IGNORED

Long Tour Advice

Bistro

Hi Folks,

I'm taking my 2000 R1100RT-P on a 6,000 tour starting next month. Vermont to Taos NM to Boise ID and back through Canada. Spent the winter going over the usual everything, and the bike is running well. I've been riding for 45+ years, and this is the longest trip I've planned. My Questions:

• What tools do you bring for on the road mishaps? I have tire patch kit, mini compressor, jump start pack, and the standard hand tool kit. What else do you find important?
  • What spare parts would you bring?
  • Any other advice?

Thanks!

• Like 1
dirtrider
41 minutes ago, Bistro said:

Hi Folks,

I'm taking my 2000 R1100RT-P on a 6,000 tour starting next month. Vermont to Taos NM to Boise ID and back through Canada. Spent the winter going over the usual everything, and the bike is running well. I've been riding for 45+ years, and this is the longest trip I've planned. My Questions:

• What tools do you bring for on the road mishaps? I have tire patch kit, mini compressor, jump start pack, and the standard hand tool kit. What else do you find important?
  • Any other advice?

Thanks!

Afternoon  Bistro

You might take an HES as those are probably not in stock in most areas. 

Are your brake hoses replaced? If not then you should probably replace those before your trip. 

Back when I was traveling long distance on the 1100 or 1150 I didn't take much with me but I had things like HES, final drive crown bearing, throttle cable, etc at home & labeled so it could be quickly over-nighted to me if needed. 

I did carry a long lightweight tow strap, homemade lightweight jumper cables (now would carry a small starter pack),

On the air pump, again light weight, small 12v compressor with the housing removed to make much smaller & the hose shorted (to store easier) & the wires lengthened to allow the pump to get out to the wheels  (easire to pack with a short hose but longer smaller wires).

Definitely  carry some replacement fuses & a small 12v test light (or a small voltameter),

Wind some tape on a pencil & wind some mechanics wire on that same pencil,

Take some zip ties, 

A small forehead type  light is also a BIG plus if you have problems at night like a flat tire or other issue,

I had a homemade tire patch kit so hopefully someone else can tell you what they carry as a store bought patch kit. 

Added: 

I forgot in the above but a small (not full sized) pair of vise grips is a great (fit-all/ do-all) type tool as it can become a shift lever, or a clutch lever, or a hose pinch-off, or a wrench, or clamp.

Find all the BMW dealers that will along (or close to) your route complete with phone numbers & hours.  You could Google them but  a quick list is nice if at night or frustrated.  

A credit card & a cell phone is probably your best choice of tools to take. 

The common thing in the above are "light weight" & "small". 

Actually the very best thing that you can take with you is a fellow 2nd rider as they can tow you, or go for parts or go for help, plus keep a cool head when you are frustrated & don't. 

• Like 3

Sounds like a great ride!  You don't say how long you are planning to take for the ride?

You won't need an oil change, so don't need filter or oil, and if it gets low, you can easily get oil

I have a new to me 2019 R1250RT, and last year, I replaced both tires, brakes, oil, final drive, etc-   Whatever tools I needed to do these simple repairs I set aside and that is now what I carry.  If something more serious happens,  I have AAA for a tow.  I know some folks take their whole shop with them.  My left side pannier is my tool kit/tire kit, bike cover, first aid kit.  I hope to never open it on the trips I take (this week WI-WV, VA, TN, KY).  

My top case is too many pair of gloves, windshield cleaner, cleaning cloths, snacks, papers/registration/instructions for GPS and Clearwater lights. 

Right pannier is a small bag for clothes.  I travel lightly.  I don't care for extra bags on the bike, but I haven't camped for 50 years, and not starting now.  

Less to bring, is less to lose and take care of along the way.

Enjoy the ride.   

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Bistro said:

Hi Folks,

• Any other advice?

Thanks!

