IGNORED

2024 Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro and Rally Pro Review

MotoNews

Published in: Bikes

The 2024 Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro and Rally Pro

Will Triumph’s apex predator retain dominance in our fast-growing ADV segment? We traveled to Spain to find out.

With such a wide range of engine sizes to shoot for in the ADV market, it seems the bullseye is narrowing in on the 800–900cc segment, and why shouldn’t it? It combines sport touring performance, on-road comfort, and off-road agility.

{youtube}BLcM8OXmG9c{/youtube}

Many manufacturers are aiming for this range; it’s been an exciting season test-riding so many newcomers. Yet, it was a refreshing change of pace to ride a refined version of a familiar face, the Triumph Tiger 900. As new competitors emerge, this apex predator has been sharpening its claws.

Triumph gave the Tiger 900 lineup a thorough reworking for 2024, improving power, comfort, braking performance, and electronics. Triumph also streamlined the Tiger 900 family into three models: the GT, GT Pro, and Rally Pro.

We pounced at the opportunity to join Triumph’s launch in Malaga, Spain, with two days’ seat time aboard the GT Pro and flagship Rally Pro. The Andalucia region of southern Spain was the ideal place to see what these machines were all about.

• What’s New

The most significant upgrade for 2024 is the engine. Displacement remains unchanged at 888cc, but thanks to revised internals, the three-cylinder has a meatier midrange, more top-end, and more usability.

Triumph managed to boost power by 13 percent and increase fuel economy by a claimed 9 percent. Power climbs to 106.5 bhp at the crank, with 66 lb-ft torque at 6,850 rpm. You might think they simply robbed it of low-end power, shifting muscle up higher, but Triumph says the Tiger’s low-end growl is still very much intact.

In the cockpit, you’ll find a new flatter, roomier seat and a dampened handlebar mount that (on the Rally Pro) places the bar 15mm closer to the rider. These are the only chassis change-ups as frame and suspension remain unchanged on all three models: the GT and GT Pro equipped with the Marzocchi fork and shock, and the Rally Pro sporting up-spec Showa suspenders.

A new seven-inch TFT dash is transplanted from the Tiger 1200 line, and the IMU-based electronics suite governs leaning-sensitive ABS and traction control, with linked braking that activates hazard lights when you really slam on the stoppers.

The styling is refreshed, too—fitting that this new Tiger would get some new stripes.

The 2024 Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro and Rally Pro body image 3

Heated seats and grips are standard on Pro models. In the high setting, the grips will almost melt your hands off; they’re designed to be strong enough to warm your paws through thick winter gloves. Together with the heated seat, windblast-blocking bodywork comfort, and an adjustable windscreen, the Spanish winter was nowhere near as biting as I expected during our two days of riding.

• On the Road

The way a Triumph triple builds a head of steam is a thing to behold. The 3-1-2 firing order of the T-plane crank engine pours on the power in a steady, tractable way, packing a potent punch only when you’re good and ready for it.

You won’t find unpredictable arm-yanking power here, but you will find the ground rushing beneath your wheels with exponential acceleration that rises with the dilation of your pupils.

We started out in the Road mode, one of six riding modes on offer from the Rally Pro’s electronics. These bikes come with Road, Rain, Sport, Off-Road, Rider Configurable (Pro models only), and Off-Road Pro.

The 2024 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro body image

Road mode’s exhilaration made me cautious to try Sport mode. I thought it might be too racy for my liking. Although it was more lively and reactive than Road mode, it certainly wasn’t too difficult to hang onto. I was actually expecting a harder punch from all 108 ponies, but again, the way the triple ramps up the power is exceptional—no lack of thrill, simply a finely tuned powerband that never steps out of line.

Within the electronics package alone, there’s plenty to unpack. As with any IMU-equipped motorcycle, the electronics suite enables a world of adjustable features and rider aides from power and traction control to braking and shifting. It knows when you’re cornering, it knows when you’re wheelying, it knows when you’re about to break traction, and in Off-Road mode it knows how much traction to allow to break before cutting in.

Navigating through these modes and learning how to adjust to each one can be overwhelming at first. But this level of technology makes you feel like you’re getting a tailor-made suit, or multiple bikes in one.

At the intro, I stuck to pre-programmed riding modes, with the exception of Rain as we never found ourselves in the wet. Aboard the GT Pro model on the road day, we stuck to Road and Sport. The ability to switch between GT Pro and Rally Pro models was a good contrast that highlighted each bike’s strong points.

Along with the Marzocchi suspension, lower ground clearance, and less suspension travel, the GT Pro runs cast wheels (versus the Rally Pro’s wire-spoke wheels) and a 19-inch front (versus the Rally Pro’s 21-inch). The lighter-feeling front end adds even more sporty handling to the GT Pro when you’re canyon-carving. The GT Pro is also the only model in the Tiger 900 family to feature electronically adjustable suspension.

