IGNORED

Lug nuts and speedbleeders

Skywagon

Skywagon

Do you ever replace non-damaged rear lug studs and if so why?  How about speedbleeders...yes or no.

My rear wheel has been off (currently off) maybe 5-8 times.  Nothing visually wrong with the lug studs, but wonder if after a period of time and several times of breaking loose and torquing they should be replaced.

With only 44 ft/lbs of torque each, I wouldn't worry about that at all. If it was necessary, you'd for sure find that recommendation in the manual. Having said that, if you see any sort of damage on the threads, the heads getting rounded, or any other form of wear, then I'd definitely replace them, as they shouldn't be that expensive.

dirtrider
8 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Do you ever replace non-damaged rear lug studs and if so why?  How about speedbleeders...yes or no.

My rear wheel has been off (currently off) maybe 5-8 times.  Nothing visually wrong with the lug studs, but wonder if after a period of time and several times of breaking loose and torquing they should be replaced.

Morning  David

I only replace if damaged (usually inside the torx head worn or damaged), or if the threads are showing signs of damage or corrosion. Those darn bolts are about $10.00 apiece. 

If possible I usually do a torque recheck (on alloy wheels) at about  500 miles.

Most know my feeling on speed bleeders but some riders do use them. I haven't ever found that speed bleeders are needed on a motorcycle if a proper bleed bottle is used with the bleed hose exiting below fluid level. 

Over the years I have removed a number of broken speed bleeders from motorcycles (they can be a REAL PAIN to remove).  

strataj

David, I really like speed bleeder.  Living in the country I don't have a helper, speed bleeders make is easy and fast to change the fluid.  One important thing, keep and eye on the fluid level, too easy to pull the lever. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
8 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Most know my feeling on speed bleeders but some riders do use them. I haven't ever found that speed bleeders are needed on a motorcycle

I'll NEVER use speed-bleeders either (and same thing with those 'Fumoto' oil drain valves). And they're NOT needed on a motorcycle OR car for a 1-man job at all. All you need is a vacuum fluid extractor, which is what I have used for decades. Very quick and simple. And to avoid running the reservoir dry on cars, there are large special bottles that auto-feed fluid, but I just keep an eye on fluid and top off reservoir as needed when level gets to the 'min' line. Vacuum bleeding goes slowly enough that it's easy to keep track of fluid level. On my bike, it's super easy to do. On cars, I have to get up and down behind the wheels to open/close the valves, but it's good exercise. Ha ha. Recently did the 2nd brake bleed job on my bike (first when new, since it was 2 years old from build date), when both wheels were at dealer for new tires. And cleaned calipers/pistons perfectly too.

realshelby

Well, I absolutely LOVE my speed bleeders! Yes, there may be compromises to using them. I just have not run into them yet. 

Still on my original wheel fasteners. I do clean the threads each time they are out. No lubrication, just a wire brush and clean off with a blast of air. I also blow out the hub threads. 

• Like 1
MikeB60

The kbike has 65000 miles and has been through a metric s*** ton of tires.  Then there is 160 hp and 130 lbft of torque and I'm not shy about using them. The rear wheel fasteners are original. 

• Like 1
  • Smile 1