Adding to D.R.'s excellent advice (135k on my 2004 RT)

• various size zip ties  
  • electrical tape
  • various electrical crimp connectors
  • spare 14-16 ga. wire
  • assorted new crush washers
  • Years ago I added a spare oil sight glass and appropriate sized socket, but have failed to need it so far
  • Mini multimeter
  • Spare ignition/saddlebag key

The only repair I've had to do recently was for a fellow riding buddy's R90s. The tranny shift lever seal was leaking fairly bad. We removed it and added several wraps of electrical tape to increase the diameter of the shaft. It worked like a charm the rest of the 1500 mile trip. :)

Also, check to see your saddlebags are very tight when mounted. As they age, they can get a bit loose and one large bump can send them flying. (ask me how I know). If they're loose, there's several methods to secure them much better using latch pins. Also a good idea to check all the fastening points. You'll have the bags loaded, so you don't want a hidden crack expanding a thousand miles from home.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon  Bistro

You might take an HES as those are probably not in stock in most areas. 

Are your brake hoses replaced? If not then you should probably replace those before your trip. 

Back when I was traveling long distance on the 1100 or 1150 I didn't take much with me but I had things like HES, final drive crown bearing, throttle cable, etc at home & labeled so it could be quickly over-nighted to me if needed. 

I did carry a long lightweight tow strap, homemade lightweight jumper cables (now would carry a small starter pack),

On the hair pump, again light weight, small 12v compressor with the housing removed to make much smaller & the hose shorted (to store easier) & the wires lengthened to allow the pump to get out to the wheels  (easire to pack with a short hose but longer smaller wires).

Definitely  carry some replacement fuses & a small 12v test light (or a small voltameter),

Wind some tape on a pencil & wind some mechanics wire on that same pencil,

Take some zip ties, 

A small forehead type  light is also a BIG plus if you have problems at night like a flat tire or other issue,

I had a homemade tire patch kit so hopefully someone else can tell you what they carry as a store bought patch kit. 

Added: 

I forgot in the above but a small (not full sized) pair of vise grips is a great (fit all/ do all) type tool as it can become a shift lever, or a clutch lever, or a hose pinch-off, or a wrench, or clamp.

Find all the BMW dealers that will along (or close to) your route complete with phone numbers & hours.  You could Google them but  a quick list is nice if at night or frustrated.  

Thanks Dirtrider - all good advice. Yes, brake lines are new SS last year. I also joined BMW MOA, so I have dealers - helpers on the app. Hadn't thought of the vice grips - they saved me many times in my old chopper days!

28 minutes ago, DBULL said:

Sounds like a great ride!  You don't say how long you are planning to take for the ride?

You won't need an oil change, so don't need filter or oil, and if it gets low, you can easily get oil

I have a new to me 2019 R1250RT, and last year, I replaced both tires, brakes, oil, final drive, etc-   Whatever tools I needed to do these simple repairs I set aside and that is now what I carry.  If something more serious happens,  I have AAA for a tow.  I know some folks take their whole shop with them.  My left side pannier is my tool kit/tire kit, bike cover, first aid kit.  I hope to never open it on the trips I take (this week WI-WV, VA, TN, KY).  

My top case is too many pair of gloves, windshield cleaner, cleaning cloths, snacks, papers/registration/instructions for GPS and Clearwater lights. 

Right pannier is a small bag for clothes.  I travel lightly.  I don't care for extra bags on the bike, but I haven't camped for 50 years, and not starting now.  

Less to bring, is less to lose and take care of along the way.

Enjoy the ride.   

Thanks for the comments, DBULL. I'll be leaving Vermont around May 15. Planning mostly state hiways. 5 days or so to Taos to visit my son for a week. 3-4 days following the continental devide up to Boise to visit my daughter for another week. 5-6 days through the northern Midwest into Canada and back home. Figuring 5 or so weeks total. Tools, equipment, rain gear in the panniers, asst gloves, cleaning cloths, whatever in the back box., Small tank bag and a 50 L drybag on the passenger seat.

Looking forward to a laid back road trip - ity's been a while!

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, RPG said:

Adding to D.R.'s excellent advice (135k on my 2004 RT)

• various size zip ties  
  • electrical tape
  • various electrical crimp connectors
  • spare 14-16 ga. wire
  • assorted new crush washers
  • Years ago I added a spare oil sight glass and appropriate sized socket, but have failed to need it so far
  • Mini multimeter
  • Spare ignition/saddlebag key

The only repair I've had to do recently was for a fellow riding buddy's R90s. The tranny shift lever seal was leaking fairly bad. We removed it and added several wraps of electrical tape to increase the diameter of the shaft. It worked like a charm the rest of the 1500 mile trip. :)

Also, check to see your saddlebags are very tight when mounted. As they age, they can get a bit loose and one large bump can send them flying. (ask me how I know). If they're loose, there's several methods to secure them much better using latch pins. Also a good idea to check all the fastening points. You'll have the bags loaded, so you don't want a hidden crack expanding a thousand miles from home.

