IGNORED

O-ring Lube

MarkAZ

I'm re-assembling my fuel tank after replacing the pump, filter, etc. I'm also planning to replace the o-rings on the fuel line disconnects and the o-rings in the injector. Should they various o-ring be lubricated before install? If so, what with?

And while I'm at it...what about the various o-rings on the tank itself...the fuel pump plate, fuel gauge plate, filler flange? Should I use some gasket sealer, like Permatex?

Thanks...

RadioFlyer

I use dielectric grease which is safe for rubber. I use it sparingly.

dirtrider
1 hour ago, MarkAZ said:

I'm re-assembling my fuel tank after replacing the pump, filter, etc. I'm also planning to replace the o-rings on the fuel line disconnects and the o-rings in the injector. Should they various o-ring be lubricated before install? If so, what with?

And while I'm at it...what about the various o-rings on the tank itself...the fuel pump plate, fuel gauge plate, filler flange? Should I use some gasket sealer, like Permatex?

Thanks...

Afternoon Mark

It is a good idea to lubricate the "O" rings for smoother nick-free assembly. Just be careful in what lubrication you use. A lot of newer lubricants use silicone & that is not to be used in the fuel system as it can effect your o2 sensors. Personally I use a special "O" ring assembly lubricant (no name as is sold in bulk for commercial usage). You can use something like Vaseline.

On quick disconnects, be sure to hold the trigger in during disassembly & reassembly or you risk the extended trigger nicking the "O" ring.   

No need for gasket sealer. 

Lowndes

If you really want to replace the O-rings on the fuel injectors, best use fuel injector O-rings, not some hardware store o-rings.  Better yet, replace the older one-hole OEM injectors with newer matched set of EV14 four hole injectors.  Be sure to clean the tiny screen filter on the inlet end of the injector if you reuse the old ones.  This place is in New Jersey and has everything injectors:  https://injector-rehab.com/   

Those new injector O-rings can be a huge struggle getting them to seat;  they are very "firm" (bowling ball hard), you will think they are six sizes too big (they aren't), and you will have to apply some very firm language.  Liberally.  AMHIK.

If you have not replaced the OEM plastic quick disconnect on the fuel lines you might consider the metal units from Beemer Boneyard.  The plastic has a tendency to break.

Specifically for the R1150RT:

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html

$116 is better than a BMW flambé.  But, they come with a spare set of O-rings.  And REMEMBER what Dirtrider said about "hold the trigger" or you might need that spare set sooner than you planned.  But keep them in the tool kit, JIC.  Also, install these connectors in opposite directions so no one can get the lines mixed up.  Keep the plastic set for draining the tank (they fit in the metal connectors on my bikes).

image.png.53fae885b2a20d7b84ce0919600f84bb.png

• Like 1
Redfoxx
1 hour ago, Lowndes said:

If you really want to replace the O-rings on the fuel injectors, best use fuel injector O-rings, not some hardware store o-rings.  Better yet, replace the older one-hole OEM injectors with newer matched set of EV14 four hole injectors.  Be sure to clean the tiny screen filter on the inlet end of the injector if you reuse the old ones.  This place is in New Jersey and has everything injectors:  https://injector-rehab.com/   

Those new injector O-rings can be a huge struggle getting them to seat;  they are very "firm" (bowling ball hard), you will think they are six sizes too big (they aren't), and you will have to apply some very firm language.  Liberally.  AMHIK.

If you have not replaced the OEM plastic quick disconnect on the fuel lines you might consider the metal units from Beemer Boneyard.  The plastic has a tendency to break.

Specifically for the R1150RT:

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html

$116 is better than a BMW flambé.  But, they come with a spare set of O-rings.  And REMEMBER what Dirtrider said about "hold the trigger" or you might need that spare set sooner than you planned.  But keep them in the tool kit, JIC.  Also, install these connectors in opposite directions so no one can get the lines mixed up.  Keep the plastic set for draining the tank (they fit in the metal connectors on my bikes).

image.png.53fae885b2a20d7b84ce0919600f84bb.png

I bought injector screens/filters from injector rehab and new metal couplers, both places where easy and quick to order from. 

RF