear oil contaminated) neutral/gear position switch, OR, a disconnected  neutral/gear position pig tail connector, or broken wires in the neutral/gear position switch circuit. 

The neutral/gear position switch bolts to the rear of transmission over the transmission selector shaft protrusion. If the selector shaft seal is leaking it allows the transmission gear oil to migrate into the neutral/gear position switch. (I have seen a few 1200 bikes have this problem).

Otherwise follow the wire pigtail from the neutral/gear position switch forward to above the side stand area then see if the neutral/gear position switch pigtail connector is still plugged into the main wire harness. 

I saw one about a year ago that the neutral/gear position switch wire pigtail came out of it's retaining clip in the shift linkage area then the shifter linkage between the shift lever & transmission stub shaft wore the wire pigtail until it failed. (longshot but worth looking at)