IGNORED

Anatoly Chamyavskiy’s "White Desert" Book Review

MotoNews

Published in: Media

White Desert Book Review Intro

Anatoly Chamyavskiy’s White Desert: Riding Across the Frozen Landscape of Siberia

Anatoly Chamyavskiy is a true adventurer. Born in Tajikistan, he has a passion for motorcycles and going far on them. With travels through South America and Russia’s infamous “Road of Bones” under his wheels, Anatoly set himself to even greater challenges—exploring the far north-eastern reaches of Siberia.

In his first book, Between 2 Oceans, Anatoly attempts to cross the Chukotka Peninsula from the Pacific Ocean to the Arctic Ocean. You may have seen photos and articles from this adventure, showing his approach to the difficulties along the way. For instance, he carried an inflatable boat to enable crossing the region’s many rivers with his bike on board. Previously he’d had to rely on chance encounters with trucks.

White Desert Book Review river

With White Desert he’s back in Siberia but this time in the middle of winter. The tone is set by letting readers know that while his plan and the territory frighten him, he’s absolutely compelled to take it on. Mostly above the Arctic Circle, this is one of the coldest and most remote regions on Earth. The decision to travel in winter, where mammoths, woolly rhinos, and bison once roamed, was logical because during summer there are almost no roads, and the boggy region is saturated with rivers and swamps. In such tundra, towns are cut off and more accessible during the winter. Few live in the region, humans or animals, and other than truckers and scientists, almost no one ventures there. Motorcycles are unheard of.

It’s rare that I have the opportunity to review a hardback motorcycling travel book, and this 10 x 9 x 1-inch work-of-art is a tome. Something I say with appreciation. As soon as I picked it up, it’s quality was apparent. And the first flick through the pages made me want to ignore everything else I had planned for the day and dive in.

The storyline is a mix of the people, the landscapes, the history, the challenges faced and overcome, the kindness of others, and the moments of extreme danger. There’s no drama queen storytelling, just calm and interesting writings with matter-of-fact yet vividly descriptive storytelling—a style I found refreshing.

I also highly enjoyed how he weaves in all he did to set up his Honda 250 Baja and how he kitted himself out to survive the 2,175-mile route in the conditions faced. Anatoly has almost written a "How-To" but without it feeling that way. Amongst the many considerations was how to carry enough fuel to make each section of the ride, but also to keep his bike running all night so the engine wouldn’t freeze. He writes about the challenges of finding fuel in a part of the world where fuel stations are almost as scarce as its original woolly inhabitants. And how he had to work things out so that he’d be able to survive, perhaps for days, without power. His only heated gear was a helmet.

This book is beautifully written. You feel the flashes of joy, of quiet pride of accomplishment, fear, and near despair, as well as the kind of fatalistic but positive thinking that drive the author on. I enjoyed the flashes of humor dotted within his storytelling in such a natural and unforced way. The history and the cultures, plus top tips for travel in this part of the world, seem to spill from just about every page, and you can’t help but dwell on each magnificent picture. Simply put, this book is fascinating!

White Desert CoverThe graphic design is also wonderfully well done. It’s clear and balanced, and the simple maps are helpful. If I have a single criticism, it’s that the text is rather small.

Anatoly is a skilled photographer, and his work will fill you with awe and respect for nature’s power in the harsh beauty of this all but inhabitable Winterland. His photos give you a tangible feel of what survival must be like for those who live amidst these harsh extremes. White Desert filled me with admiration for the people of this region and the author’s incredible journey he shares with us.

Publisher: Self

ISBN: 978-5-600-03226-2

Price: ~$76

Read more ...

View the full article