IGNORED

Five-Time Dakar Malle Moto Racer Stuart Gregory Interview

MotoNews

Published in: Riders

Stuart Gregory Profile Intro

Is it an Addiction?

It’s one of the most grueling off-road races on the planet. Two full weeks of dunes, rocks, mud, and insanely long hours on the motorcycle—all while competing against the best dirt riders in the world. That’s why many call the Dakar Rally the “Mount Everest” of off-road races.

While the challenge of Dakar continues to attract the top big-name teams in the world—like Honda, Husqvarna, KTM, and GasGas—there’s still a core of competitors who take on Dakar with no support at all. It’s one thing to blast a bike for eight hours and chill in the bivouac with a home-cooked meal and a warm trailer to rest in, but those who enter the race in the “Malle Moto” division are basically on their own: no trailers, no trainers, and no mechanics.

With those added challenges, most can see how someone might want to take on the Malle Moto challenge once or maybe twice in a lifetime and then find something easier to enjoy. But South African Stuart Gregory is set to race his fifth Dakar in the Malle Moto division for 2024. It may not be surprising, however, given the 45-year-old’s passion for racing. He’s taken two second places in the Romaniacs Rally, ridden 15 Roof of Africa races, and taken first place in the Sea 2 Sky Turkey race.

Rider Profile Stuart Gregory Malle Moto 1

We caught up with Stuart before some Dakar training in Namibia to get some insight into why he’s going back to Dakar as a Malle Moto competitor.

ADVMoto (AM): What made you want to do Dakar?

Stuart Gregory (SG): It’s the biggest, toughest race in the world—the Everest of racing, if you will. I had to do Malle Moto due to finances. Unfortunately, my engine broke two days from the finish of my first Dakar.

AM: What was the most surprising thing about your first Dakar?

SG: The relentless days and hours day in and day out on the bike. Also, the extreme cold. When you think of a desert, the last thing you think about is the cold. The extreme cold of January in Saudi Arabia was really tough.

AM: Have you ever considered doing Dakar as something other than a Malle Moto competitor?

SG: Yes, I would love to go as part of a team. Every year I say, “Next year I want to go with a team.” But the cost is simply too high, which is what forces me to go Malle Moto. I have started to navigate for Jürgen Schröder (nine-time Dakar competitor) in a car, so there is the potential to possibly go back to Dakar as part of a car team. I feel I have a lot to offer as a navigator.

AM: As a five-time participant, how has your approach or mindset evolved from your first Dakar to the present?

SG: It’s much easier to prepare mentally because you know what you’re getting into. I know what tools to pack, and I use tips and tricks that I learned over the years. So, my approach is much more relaxed than before. But the first two years doing Malle Moto were super tough for me.

AM: Can you share a particularly challenging moment or stage during any of the rallies and how you overcame it?

SG: Definitely last year’s race… I rode three days in the rain and cold and ended up getting sick with some form of COVID. It was really tough riding in the dark on the freeway in Saudi Arabia. I had 80 percent tint goggles on; they drive like 140 km/h on the freeway and 10 meters apart from each other—definitely the most dangerous riding I have ever done on a bike in my life. Then, to top it off, the race organizers had the wrong notes on the roadbook for the bivouac. Everyone was lost for 45 minutes—an extra hour in the rain. That mentally breaks you if you prepare to be at the bivouac, but you can’t get there, and you are sick, freezing, and drenched to the bone.

Rider Profile Stuart Gregory Malle Moto fesh

AM: The Malle Moto category is known for its unique challenges, including riders having to manage their own maintenance. How do you prepare for this self-sufficiency aspect, both mentally and practically?

SG: It’s important to be comfortable where you sleep, and to be efficient—that’s the main thing. Pack your tent quickly and get your riding kit ready the night before. Know your bike and understand how your bike works and how to work on it. Think ahead and plan ahead.

Rider Profile Stuart Gregory Malle Moto ready

AM: What role does mental resilience play in successfully completing the Dakar Rally multiple times, especially in the Malle Moto category?

SG: In South Africa, we have a word “Vasbyt” (slang: to bite the bullet, be stoical, endure). I have a lot of that. You just have to push ahead no matter what. It’s definitely my biggest strength. I’m not the fastest, but I will always just keep going.

AM: Can you share a particularly rewarding or memorable interaction with fans or fellow competitors during the Dakar Rally?

SG: I did my first Dakar the same year as Kyle McCoy did his. He was on a team the first time, while I was Malle Moto. We ended up riding together a lot that first year and created a friendship. Then, this last year, he was in Malle Moto. We ended up riding together most of the time again, which was special. Unfortunately, he broke his ankle, but I built a great relationship with him. The Malle Moto competitors have a special, unique bond where they have each other’s back…. It’s all special and memorable because we are all in it together, like brothers in arms.

AM: In the face of physical and mental exhaustion, what keeps you motivated to push forward and complete each stage?

SG: I also tell myself that I wanted to be there and dreamt of being there for so long. Thinking about all the people that want to be there is also a huge motivation. Living the dream on behalf of all the people that dream about being there pushed me forward. Sometimes you mentally go to really deep, dark places, but then you get to the finish and it’s all worth the while. All the suffering and pain is worth it.

Rider Profile Stuart Gregory Malle Moto podium

AM: What are three tips you could give someone attempting their first Dakar in the Malle Moto division?

SG: Keep it simple, keep your tools simple, and do not take too much stuff. Be efficient with time, and don’t mess around—you need to carefully plan your time. It is possible—that’s the most important thing—it’s possible to finish Dakar as long as you put your mind to it.

Willem Aveant portraitWillem Avenant is a rally rider, roadbook maker, digital roadbook developer, and organizer of roadbook training camps. He likes to share his love, passion, and philosophy on rally racing. He is currently training and fundraising for a run in the 2025 Dakar Rally. WillemAvenantracing.com, Insta @willemavenant, Facebook @wilemavenant282

Read more ...

View the full article