IGNORED

Seeking the BEST motorcycle headset in terms of voice clarity for use by 2 guys on 2 bikes

lukaspriest

lukaspriest

My best mate is finally getting a bike, and we are realizing our dream of being about to go touring together.  We'll both be on sport touring bikes and wearing full face modular helmets, and I want to get a couple of bluetooth headsets so that we can talk/converse while we're riding.  Above all else, I want for us to be able to communicate easily and clearly.  I am utterly overwhelmed by the sheer volume of different motorcycle bluetooth headset units, and it sounds like some of them have noise cancellation or voice clarification features.  The big "two" seem to be Cardo and Sena, but even then, there are so many models that I don't even know where to begin.

Can someone here point me in the direction of a few models to look at, or better yet, tell me which ones you swear by for communicating with other riders?

Rinkydink

I have the Sena 50s and it has served me well. Auto updates the firmware via wi-fi while charging and mine has been rock solid. 

• Like 2
wbw6cos

Cardo Packtalk Black for me.   Battery lasts a good 8 hours plus. 

I do know Cardo offers a 2-pack for sale.   LINKY.   No info on this particular model, though.  Reasonably priced for your needs.

• Like 3
marcopolo

The old adage is to buy the one (SENA or Cardo) that your riding buddies have.  Looks like you've got that covered.  Personally, whether Sena or Cardo, I'd get a model that has Mesh intercom.  So much more seamless to connect with your friend than just straight Bluetooth.  The only downside to mesh is that it takes more juice out of the battery.  Most of the friends I ride with have the SENA 50S, and we all use the mesh intercom feature.  We all carry small battery packs (plus a SENA charging cable) to recharge at a lunch stop, or run it on that battery pack, while we ride.  Alternatively, we can plug them into a USB port on the bike (assuming it's so equipped).  The same applies to Cardo in mesh mode, though I have no personal experience with Cardo.

Some may suggest getting the simplest device you can find, but you may discover, after some use, that you'd wish you'd gotten something a little more "full featured".  That's hard to say.

• Like 2
greiffster

For 2 riders only, my vote is Sena 50s bluetooth.  Nicol and I rode for 30 days to Alaska and it was perfect.  Sena bluetooth gets wonky when you add more folks.  Switch to mesh. 

• Like 3
Lowndes

I've had several models of each Sena and Cardo.  Sena has improved, but so has Cardo.  Most of the "improvements" now are in the max group size it seems and you don't really care about that.  6-8 is my max group size anyway.  You WILL also need to get both units of the same brand.  Sena and Cardo do not talk to each other except for Bluetooth and cell phone.  Maybe.  Our group at SRART/FART was all Sena when I started then swapped over to Cardo.  I have other friends with Sena 50S's  so I have one each mounted on the helmet.

You WILL need the "mesh" comm system and both Sena and Cardo have models with DMC, "mesh" or "dynamic mesh".  The distance or range of mesh is so much greater than just Bluetooth comms.  

I'd say a Sena 50 S (or R), or the Cardo Packtalk Black or Bold (if you can find a pair - I think they have been discontinued for the new Edge type).  https://www.ebay.com/itm/226080511132?itmmeta=01HVA7KR4G5J63BZKAHZGT8CSD&hash=item34a372d49c:g:GtQAAOSwZz1mEibn  $550 for a pair.

You could try lesser models but you would eventually (maybe quickly) move up to the 50 or the Bold type system.  There is a learning curve with either and it will take a while to get familiar with either and get the kinks out.  Once they are connected and working it just charging and turning on.  

Tell us what you decide to do.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, marcopolo said:

The old adage is to buy the one (SENA or Cardo) that your riding buddies have.  Looks like you've got that covered.  Personally, whether Sena or Cardo, I'd get a model that has Mesh intercom.  So much more seamless to connect with your friend than just straight Bluetooth.  The only downside to mesh is that it takes more juice out of the battery.  Most of the friends I ride with have the SENA 50S, and we all use the mesh intercom feature.  We all carry small battery packs (plus a SENA charging cable) to recharge at a lunch stop, or run it on that battery pack, while we ride.  Alternatively, we can plug them into a USB port on the bike (assuming it's so equipped).  The same applies to Cardo in mesh mode, though I have no personal experience with Cardo.

Some may suggest getting the simplest device you can find, but you may discover, after some use, that you'd wish you'd gotten something a little more "full featured".  That's hard to say.

