IGNORED

2009 R1200RT Fuel level Display

The Rocketman

The Rocketman

Just as I left for a ride this morning, the LCD dash started flashing a gas pump icon above the fuel level display, the fuel level display was blank even though the tank was full,  the yellow triangle was lit solid, and the "miles to empty" said "- - -" rather than the actual mileage left (until I hit the BC button, which just cleared that to blank). Still rode 280 miles today with no performance issues, but the dash status above stayed that way all day, even after subsequent fill-ups. 

Don't think the FPC is at fault as I already replaced that with the newer version just in case, and the bike runs fine.

Suspect its the fuel strip, but not sure what the symptoms are.

Also I had all the recalls done but don't think I ever had the fuel strip replaced as it worked fine since I bought the bike in 2015.

So, do my symptoms lead toward the fuel strip?

Will the 12 year rule apply from the dealer?

I have a GS-911 that I've only used to reset the service warning.

Where and what do I look for using the GS-911 with respect to my issue?

Only new work done on the bike before this issue was an oil change and brake fluid flush.

Thanks all!

rt dash.jpg

The Rocketman

And as a follow-up, does the BBQ/Piezo lighter zapping thing really work, and if so, short or long-term?

81delorean

Welcome to the club! Looks like my fuel strip went out on my '05 to. The lighter thing is worth a shot, if the fuel strip is dead you don't have much to lose. I bought one of those 6" long lighters for $1 and tried zapping mine, didn't help me out but worth a shot. Everything I've read on it is mixed results. Can it work? yes. Does it work every time? no. Will it last forever? probably not. How long will it last if it does work? Could be a week, could be a year. Still cheaper than a new fuel strip that may not last a month, a year, who knows how long. 

TassieRT1200

I tried the zap - didn't work

I paid $295 australian for a 'new improved' fuel strip. It had a different part number. I calibrated it using the motoscan app. Works great and when it shows '---' I am on reserve with 4 litres left in the tank.

Had it now for 12 months so far no issues at all.

I use the trip meter (old habits die hard) but I also wanted the fuel gauge to work without the annoying yellow triangle.

• Like 1
dirtrider
12 hours ago, The Rocketman said:

Don't think the FPC is at fault as I already replaced that with the newer version just in case, and the bike runs fine.

Also I had all the recalls done but don't think I ever had the fuel strip replaced as it worked fine since I bought the bike in 2015.

So, do my symptoms lead toward the fuel strip?

Will the 12 year rule apply from the dealer?

Where and what do I look for using the GS-911 with respect to my issue?

Only new work done on the bike before this issue was an oil change and brake fluid flush.

Thanks all!

Morning Rocketman

Also I had all the recalls done but don't think I ever had the fuel strip replaced as it worked fine since I bought the bike in 2015.___  The FPC has nothing to do with your issue it is a failed fuel strip.

So, do my symptoms lead toward the fuel strip?___  Yes, that is the usual problem.

Will the 12 year rule apply from the dealer?___  Probably not as that is 12 years from when the motorcycle was first put into service. 

Where and what do I look for using the GS-911 with respect to my issue?___  The GS-911 won't show you much on this as it doesn't know you have an incorrectly reading fuel strip. You can use the GS-911 to calibrate a new strip though. 

dirtrider
11 hours ago, The Rocketman said:

And as a follow-up, does the BBQ/Piezo lighter zapping thing really work, and if so, short or long-term?

Morning Rocketman

You need to define WORK?

In a lot of cases it will return the fuel gauge to working but from what I have seen over the years the working doesn't usually last. It will probably fail again & they don't always fail showing empty or low fuel. 

If you zap it, then it fails again showing full or partially full, you can run out of fuel on the road unless you also use a backup like one of your trip meters.   

You can buy a fuel strip from a place like Euromotoelectric then use your GS-911 to calibrate it. 

The Rocketman

Heading to Max BMW tomorrow for replacement. Free warranty is only 12 years from original bike registration date.

The sensor on my 2007 failed. After faffing around with a DIY solution for a couple of years I bought this and it worked. I did that as a precondition to selling the bike, but it went to a friend who will let me know if it fails again. 😆

https://www.fuelsensortech.com/en

The instructions are bare; this video does a good overview. 

The Rocketman

So I got the fuel level sensor replaced today and I guess it's a good thing it failed.

Technician noticed a burnt/melted wire going to the fuel pump. Can't say how or when it happened, but I'm thinking I'm glad it was found now, before our next trip or before it incinerated me. It was replaced as well. All is good and right in the world again.

• Like 3