IGNORED

Garage Remodel

brianh70

I have this wonderful 3 car garage (with some sort of living quarters attached - some bedrooms, bathrooms, a kitchen, etc.) that I'm finally taking steps toward finishing.  I started with the floor and a couple of overhead storage shelves.  It's a flaked polyaspartic finish.  I looked up DIY methods, but ultimately decided to let the pros handle it. Prep is everything, and they came in with diamond floor scrapers to shave off a thin layer of concrete and they filled in the control joints.  It looks fantastic!  Way better than anything I could do.

Next up, I'm going to put in a set of New Age Products garage cabinets.  But for now, here are some before and after pictures of the progress so far.

image.thumb.jpeg.746aa6798b4a7ece868ef26da153cc44.jpeg

IMG_3955.thumb.jpg.7c70b5f7db04de2e6176a83ece8f70ba.jpg

• Like 10
brianh70
1 hour ago, BamaJohn said:

Wow!  Good job....and a great space!

Thank you.  It is a great space.  In fact, my better half looked around and said "You know, even if you park your trucks in here, there's still room for 2 or 3 more bikes."  I don't know what I did to deserve having her in my life.  :dance:

• Like 2
  • Smile 2
Hosstage

I like it. I'm always very jealous of those with real garage space. My 1 1/2 car garage gets a little tight. There are two full size Harleys wedged in there.

Your wife is a keeper for sure!

IMG_20220214_151252037_HDR.thumb.jpg.1a5791289c365f7a81a09fca7c88e0ed.jpg

• Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

There are two full size Harleys wedged in there.

I did not know Harley made snowblowers..........:yes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
Hosstage
1 minute ago, 9Mary7 said:

I did not know Harley made snowblowers..........:yes:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did! They made snowmobiles and golf carts, even boats!

1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

snowmobiles and golf carts, even boats!

I've not seen their boat, but I have seen the other two vehicles.

Rougarou
17 hours ago, brianh70 said:

I have this wonderful 3 car garage (with some sort of living quarters attached - some bedrooms, bathrooms, a kitchen, etc.) that I'm finally taking steps toward finishing.  I started with the floor and a couple of overhead storage shelves.  It's a flaked polyaspartic finish.  I looked up DIY methods, but ultimately decided to let the pros handle it. Prep is everything, and they came in with diamond floor scrapers to shave off a thin layer of concrete and they filled in the control joints.  It looks fantastic!  Way better than anything I could do.

Next up, I'm going to put in a set of New Age Products garage cabinets.  But for now, here are some before and after pictures of the progress so far.

image.thumb.jpeg.746aa6798b4a7ece868ef26da153cc44.jpeg

I'll be over shortly to fawk it all up:wave:

13 hours ago, Hosstage said:

I like it. I'm always very jealous of those with real garage space. My 1 1/2 car garage gets a little tight. There are two full size Harleys wedged in there.

'bout every month or so, when weather is too yuck to work outside, my garage get's "organized".  Stuff gets taken off of horizontal surfaces and put where they "should" go......and that day, Rougarou said, "so it shall be",........until the next day;)

• Smile 3
  • Haha 1
brianh70
13 hours ago, Hosstage said:

This is actually far more organized than my garage was when I got started.  I should’ve taken a before-before picture; stuff all over the floor, no shelves, totally disorganized.  

I’m using my trucks’ camper shells as mobile storage sheds until I get my cabinets.  I had my roller toolbox in the living room because it was too heavy for us to lift into one of the trucks.  I still have to move the generator and lawnmower off the back porch.

I’m going to order my cabinets when I get back from START.  If I order them now, they’ll show up in my driveway before I get back.

One thing I’ve noticed about this floor covering, and the installer warned me this would happen; motorcycle tires leave streaks on it.  Not black marks - just dull streaks.  Funny how the sales guy didn’t mention that. :5146: I’m not too worried about it.  I’ll take dull streaks over oil stains.  