Thanks RPG, all good advice.

8 minutes ago, Bistro said:

Thanks for the comments, DBULL. I'll be leaving Vermont around May 15. Planning mostly state hiways. 5 days or so to Taos to visit my son for a week. 3-4 days following the continental devide up to Boise to visit my daughter for another week. 5-6 days through the northern Midwest into Canada and back home. Figuring 5 or so weeks total. Tools, equipment, rain gear in the panniers, asst gloves, cleaning cloths, whatever in the back box., Small tank bag and a 50 L drybag on the passenger seat.

Looking forward to a laid back road trip - ity's been a while!

You're going to see some amazing things, and you are wise in taking this much time.   Looking forward to hearing about the trip.  

• Like 1
Jim Moore

I'd carry a HES, a fuel filter, an alternator belt, and a full set of cables. I'd have all the tools I needed to change them. I'd have a way to plug and inflate a tire. I'd zip-tie a set of spare keys to a hidden spot on the frame. I'd have a starter and a driveshaft packed up and ready to ship. Maybe a set of levers, in case you drop the bike?

• Like 1
Hosstage

Meds.

Medical insurance card.

AAA with premium or RV coverage.

Credit card(s).

Cell phone.

The other kit listed above. Spare keys are a really good idea.

Patience when it may not be a good time to ride due to weather or health (mental or otherwise).

Good luck and have fun, I'm a little jealous!

• Like 3
King Herald

For a long time I carried enough tools to pretty much strip my bike down to the ground, but only the tools I needed, the right sized sockets, a 3/8 ratchet drive, Allen keys, certain wrenches, an adjustable, plus a small bottle filled with various nuts, bolts, hose clips, some wire, and some crimp on fittings, a puncture kit, electric compressor, etc.

In 70,000 miles on this bike I’ve only ever broken down twice, and both times I had to be trailered home. And both times I was but ten miles from home. First one was HES failure, second time was my left side cam tensioner came loose, spewing enough oil out to trigger the low oil pressure light. I’d swapped the upgraded version in 8000 miles previously and it had somehow worked loose, very suddenly. 

In theory I could have fixed the tensioner problem, but it was dark, I was at the side of a busy road, I couldn’t see where the leak was actually from, and I had no spare oil anyway. 

Nowadays I carry just a bare minimum of tools, but if I go touring again I’ll sort out my full kit. 

• Like 1
lukaspriest

I perked up when you mentioned you were coming through my hometown of Boise........I saw you plan on heading up north from there to Canada.  I hear that riding the "Lolo Pass" (From Kooskia, Idaho to Lolo, Montana) is one of the most incredible rides you can take on a motorcycle.  It's at the top of my priority list once I get my '94 RS upgraded with stainless steel brake lines this next week.  If you have any mechanical problems while you're in the Boise area, I have lots of tools you can use.  I wish you safe travels!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, lukaspriest said:

I perked up when you mentioned you were coming through my hometown of Boise........I saw you plan on heading up north from there to Canada.  I hear that riding the "Lolo Pass" (From Kooskia, Idaho to Lolo, Montana) is one of the most incredible rides you can take on a motorcycle.  It's at the top of my priority list once I get my '94 RS upgraded with stainless steel brake lines this next week.  If you have any mechanical problems while you're in the Boise area, I have lots of tools you can use.  I wish you safe travels!

Thanks lukaspriest! My daughter lives in Eagle, her husband rides a K75 that he's had for decades. I've been over Lolo pass, back in the 80's, it's a sweet ride. As I came over the pass into Montana I came across a mother bear and her 2 cubs in the middle of the road. An eye opener for sure.

Hope you have many happy miles on the RS. 

• Like 1
Shane J.