The 2024 Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro body image

The Rally Pro is the better choice for off-roading, but that doesn’t mean the Tiger GT Pro is incapable off-tarmac. There’s still plenty of capability here, both on and off the tarmac. For the inseam-challenged adventure rider, the GT and GT Pro could be an ideal choice. With adjustable seat height and the accessory low seat, the GT’s saddle can drop as low as a 31.5 inches (800mm)—that’s damned decent for a full-size ADV offering nearly seven inches of suspension travel.

• Getting Dirty

That said, Day Two was the real test we wanted. Our group headed out on Rally Pro models, stock trim aside from Michelin Anakee Wild tires (Bridgestone Battlax are standard equipment). In case you didn’t know, Spain’s Andalucia region is a Mecca for adventure riders. Even better, it had rained two days earlier,  leaving us with primo dirt.

Once you have the Tiger in the dirt, you’ll appreciate the refinement of the powerband even more. Unleashing a three-cylinder 888cc engine in rock-strewn sand, slick hard-pack, or gravel roads can quickly get you into trouble; raw power can be downright dangerous.

This is where I set the Tiger into Off-Road mode and pretty much never looked back. The power delivery is excellent, but I was curious (and skeptical) about the touch of traction control and ABS still active in this mode.

As mentioned earlier, the Rally Pro has the exclusive Off-Road Pro mode, which basically shuts off all rider aids.

The 2024 Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro and Rally Pro body image 4

It seems counterintuitive that the Rally Pro, in Off-Road Pro mode, at its most advanced level, renders the Tiger’s most advanced components, Continental 6-axis IMU and Triumph’s electronics suite, completely useless. But there are clearly enough riders yearning for this full-analog capability, so there you have it.

It was interesting to compare these two modes, with lots of electronics to unpack. I found myself in Off-Road mode most of the time and had to push pretty hard before noticing any cut-in by the traction control or the ABS. I only had a taste of it while cruising down a hard-pack dirt road in about fourth gear.

I overcooked it into a lefthand sweeper and jammed on the brakes, which stood the bike up a little. I’d target-fixated on a fence post, but felt little pulses from the front brake. It was just enough to grip the ground again and let the bike tip into the corner. It all happened so quickly it was barely perceptible… exactly the point.

Traction control was a little more of a thing; I could feel it when I was accelerating out of some switchback turns when the Tiger was clawing its way through some churned-up sandy sections littered with baseball-size rocks. The best way through was to whack the throttle, but I could feel the traction control saying, “Not so fast!”

It wasn’t a dealbreaker, but enough of a fun-buster that I’d prefer to dial down the TC a bit within Off-Road mode, which I’m 90 percent sure you can do… somehow.

The 2024 Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro and Rally Pro body image 2

I tested the Off-Road Pro mode (with all controls and rider aids off), and from the instant I cracked the throttle, the rear tire broke loose, which caught me by surprise (perhaps TC was doing more for me than I thought). Acceleration was more exciting without any intervention, which also highlighted the stability of the chassis. But as we began to descend a mountain ridge on a switchback dirt road, I wanted ABS enabled on this 500-lb. carnivore, so my time with Off-Road Pro mode was short-lived.

• Chassis and Suspension

Suspension and frame are unchanged from the 2023 model year—a good thing in our book. The Rally Pro’s Showa package was nothing short of outstanding in our two days of riding. A supple feel at the top of the stroke keeps things comfortable at cruising speed, even over bumpy terrain, and excellent holdup means minimal pitching forward under hard braking—one of my common complaints about ADV bikes.

I can’t report any instances of bottoming the suspension, and I deliberately tried a couple of times. Although I’d describe our dirt riding as on the lighter side of moderate, I never felt the chassis getting unsettled.

If I had felt the need to dial in suspension settings, it would have been easy enough to do with adjustable preload, compression, and rebound on both the Showa fork and shock. Nothing fancy here; all adjustments on the Rally Pro are made manually, whereas the GT Pro is gifted with electronically adjustable Marzocchi suspension.

My only complaint about handling is the slightly long feeling of the Tiger 900. It feels longer than some of its competitors (at 61.0 inches it’s nearly an inch longer than the KTM/Husky). The seating position might also lend itself to this long-ish feeling. From the cockpit, it still seems like a bit of a reach to the handlebar, and being seated further back in the chassis can make a bike more stable on the highway but not as agile through turns.

On the road, the Tiger feels like it wants to stand up under hard braking and acceleration and needs a more conscious effort to keep it leaning into the curves. It’s worth pointing out that this feeling mostly went away while standing, and I didn’t find anything lacking in the Tiger 900 Rally Pro’s agility in the dirt, where I was standing most of the time.

The 2024 Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro and Rally Pro body image 7

The gearbox and quickshifter (only available on the Pro models) are light, precise, and silky-smooth.

Small touches such as the wider motocross-style footpegs on the Rally Pro are appreciated and lend themselves to a stable riding position.

• More to Love

The Triumph Tiger 900 Pro models spare no creature comfort and bring a premium price tag to boot. But, you’ll be glad to know there are no hidden costs to “unlock" features at the dealership.

Many more small touches make the Tiger easier to live with, like a USB-C charging port, the My Triumph Connectivity System, heated seat and grips (Pro models only). Even the pillion seat has a two-stage heater. The windscreen height, seat height, brake pedal tip, and shock preload can all be adjusted without tools.