Mark said it just about as I would. 

get what your buddies have 

get mesh 

get full feature 

I’m a Sena guy and really like the 50s

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
lukaspriest
Posted (edited)

Thank you all so much!  I was looking at a Lexin G16 set, but comments about the need for "mesh" changed my mind.  Having good sound/voice clarity is important, but easy connectivity and great range are also top priority.  I've seen some conflicting info - some of what I've seen seems to suggest bluetooth has longer range than mesh when it comes to 2 motorcyclists, which I find puzzling.  I do understand that mesh creates a "chain" or "network" among riders, but in my case, there will be only 2 of us.  That being said, I've seen even more info to support that mesh has longer range.  Right now, it seems like my choice is between a Sena 50s and a Cardo Packtalk Edge.  I don't have a bunch of other buddies who are already in a Sena vs Cardo ecosystem - it'll be just my buddy and I.  I'll be getting a dual pack so that we both have the same set up.  Getting him a top-of-the-line headset will be my princely gift to him for finally getting a bike after years of coaxing, and we've both dreamed of being able to chat while we're riding bikes around scenic vistas.  Thank you all again for your feedback!

Edited by lukaspriest
clarify language
  • Like 1

Communication is awesome. I did the same with my cousin, buying a 2-pack of Cardo Freecom4 (the plus wasn't out yet) many years ago. They paid off on the first trip, and we've done many. It's awesome not only to be able to share things, but for safety. And making plans to stop, eat, etc. It was a game-changer for us, and it'll probably be for you guys too. Best of luck.

• Like 1
lukaspriest

All right, I settled on getting the Cardo Packtalk Edge.  It sounds like it's a very capable unit, has awesome range, I love the magnetic mounting feature, and I feel good about it having a 3 year warranty.  Pulled the trigger, I should be able to start toying around with it tomorrow.  I definitely laid out some money for them, but with these things, it apears that you get what you pay for.  Thanks again you all.

• Like 2
BerettaRacer

I just got the Cardo Edge a week ago. Last few days have been doing test rides doing setup, assorted volume adjustments etc. Got Waze and music thru the phone. Got the Garmin XT booming load and clear. Also tried having the phone feed thru the Garmin, that seems to work good too.

• Like 1
lukaspriest
2 hours ago, BerettaRacer said:

I just got the Cardo Edge a week ago. Last few days have been doing test rides doing setup, assorted volume adjustments etc. Got Waze and music thru the phone. Got the Garmin XT booming load and clear. Also tried having the phone feed thru the Garmin, that seems to work good too.

I take it you're having a good time with it? Mine just showed up today, but I haven't installed it yet or begun to play with it.

wbw6cos

If he is using it while on his bike, he is having a good time.   Just sayin'    :burnout:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Are the Senas weather resistant?  Thought I'd read they can't handle rain. 

Can't say I really like our older Cardos, we have several issues with them:  Picking up engine and wind noise, and one of them refuses to play music at a volume that is consistent with other inputs, so either you can't hear the music or you get blasted when someone speaks.  That said, I've never had one run out of battery when riding a long day (no extra doodads needed), and the mesh communication is excellent.   

5 hours ago, Twisties said:

Are the Senas weather resistant?  Thought I'd read they can't handle rain. 

I had a Sena 20s for years and now a 50s. Ridden in driving rain many times. Neither model has given me any static or hiccups. 

• Like 1

The charging ports are a weak link in the water-tightness of both brands.  Make sure the little rubber micro USB port cover is fully inserted and seated when you mount the unit on your helmet every time.  And don't try charging while you're riding if there is a chance of rain.  Water will short out the contacts and melt the plastics in the connectors.  AMHIK.

• Like 1

I have an older Cardo, the Freecom4 original (not the '+', nor the 'X'), and works perfectly fine; no static at all. The only negative that I could probably fix is the speakers are crap. I think the newer JBLs are much better, but don't want to mess with my helmets. They work perfectly fine for intercom, but they distort with music. My problem is I ride with ear plugs, so have to crank the volume to the max (or near the max). And yes, never ran out of battery, even after 10-hr days, talking a lot, and not turning them off during lunch or other stops; amazing.

12 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

I had a Sena 20s for years and now a 50s. Ridden in driving rain many times. Neither model has given me any static or hiccups. 

Ditto for my 10s and now 50s 👍