Joe Frickin' Friday
On 4/15/2024 at 1:30 PM, brianh70 said:

The floor looks great, nicely done!  Free advice for your next upgrade: get some big motion-activated lights in there.  I've always hated dimly-lit garages, so in my two-car garage, I have four 55-watt LED lamps, and they're controlled by occupancy sensors at the far left and right sides of the garage (so the sensors will spot you no matter where you are).  Not only do the lights come on when you walk into the garage, they also come on when the garage door goes up and you drive in; I don't even have any bulbs in the garage door opener anymore.  

image.thumb.jpeg.6508af0fb31849dacf8b087e4368ebbe.jpeg

• Like 3
Rougarou

Yep, I've got one of these in the ceiling

Leviton Ceiling Mount Motion Light Sensor - Amazon Com Leviton 6778 ...

Lights pop on for movement and I have the timer set at 15 minutes.  But, if you have a fan or air conditioner, the movement of the air will set motion sensors off, so ensure you direct your air flow away, otherwise, lights be popping on and off an the reglur

hunter41
On 4/16/2024 at 5:06 AM, brianh70 said:

One thing I’ve noticed about this floor covering, and the installer warned me this would happen; motorcycle tires leave streaks on it.  Not black marks - just dull streaks.  Funny how the sales guy didn’t mention that. :5146: I’m not too worried about it.  I’ll take dull streaks over oil stains.  

Nice to be setting up a garage!  I have a similar garage floor with the same color speckles.  Could be a completely different product, but I dont notice any streaks from my tires.  I dont notice small fasteners I drop either :classic_wacko:...not a big issue but sometimes adds time to a project when looking for the little buggers.  Another reason for making it well lit.

brianh70
2 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

The floor looks great, nicely done!  Free advice for your next upgrade: get some big motion-activated lights in there.  I've always hated dimly-lit garages, so in my two-car garage, I have four 55-watt LED lamps, and they're controlled by occupancy sensors at the far left and right sides of the garage (so the sensors will spot you no matter where you are).  Not only do the lights come on when you walk into the garage, they also come on when the garage door goes up and you drive in; I don't even have any bulbs in the garage door opener anymore.  

I agree - those little button lights have got to go.  I'm don't know that I'll go the motion activated route, but they're definitely going to be replaced with some 4' strips.

Rougarou

Upstairs garage has four four footers with two natural light windows......it's bright enough.  Basement garage has no windows and I've got eight four footers for the 500ish sqft with daylight bright lumens,....still feels dark even with bright white walls........I gotta get to painting that overhead some day.

• Smile 1
8 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Basement garage has no windows

Bet it’s cool in the summer months… :4315:

Rougarou
10 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Bet it’s cool in the summer months… :4315:

You can feel the coolness in August, but you also feel the humidity.

I've been throwing around getting a dual minisplit for the basement area.  12k side for the area that is finished and a 9k for the garage area.

It's on the list.  I did free up some floor space late last year by dumping the water heater and putting a tankless in.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
20 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Upstairs garage has four four footers with two natural light windows......it's bright enough.  Basement garage has no windows and I've got eight four footers for the 500ish sqft with daylight bright lumens,....still feels dark even with bright white walls........I gotta get to painting that overhead some day.

Surprising how much difference white walls and a white ceiling make.  Although even with my garage, using six 4-foot fixtures instead of four fixtures would still not have been too bright.

Rougarou
14 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Surprising how much difference white walls and a white ceiling make.  Although even with my garage, using six 4-foot fixtures instead of four fixtures would still not have been too bright.

Ya, the overhead in my basement is a typical house infrastructure run.  I keep telling the wife that I'ma paint it like they do Navy ships,.....everything gets a white coat of paint in the overhead,......everything.   I think overall, because the overhead is still wood/insulation(not really needed)/wiring/piping colors that it sucks all the lighting in and makes one feel it is dark.  I do intend to yank the insulation out as the garage is "semi" climate controlled which will make spraying the overhead easier,.....although, I've read people spraying the insulation too.