• Bottom Line

Triumph improved the Tiger 900s in the right areas while leaving alone what was already working alone. The result: another outstanding premium ADV lineup. But Triumph has its work cut out to remain atop the competitive 800-900cc adventure market. For now, though, the Tiger 900 is still squarely in the fight.

The 2024 Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro and Rally Pro body image 6

TriumphMotorcycles.com

MSRP: The Triumph Tiger 900 line starts at $14,995; the GT, the GT Pro at $16,895; the Rally Pro at $17,395; and the Tiger 850 Sport at $12,290

Tiger 900 GT Pro Specifications:

• Type—liquid-cooled, 12 valve, DOHC, inline 3-cylinder
  • Capacity—888cc
  • Bore—78.0 mm
  • Stroke—61.9 mm
  • Compression—13.0:1
  • Max Power EC—108 PS / 106.5 bhp (79.5 kW) @ 9,500 rpm
  • Max Torque EC—66.4 ft lb @ 6,850 rpm
  • System—multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection with electronic throttle control
  • Exhaust—stainless steel 3 into 1 header system, side mounted stainless steel silencer
  • Final Drive—O-ring Chain
  • Clutch—wet, multi-plate, slip and assist
  • Gearbox—6 speed
  • Front Wheel—cast aluminum, 19 x 2.5 in.
  • Rear Wheel—cast aluminum, 17 x 4.25 in.
  • Front Tire—Metzeler Tourance Next, 100/90-19
  • Rear Tire—Metzeler Tourance Next, 150/70R17
  • Front Suspension—Marzocchi 45mm upside down forks, manual rebound and compression damping adjustment, 180mm travel
  • Rear Suspension—Marzocchi rear suspension unit, electronically adjustable preload and rebound damping, 170mm wheel travel
  • Front Brakes—Twin 320mm floating discs, Brembo Stylema 4 piston Monobloc calipers. Radial front master cylinder, optimized cornering ABS
  • Rear Brakes—single 255mm disc, single piston sliding caliper, optimized cornering ABS
  • Instrument Display and Functions—full-color 7-in. TFT instrument pack with My Triumph Connectivity System
  • Seat Height—adjustable 32.23/33.07 in. (820/840 mm)
  • Wheelbase—61.26 in. (1556 mm)
  • Rake—24.6º
  • Trail—4.04 in. (102.7 mm)
  • Tank Capacity—5.28 U.S. gal (20 liters)
  • Wet Weight—483 lb. (219 kg)

Tiger 900 GT Rally Pro Specifications:

• Type—liquid-cooled, 12 valve, DOHC, inline 3-cylinder
  • Capacity—888 cc
  • Bore—78.0 mm
  • Stroke—61.9 mm
  • Compression—13.0:1
  • Max Power EC—108 PS/106.5 bhp (79.5 kW) @ 9,500 rpm
  • Max Torque EC—66.4 ft lb @ 6,850 rpm
  • System—multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection with electronic throttle control
  • Exhaust—stainless steel 3-into-1 header system, side-mounted stainless steel silencer
  • Final Drive—O-ring chain
  • Clutch—wet, multi-plate, slip and assist
  • Gearbox—6 speed
  • Front Wheel—spoked tubeless, 21 x 2.15 in.
  • Rear Wheel—Spoked tubeless, 17 x 4.25 in.
  • Front Tire—Bridgestone Battlax Adventure 90/90-21
  • Rear Tire—Bridgestone Battlax Adventure 150/70-R17
  • Front Suspension—Showa 45mm upside down forks, manual preload, rebound and compression damping adjustment, 240mm travel
  • Rear Suspension—Showa rear suspension unit, manually adjustable preload and rebound damping, 230mm wheel travel
  • Front Brakes—Twin 320mm floating discs, Brembo Stylema 4 piston monobloc calipers. Radial front master cylinder, optimized cornering ABS
  • Rear Brakes—single 255mm disc., single piston sliding caliper, optimized cornering ABS
  • Instrument Display and Functions—Full-color 7-in. TFT instrument pack with My Triumph Connectivity System
  • Seat Height—adjustable 33.86/34.65 in. (860/880 mm)
  • Wheelbase—61.06 in. (1551 mm)
  • Rake—24.4º
  • Trail—4.59 in. (116.8 mm)
  • Tank Capacity—5.28 U.S. gal (20 liters)
  • Wet Weight—503 lb. (228 kg)

Jean Turner portraitJean Turner is a freelance journalist/photographer in the powersports industry. She has been riding and racing motocross and enduro for over 18 years, during which she has worked for a number of publications such as Cycle News, Dirt Rider magazine, Dirt Bike magazine, Racer X, Motocross Action Magazine, and international publications in Europe, Japan, and Australia. Turner grew up riding in the Southern California desert with her family and now travels the world as a media correspondent, covering and shooting motorcycle races, manufacturer intros, and off-road/adventure tours. Follow her travels and stories on Instagram @kalamity_jean.

Read more ...

View the full article