IGNORED

engine protection options

MarkD

I'm picking up a new to me, very low milage, 2016 R1200RT tomorrow. 

I'm interested in putting on some type of engine protection, cylinder head cover, crash bar...

I'm sure there are many to choose from but I'm hoping there are a few favorites among the people who have experience with these bikes. 

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Rinkydink

I really like Illium. The rear bars are removable and inconspicuous. Basic maintenance is possible without removing them. The owner posts a video showing his trust in the product on their website. Not cheap but nothing is. 

https://iliumworks.com/index.cfm

• Plus 1 1

Thanks for the suggestion. When I go to their website I see the rear bars, I see no reference to front bars. DO they not make front bars?

I personally like to keep my bike looking stock, PLUS I don't want anything that hinders cornering clearance (especially on a boxer), so the best option for me were the excellent MachineArtMoto (or MAM) head covers, which I also have on my current 1250R. The frame tubular bars look sturdier, and theoretically offer better protection (at the expense of some cornering clearance), BUT some owners have expressed concern that they haven't been crash-tested, and could cause more damage than the MAMs, and other head-only protection. But who knows. If you don't corner aggressively, then bars are another option for sure. Rear bars attach to the sub-frame, so I'd be much less concerned about those. Good luck.

BamaJohn

I have a complete set of Ilium bars (front & rear, with hardware) that I'll be listing for sale after START '24.

They were on my 2017 RT; are satin black; and in very good condition.

• Like 1
wbw6cos

I have the Shift Cam motor on my '19 RT and can whole heartedly confirm the ilium works drop bars.  At least 6 or 7 times, but who's counting.   Side case protection works well, too.   My RT is still based on the '18 chassis, by the way.   

I even have the matching paint to touch up any blemishes that occur.  :ohboy:

Thanks, for all your suggestions. It sounds like ilium is the favorite. I am purchasing a set of the ilium front and rear bars.