IGNORED

DOING MY OWN MAINTENANCE

RICHRS59

RICHRS59

I'm looking to buy a 2024 RS and prefer to do most of the wrenching myself.  Fluid and filter changes, brake pads, valve adjustments, tire changes, etc.

Aside from some special tools is there anything that I should be concerned with?  

Also, I can't seem to find a BMW shop manual.  Can someone point be in the right direction for one?

Thanks,

Rich

wbw6cos

Hi Rich, welcome to the board.  A sticky topic for discussion, but BMW decided a couple of years ago to quite selling the factory service manual.   There  are serveral notable Tech folks online that have videos that  give you a better idea than no  FSM.   As far as the RS spcific model, you can post in the Shift Cam forum for questions for other owners of that bike.   The Shift Cam motor is common enough to view a video or two from our resident helpful  tech  by the name of @Boxflyer    He has some great videos that cover the motor, for sure, but as far as the chassis is concerned, I do not know how much the difference between the RS and the RT, which are covered in the Boxflyer videos.   See HERE for his youtube channel

Cheers!

• Like 1
RadioFlyer

For most of its history BMW Motorrad made service information available. This enabled owners and independent techs to undertake most service and repair procedures themselves. For many doing one's own maintenance is a valued part of the motorcycle ownership experience. For others, who live far from the nearest BMW dealership or who embark on a great adventure to remote places, doing it yourself is the only option. Similarly independent techs having service information give greater choice to those who don't want to DIY.

All that changed in 2021 when BMW discontinued the provision of service information on ALL bikes old and new. Only bootleg copies of the factory service manual are available now. Haynes/Clymer/Chilton haven't produced a BMW motorcycle manual since 2018. If you own one of the most recent models you are totally out of luck.

More and more we hear that BMW dealerships will not service bikes older than 10 years. When you combine the absence of service information with the unavailability of dealer service it does not bode at all well for the resale value of recent BMW bikes.

Fortunately there are quality alternative motorcycle manufacturers out there still offering service manuals. No way will I buy a motorcycle for which the manufacturer will not sell a service manual. 

I had no trouble whatsoever finding the iso file for the RSD (repair and service data September 2017 edition doing a Google search  It is not even piracy because it can no longer be obtained through official channels. I use that for the '13 R bike I have.

As mentioned already, you can't get the shiftcam manual any more, but your servicing is covered by Boxflyer and the other guy who charges for his videos.

7 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

I do not know how much the difference between the RS and the RT

The main frame and power-train is basically the same on all R1250s. As far as RT vs RS, the biggest difference is the RS (and R) has no tele-lever (upside-down forks instead), and only half fairing (vs full). The RS and R are the most similar, with the only differences being the R having sportier steering geometry, handlebars (vs clip-ons), and no half fairing. All R1250s have the same TFT except the RT (which is larger). All R1250s have the same 17" cast wheels except the GSs (different sizes, and optional spoked ones). All R1250s have tele-lever, except the R and RS. And most options are available on all. I wish I could find a service manual for a R1250, but so far I haven't seen that mentioned, even though some say BMW made manuals until 2022 or so. Like Hati said, since BMW doesn't even offer anything anymore, I wouldn't feel bad getting a copy if I get the opportunity. I'd gladly pay for one if it was available. But like it was mentioned, for basically all we could do as owners, there's some kind of tutorial or video available from the wonderful members already mentioned.

5 hours ago, JCtx said:

I wouldn't feel bad getting a copy if I get the opportunity.

The problem with the shiftcam manual/dvd (the latest issue that was available) is that it needs activation, unlike the RSD for the pre-shiftcam bikes. It can be installed on another computer, (for example changing laptops) but I have no idea how simultaneous installs and activations work. Would it cancel one install if you activate it on another machine? I can't answer that and for that reason I will not share my copy.

Again, this is the pre-2021 10.25" TFT shiftcam RT manual. I don't believe the '21 on RT manual was ever made public.

I have offered before, however that I can print out required pages (pdf) and email it to anyone who needs it. That offer still stands.

• Like 1
RICHRS59

Thanks all for the information.  I will check out the available member postings.

I purchased a pirated RS1250 manual on e bay for $39 usd . it is for a 2022 model with non EAS suspension .  It gives me all the real important items except fork oil lvl .  

My dealer though with our history was kind enough to tell me the amount .   My RS is a 2023 . After working on GS1250's , RS 1250's , GSA 1200's and RT1200's the big differences are mainly body work disassembly.  the R mode being the easiest followed by RS , the GS , and RT being the most time consuming .   I removed crash bars and checked the RT's cam timing , and valves faster than changing the Air filter .      

RT service 2.jpg

RT service 3.jpg

RT service 4.jpg

RT service.jpg

RT service 5.jpg

Dennis Andress
On 4/21/2024 at 5:58 PM, c10 said:

I purchased a pirated RS1250 manual on e bay for $39 usd .

If that's your thing then please keep it to yourself. There's a few people here who use legally licensed software in their day jobs, lets respect that.

I'm saving for Porsche's diagnostic notebook...

IMG_1277.jpeg

• Plus 1 1
3 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

I'm saving for Porsche's diagnostic notebook...

At least you CAN buy one officially/legally if you choose to. BMW stopped selling ALL of their repair manuals no matter the format. I was lucky to be able to buy the first shiftcam DVD, but the latest model (10.25" TFT) RT manual was never released to the dealers to sell.

I just did my 6000 mile oil change on my 2023 RS engine and final drive.  Using my OBDlink MX+ & Motoscan (Ultimate) App I reset my service interval mileage and date. This combination will serve you well as it does almost everything required to service your BMW. Your other option is the GS-911 unit. You will need either of these to do your own service. Enjoy your new ride!  BTW that OBDlink MX+ has many available Apps that let you use it with other 2 and 4 wheel vehicles!

Dennis Andress
6 hours ago, Hati said:

At least you CAN buy one officially/legally if you choose to. BMW stopped selling ALL of their repair manuals no matter the format. I was lucky to be able to buy the first shiftcam DVD, but the latest model (10.25" TFT) RT manual was never released to the dealers to sell.

You can bitch at me for something neither of us can control, or thank dirtrider for hanging out around here…

• Like 2
Rougarou
6 hours ago, Hati said:

piratebay,......that's all I got to say about that.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
Dennis Andress
4 hours ago, Rougarou said:

piratebay,.....

Didn’t those guys all go to jail?

Rougarou

It's still and active site and utorrent still works

Now,

Wanted: 7.3L Best Source For Fuel Bowl Seal Replacement Kit (Diesel ...