IGNORED

Interesting GM Dealer Oil Change

Skywagon

I take my Tahoe to the dealer for oil changes.  They do it for less than I can buy the oil and filter for.  About every 90 days I get a coupon for a discount that is below what I could do it for.

I took it in this week and had it done.  I'm always amazed that even with an appointment it takes 2 hours.  The dealership recently changed hands and the new owners have some interesting rules.  My Tahoe holds 8 quarts of 0-30 Dex.  They charge me the coupon price, and new is a disposal fee and shop supplies.  OK...shop supplies seem to be on all things service these days.

After they said the truck was ready, I decided I wanted a quart of oil to take with me.  It never burns oil...but you know old guys like to carry oil.  When they rang it up the oil was the usual price of $12, but on top of that they had a shop supply fee of $3.50....Seriously on a quart of to go oil.  Stubborn as I am, it took 3 different managers to take that off the bill.  I'm actually surprised I looked at the bill before paying it, but glad I did.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
syntorz
2 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

If only you could still get it.

Shell Rotella Gas Truck Full Synthetic Engine Oil 0W-20, 1 Quart

Hey! Are you trying to turn this oil thread into an oil thread!?

• Haha 2
Joe Frickin' Friday
13 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

I take my Tahoe to the dealer for oil changes.  They do it for less than I can buy the oil and filter for. 

I had a coupon for a cheap oil change at the dealer some years ago.  Just like you said, cheaper than I could do it on my own, so I went for it.  

The next time I changed the oil myself, and I discovered that when they did the oil change, they had left half a dozen screws out of the big plastic shroud under the engine.  On top of that, the oil filter was barely finger tight.  I haven't been back since.  

• Plus 1 2

Did they supply you with a free oil rag? :dontknow: Like I got with my truck’s first oil change… :classic_angry:

Didn’t instill confidence in their work. :facepalm:

image.thumb.jpeg.769ba1132d4b653e2b51bcb9668ff519.jpeg

Skywagon
27 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Did they supply you with a free oil rag

Hmm.  I'll look..maybe that is shop supply fee.

• Haha 3
John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

I take my Tahoe to the dealer for oil changes.  They do it for less than I can buy the oil and filter for.  About every 90 days I get a coupon for a discount that is below what I could do it for.

I took it in this week and had it done.  I'm always amazed that even with an appointment it takes 2 hours.  The dealership recently changed hands and the new owners have some interesting rules.  My Tahoe holds 8 quarts of 0-30 Dex.  They charge me the coupon price, and new is a disposal fee and shop supplies.  OK...shop supplies seem to be on all things service these days.

After they said the truck was ready, I decided I wanted a quart of oil to take with me.  It never burns oil...but you know old guys like to carry oil.  When they rang it up the oil was the usual price of $12, but on top of that they had a shop supply fee of $3.50....Seriously on a quart of to go oil.  Stubborn as I am, it took 3 different managers to take that off the bill.  I'm actually surprised I looked at the bill before paying it, but glad I did.  

Soon, this item will appear on receipts:  "Just because   $5.00"

• Haha 4
  • Thinking 2