IGNORED

Avon Spirit ST...Tired of Tyres Yet :)

Paul De

Paul De

I was in great need of fresh rubber for my beloved '99 R1100RT and had two challenges. First is the odd size rear making choices and availability tough. Second is that the R1100RT will be will be put up for sale sooner or later so I didn't want to spend too much. I found a set of Avon Spirit ST tires at a very attractive price and bought them.  I'll post my impression of the tires on the Oilthead forum once I get them on and a some miles on them.

Anyway on to the point of this post on the Wethead forum.  Has anyone put the Avon Spirit ST tires on a Wethead or Shiftcam?  Particularly interested if anyone has run them on an RT Wethead/Shiftcam. 

The pricing makes the bargain lobe on my brain tingle, but I'm curious if they are a good value for use on a heavier sport touring bike like the RT.   They sure are purty looking but that accounts for squat if they wear out too fast, or worse and falter under the weight of a newer RT.

image.jpeg.e622193a73c83e7e9cf7e0edbd3e8912.jpeg

SDCRJohn

Due to the difficulty in finding 18” size rear tires, I put a set of these on my 2000 R1100 RS. Well, they handle ok, but the front tire essentially wore out in about 3500-4000 miles.  But, I still have the rear with about 5500 miles, and it still has good tread.  Not sure why this happened, and I am pretty good at keeping proper psi, (38 front/ 40 rear).

Had a set on my Multistrada.... no word on mileage but the grip was excellent.

Paul De

Bought the tires way late last night after hours of frustration hunting down that odd duck rear tire size at prices that weren’t criminal.   Might have a clue to the attractive price for the Spirit STs.  Seems Avon was owned by Cooper and then by Goodyear when they bought Cooper.  GY made some noise in 2022 about a new strategy for Avon, which ultimately turned into closing Avon’s last plant in the UK with the last tires shipping out Dec 2023.   Just recently in the last couple months another group bought all Avon’s assets including the tire tech/formulas.   It seems this new owner might only be interested in producing their racing tires…we shall see.  Won’t hold my breath about any warranty being honored.

SDCRJohn

I’m going back to Metzler for the R1100RS. About $200 for the front. Haven’t looked up the rear yet.

Paul De

Good luck on your hunt. Metzler was my in first hunt.  Didn’t find the rear available and need to get my ‘99 gussied up for sale

• 2 weeks later...

I had a set of Avon ST on my 2014 RT. They performed flawlessly wet or dry and I got 8,837 miles out of them. I had just gotten an inspection and they passed but there was some cupping on the front so I changed them at 8,837, buyt I think I could have easlity gotten another 1500-200 miles before they failed inspection.