IGNORED

KLIM 2023 Artemis Women’s Adventure Jacket and Pants Review

MotoNews

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

KLIM 2023 Artemis Review Intro

Luck favors the prepared. If you have a toolbox, you won’t need it; if you’re dressed for the crash, you won’t crash, etc. This is the mentality I abide by, if for no other reason than it helps silence the “what ifs” in my mind. And there were plenty of “what-ifs” whizzing through my brain as I boarded the flight to South Africa for the Husqvarna Norden 901 Expedition launch. When you’re heading for the unknown, you should be prepared for everything. In this case, what silenced the what-ifs was the brand new KLIM Artemis women’s adventure riding suit in my gear bag.

KLIM Artemis2023 Review 3

Knowing I wanted to have the best possible protection and performance for this trip of a lifetime, it was a no-brainer to reach out to KLIM—arguably the leaders in premium ADV gear. Their suggestion was their Artemis jacket and pants. Available as of spring 2023, the Artemis line has been redesigned with improvements across the board for mobility, venting, storage, and of course, protection. This is as good as it gets for lady adventure riders, which means a premium price tag.

Artemis gear is thoughtfully form-fitted to a woman’s body. It’s also highly adjustable. This adjustability also comes in handy for base layering because along with versatility within the fit, the KLIM Artemis also seeks to span a broad range of temperatures.

When I pulled the medium jacket out of the packaging, it looked like it might be too small for me. But once I slipped into it, I was pleasantly surprised. It was form-fitting enough to allow for nice mobility, and not too big that it was baggy or bunching anywhere. I thought the shoulder width could have been a little more generous, but I remedied that minor critique by replacing the shoulder inserts with the lower-profile D3O Ghost armor from my KLIM Marrakesh jacket.

I went with a size 8 regular pant (and ladies, I’m pleased to inform you that KLIM also offers their pant sizes in Tall from sizes 6–12. Tall girls, rejoice!) and unlike the Medium jacket that was a touch on the snug side, I was pleased to find the pants were a comfortable, relaxed fit. I would describe them as a mid-rise waist that sat at my hip exactly where I like them.

It might take a few minutes to acquaint yourself with all the zippers, vents, pockets, adjusters, and cinches. All that comes with some complexity, but KLIM manages to accomplish this in these light-fitting, streamlined garments. Pockets are a good size, a relief because a lot of women’s gear comes with dainty pockets that can’t even fit an iPhone! Onboard storage space is generous, but I’m not big on filling up my pockets, so I’ll skip right to the venting and tell you the good news there.

KLIM Artemis2023 Review 2

In South Africa we rode in temps nearing 90°F, and while standing around, I started sweating in a hurry. My day got better as I found more vents: in front of the thigh, behind the thigh (magic when you’re standing up on a breezy road!), down the chest, under the boobs (also magic!) front of the arm, back of the shoulders, all strategically placed to keep the air flowing as you move. I appreciated the nice touch of the clasps that can pin the collar open, as well. This is the first women’s ADV jacket I’ve owned that has this feature. As temps rose and I discovered more zippers, I found myself running nice and cool as long as we were moving.

Mesh material is also a great option for venting your body, but the great thing about having all these vents under zippers is that you can lock it all out whenever you need to.

Simply shut the windows and lock the doors to keep out dust, cold, rain, and open them all back up again when needed. This is important for use in the real world, if you’re doing more than just a quick pleasure ride close to home.

The pants certainly did their part in the venting, and I can also add that my favorite thing about them is the adjustability in the leg cuffs. Whether I want to wear full-size moto boots, adventure boots, or motorcycle shoes, the kit accommodates. I can snap the cuffs at three different widths, and the calf area is also generous enough that the pants aren’t stretched around the buckles. I hate it when my pants ride up, and these do not. The cinch below the knee can also help secure the fit at the top of the boot, below knee guards. With the built-in armor secured in place, I didn’t need to wear additional motocross-style guards underneath, which is always a nice feeling. Freer movement, greater comfort, and easier to gear up. Just slide ’em on and go!

With all the impact and abrasion protection you could want for both off-road and tarmac conditions, as well as great fit, mobility, and venting, the KLIM Artemis setup checks all the boxes and is what I would classify as an exceptional product worth every penny.

It’s wonderful to see the level that women’s gear has risen to, and I tip my visor to KLIM for forging ahead in the premium sector. That said, this review is not without a few critiques. The first would be the material used on the rear of the collar. Yes, it’s comfortable, but whatever this is (comes on so many garments) it mercilessly tangles my hair. We’re talking one matted dreadlock by the end of a half-day ride. I don’t know what the better solution is here, but I hope the textile industry will someday find a solution here for us ladies.

One other design element I would opt to change is the waist cinch. The way it wraps all the way around the jacket, 360 degrees, anchored at either side of the zipper, seems excessive. And the buckles at the waist add bulk to the tummy area, which kind of puffed out on me. The waist cinch is definitely an important element for adjustability, but I think those could be anchored away from the center line so the jacket could have a flatter fit down the front line.

These are minor snivels, I’ll admit. Since it’s not a catwalk, it’s an adventure ride, that may or may not matter at all. But they’re literally the only critique I have after living in this outstanding kit for two days in South Africa and several rides back home in the States. I am thrilled to now have this “lit kit” in my arsenal, and it will be my go-to for any time the pavement meets the dirt. The Artemis is ready for all of it, at any temperature.

KLIM Artemis2023 Review 1

KLIM.com

MSRP: Jacket—$769.99 | Pants—$599.99

PROS:

• Fit, quality, protection, and comfort
  • Adjustability allows for a tailored fit with and without base layers
  • Venting—so much venting!
  • Premium materials are waterproof and windproof and can seal out the elements when needed
  • Color and sizing options

CONS:

• Hair tangles from the rear collar material
  • Jacket a little bulky at the tummy where the waist cinch anchors

Read more ...

View the full article