IGNORED

BMW Driveshafts

RPG

Sorry for the ignorant question if it's been answered.

I keep throwing around the idea of a new '24 RT to replace my solid '04 RT. Recent retirement has me thinking it sure would be nice to reward myself. :)

So my question is the BMW driveshaft service bulletin. And I profess to being not up to speed on the fine details.

1. If I buy a used LC RT ('2014-2023), does BMW replace the driveshaft free of charge every 36k, or if deemed necessary via inspection?
  2. Is the replacement driveshaft the same design as the old one? (I'm assuming that a design issue was corrected?)
  3. Is the maintenance just greasing the fore and aft splines and checking the u-joints?
  4. Does the '24 RT use the same driveshaft as the older models and is it also covered under the 36k inspection and replacement?

Thanks, just trying to justify a new purchase compared to perfectly sorted out old, reliable RT with it's stock driveshaft that I fitted with zirk fittings. :)

RPG

BABABeemer

I have a 03 RT and decded to “upgrade” to a 14 RT-P. The RT-P was missing the driveshaft because it had locked up on the officer and the department decided to just auction it off instead of repairing it. I installed a used eBay shaft because the dealer wouldn’t honor the recall since the driveshaft was missing. It’s a very comfortable riding bike now but I’m glad I kept the 03 RT also because it is more of a pleasure to work on than the newer bike.

I  can tell you the answer to #4 is NO, since BMW added that extra service in the manual, so it must be paid by owners starting with '24 models. But '23 and prior models (not sure how far back it goes) are covered by the free driveshaft replacement for life, even for subsequent owners, which is nice. Need to look for that TSB to store it, since my 2020 is covered, to give it to future owner. Finally, I assume it's the same shaft, or it wouldn't be necessary to replace it if it was improved. There are many folks with excess of 100K miles and zero shaft issues, so it might be a bit of overkill to change it on bikes like my R, which will never see off-road or 2-up, no rain so far, and lives in a dry climate garage (no rust). But it's nice that it can be replaced for free, if desired.

• Like 1
dirtrider
6 hours ago, RPG said:

Sorry for the ignorant question if it's been answered.

I keep throwing around the idea of a new '24 RT to replace my solid '04 RT. Recent retirement has me thinking it sure would be nice to reward myself. :)

So my question is the BMW driveshaft service bulletin. And I profess to being not up to speed on the fine details.

1. If I buy a used LC RT ('2014-2023), does BMW replace the driveshaft free of charge every 36k, or if deemed necessary via inspection?
  2. Is the replacement driveshaft the same design as the old one? (I'm assuming that a design issue was corrected?)
  3. Is the maintenance just greasing the fore and aft splines and checking the u-joints?
  4. Does the '24 RT use the same driveshaft as the older models and is it also covered under the 36k inspection and replacement?

Thanks, just trying to justify a new purchase compared to perfectly sorted out old, reliable RT with it's stock driveshaft that I fitted with zirk fittings. :)

RPG

Evening Rick

If I buy a used LC RT ('2014-2023), does BMW replace the driveshaft free of charge every 36k, or if deemed necessary via inspection?--- Free every 36K for original owners as well as future owners. Last I heard the owner pays for any inspections after the original inspection but the inspection isn't mandatory to receive the new free 36K driveshafts.   

Is the replacement driveshaft the same design as the old one? (I'm assuming that a design issue was corrected?)--- Same basic design but different part number & a much cheaper price. It might be changed (improved) or just a part number/price change due to the extended warranty & possibly vendor eating some of the cost. 

Is the maintenance just greasing the fore and aft splines and checking the u-joints?--- Probably but I don't know the full details of the maintenance, the check is done externally using calibrated equipment to measure lash. 

Does the '24 RT use the same driveshaft as the older models and is it also covered under the 36k inspection and replacement?:---- It uses the new part number but as mentioned above I have no idea on what (if any) changes were made to the shaft itself. It could be the same darn shaft with just a part number change to track the origin or replacement status.  Try calling Mike at BMWSEM, he might be able to give you the current info on this.

Or just wait for the 1300RT as the 1300GS uses a longer swing arm, lower transmission (under engine)  & larger U joints, & different shaft angles. Lower weight also. Probably a good chance the 1300RT will follow. Just don't buy the first model year as you how BMW has done in that area in the past! Let the first year Beta Testers find the faults so BMW can first deny them then eventually fix them.  

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Evening Rick

If I buy a used LC RT ('2014-2023), does BMW replace the driveshaft free of charge every 36k, or if deemed necessary via inspection?--- Free every 36K for original owners as well as future owners. Last I heard the owner pays for any inspections after the original inspection but the inspection isn't mandatory to receive the new free 36K driveshafts.   

Is the replacement driveshaft the same design as the old one? (I'm assuming that a design issue was corrected?)--- Same basic design but different part number & a much cheaper price. It might be changed (improved) or just a part number/price change due to the extended warranty & possibly vendor eating some of the cost. 

Is the maintenance just greasing the fore and aft splines and checking the u-joints?--- Probably but I don't know the full details of the maintenance, the check is done externally using calibrated equipment to measure lash. 

Does the '24 RT use the same driveshaft as the older models and is it also covered under the 36k inspection and replacement?:---- It uses the new part number but as mentioned above I have no idea on what (if any) changes were made to the shaft itself. It could be the same darn shaft with just a part number change to track the origin or replacement status.  Try calling Mike at BMWSEM, he might be able to give you the current info on this.

Or just wait for the 1300RT as the 1300GS uses a longer swing arm, lower transmission (under engine)  & larger U joints, & different shaft angles. Lower weight also. Probably a good chance the 1300RT will follow. Just don't buy the first model year as you how BMW has done in that area in the past! Let the first year Beta Testers find the faults so BMW can first deny them then eventually fix them.  

Thanks D.R., I finished reading your reply with a chuckle. :)

My reticent dealer (who a couple of months ago knew 'nuttink!' about driveshaft replacement on my '17,) now says that since I do my own service, he won't lube the splines between now (18,000 miles,) and 36,000 miles.

BUT(!!) if something back there breaks in the meantime, I'm covered. (lol)

:18:

I would assume the next owner is 'similarly' covered.

I'm not worried about how long my driveshaft lasts anyway, (until something happens which is probably never.)

Scotto336

Regarding number 3, yes but I also advise installing the duckbill valve for those that don't have one already.  The 24 will already have one or at least it should. Dealer will do it for free on GS and RTP models but not the others which I personally think is lame.  I pulled the shaft and lubed the splines myself on my 2016 R and added the valve while I was there.  On my 2019 RT the dealer did the inspection and lubed the splines at 13K miles for free but I had to pay 1/2hr labor to have them add the valve.  Doing the valve with the shaft out enables you to retrieve any chips that may have escaped your greased drill bit.  Probably not needed but I can be OCD about such things. 

• Like 1
marcopolo

The applicable Service Information Bullet is available on this site. Just go to Browse/Downloads, and look in the Miscellaneous category. I think it’s pretty clear that, for 2023 and older K5X models, both the driveshaft replacement(s), as well as the periodic (every 12K) testing and greasing of splines, is covered by warranty. 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, marcopolo said:

The applicable Service Information Bullet is available on this site. Just go to Browse/Downloads, and look in the Miscellaneous category. I think it’s pretty clear that, for 2023 and older K5X models, both the driveshaft replacement(s), as well as the periodic (every 12K) testing and greasing of splines, is covered by warranty. 

THAT is EXACTLY what my dealer told me when they replaced the drive shaft on my 2016RT last week. 

• Like 1