IGNORED

LOVE THIS BIKE

steve68

steve68

So I just wanted to share my feelings about the R1150R.

I was feeling a little frustrated with having a 22 year old bike, always something to fix, adjust, figure out, replace.  Finally thought about getting a younger bike that I could just ride and not need to do so much upkeep.  I went as far as test driving an F800ST.  Hmmmm....

Decided to get my '02R running (with the help of this forum) and got out on the road this week.

I find the quality of the R1150 ride much more solid than the F800 was.  There is a heft and depth to the R1150 that was totally lacking in the F800.  I understand the engine has 50% more displacement.  However  the smoothness, the balance, the feel is just superior IMO.

I don't see myself getting a different bike anytime soon.  Love my R.

• Like 4
DakarTimm

I bought my 2002 R1150R new . Although I've owned a great many bikes and am currently riding a 2016 R1200RS , the R1150R is missed the most. I've never ridden a bike that made going quickly ,smoothly be so easy..An almost perfect postion with more than enough torque.

King Herald

I was a die hard Japanese four guy for many, many years, and only bought my Oilhead as a novelty 8 years ago. It very soon became my favourite bike ever. I’ve done over 70,000 miles on it now, with a total of 113,000 It’s  27 years old and a bit tired, a bit scruffy, but I still ride it every day.

:18:

• Like 3
steve68

My bike has 51k miles, 34k of them mine.  From providence RI ti Philly, DC, Vermont.  Sheepskin seat cover, wunderlich screen.  Can't wait to get back out.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Dennis Andress featured this topic
Paul De

While not an R, I still enjoy riding my R1100RT.   I mostly ride my Wethead RT these days, but my wife still prefers riding with me on the Oilhead. Having two RTs from two eras has been interesting to compare the two as they are quite different from each other.  I’ve described the difference between them as the Oilhead being a gentleman in a tuxedo, while the Wethead is a rogue in a tuxedo. Both bring some joy to ride in very different ways.

I used to keep the Oilhead at our place in the Northwoods so having a ride at two locations separated by 4.5 hours made sense, but we recently consolidated to one home and having both an Oilhead and Wethead RTs in  the same garage no longer makes sense and I have decided the Oilhead is going to find a new home.  The wife is a little sad that I picked to keep the Wethead, but overall I like the newer version more.  

She’ll have that moment to get really POed at me  when I find a good used KLR for the fire roads in the National Forests all around these parts. Haha she thinks I’m scaling back to one bike.  Nope! Just making room to be able to have right tool for the type of riding that will be done that day :revit:

• Thinking 1
Redfoxx
7 minutes ago, Paul De said:

Haha, agreed, as I’m a spouse :revit: 

up here in the northwoods Wisconsin, there are out of staters clogging everything up now Thursday thru Monday.

Your cant have a leisurely ride without someone on your back fender in a hurry to go no where.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
steve68

Seems to be that way more and more everywhere.  Really have to choose when and where to ride nowadays.

Paul De

Roads in these parts are mostly about not getting taken out by deer, or wild turkey.  Holidays have plenty of Weekend Warriors though and they can be a pain to cope with on the roads and spoil the joy of ridding. There are also lots of ruffled grouse around here and they are so dumb they will just stand still in the road as you pass them, but their small and not too threatening.  They stand so still you might be able to just hit their head and have the rest left unspoiled for dinner😉

Redfoxx
5 hours ago, Paul De said:

Roads in these parts are mostly about not getting taken out by deer, or wild turkey.  Holidays have plenty of Weekend Warriors though and they can be a pain to cope with on the roads and spoil the joy of ridding. There are also lots of ruffled grouse around here and they are so dumb they will just stand still in the road as you pass them, but their small and not too threatening.  They stand so still you might be able to just hit their head and have the rest left unspoiled for dinner😉

I am only 90 minutes from Minneapolis  and the other direction is Hayward mostly Illinois. 

• Plus 1 1
  • Dennis Andress unfeatured this topic