I carry the same tool kit I use at home. Has everything I need short of removing transmission or swingarm. It's still a small rollup. This has saved me many times. Most important to be able to remove the bodywork. If it's not a tool I use regularly it won't be in the kit. This also matches your tool kit to your mechanical abilities.

• Like 1
King Herald

This was how I carried my tools on the bike, bought it on ebay I think. It can roll up nice and tight, and can be hung from the handlebar when you use it, or laid out on the floor. Good solid construction too. 

IMG_9207.thumb.jpeg.7f12e59be1bf935c2f8f721df6299370.jpeg

IMG_9206.thumb.jpeg.89618ee7d6855611ff30d96ccd787bf6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve put a few miles on BMWs and I’ve needed Water and Jerky much more than tools or oil. Just do the best preparation you can and enjoy the ride.

I carry a roll of tp not a toilet…

• Like 1

Thanks Bumwah. I think I've got it down to the essentials. Y'know, I did a lot of cross country hitchhiking way back in the day and learned how to pack what was important. I'm touching into that mindset. Just 2 weeks till I hit the road. Lotsa time, mostly 2 lane state highways, and a bunch of curiosity for what's along the way. 

Be well, my friend! 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm packing enough to fix a flat, jump start the bike, pull both wheels, change a clutch cable, not get lost, stay dry, cure a headache, hydrate, snack, bandage cuts, listen to tunes, pay for gas, get in and out of Canada, lock up at night, prove who I am, keep my butt clean and teeth healthy. Hopefully I'll stay outa trouble and have great stories to tell.

If you get bored you can follow my blog at: https://russrueger.weebly.com/blog---2024-road-trip

Cheers! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bistro said:

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm packing enough to fix a flat, jump start the bike, pull both wheels, change a clutch cable, not get lost, stay dry, cure a headache, hydrate, snack, bandage cuts, listen to tunes, pay for gas, get in and out of Canada, lock up at night, prove who I am, keep my butt clean and teeth healthy. Hopefully I'll stay outa trouble and have great stories to tell.

If you get bored you can follow my blog at: https://russrueger.weebly.com/blog---2024-road-trip

Cheers! 

Sun block, wet wipes (muti purpose, clean hands from working on bike or personal care :-)  )  Many areas of Canada are very rural. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, mickeym3 said:

You’ll be without cell coverage occasionally….recommend Zoleo 

Thanks mickeym3, haven't heard of Zoleo, will check it out.

Darbarian

For years my wife and I used to trip regularly from Kuna, ID to Darby, MT via Craters of the Moon - a boring route, but the one maping software always presented, and that seemed logical enough. I dramatically improved on it by substituting via Garden Valley and mountain highways for the straight stuff. Another improvement opens up on Mapquest when you use Lolo or Missoula, MT as the destination and Eagle, ID as the origin: via Grangeville and the lovely but regularly speed trapped Highway 12 (Valentine One is my co-pilot). Both routes are very nice, just forego the east to Arco, north to Salmon version. 

https://www.mapquest.com/directions/from/us/idaho/eagle-id-282025431/to/us/montana/lolo-mt-282028218

Have a lovely trip. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Bistro said:

change a clutch cable,

Pre-routing a new one by zip tying into the current one will save you a bunch of time and work on the road........:lurk:

• Like 2
  • Dennis Andress featured this topic

My bike trip through Canada was via paper map with some gas stop preplanning.

Went from Milwaukee, WI, International Falls, east to Québec,  south into New York,  west along seaway Niagara (US Side) back to Milwaukee.

Going east its woods to nothing, to woods and big city.  We had a great trip. 

Dave_in_TX
On 4/18/2024 at 3:23 PM, dirtrider said:

On the air pump, again light weight, small 12v compressor with the housing removed to make much smaller & the hose shorted (to store easier) & the wires lengthened to allow the pump to get out to the wheels  (easire to pack with a short hose but longer smaller wires).

Or if you don't want to hassle with removing the housing from a pump, pumps such as the Motopump from Motopumps, the Motopressor from Rocky Creek Designs, or the Mini Compressor from Desert Fox are already small enough.

• Like 1
Dave_in_TX
6 hours ago, Bistro said:

Thanks mickeym3, haven't heard of Zoleo, will check it out.

A Garmin InReach is an alternative to Zoleo.

• Like 1