IGNORED

R1150r rear tyre

sp1john

sp1john

Hi .. will a 180/55/17 rear tyre fit in the r1150r.. it looks tight with the std 170 near the exhaust 

dirtrider
59 minutes ago, sp1john said:

Hi .. will a 180/55/17 rear tyre fit in the r1150r.. it looks tight with the std 170 near the exhaust 

Afternoon  sp1john

Yes/ no/ maybe so.

Depends on the tire's ACTUAL inflated width as some have a side wall that will contact the swing arm cutout. 

In any case, due to the rim width it pulls the tire sides in so the tire center wears out quicker.  

sp1john

Thanks .. the tyre i am looking at is the Michelin pilot road 4 tyre.. I have seen them on the r1150r but they only do a 160 or 180 

dirtrider
19 minutes ago, sp1john said:

Thanks .. the tyre i am looking at is the Michelin pilot road 4 tyre.. I have seen them on the r1150r but they only do a 160 or 180 

Evening sp1john

Does your rear wheel still have the spacer shim between the rear wheel & final drive spool? If someone has removed it to try to correct PTTR (Pull-To-The-Right) then your chances of fitting a 180 goes down. 

If you do try a 180 tire then you will probably need that spacer shim if it is now missing. It kind of depends on the tire width in the sidewall area, the final drive spool shimming in the final drive, the swing arm casting cutout, & the final drive pivot bearing stack-up. 

How much clearance to the swing arm do you have now with a 170 rear tire? The exhaust clearance can be moved out a little if needed with a little creative work. 

sp1john

.. the bike has the original tyres on .. the mileage is a genuine 2900 so I don't think thr back wheel has been out.. I will have a look tomorrow.. thanks again for your help

Redfoxx
48 minutes ago, sp1john said:

.. the bike has the original tyres on .. the mileage is a genuine 2900 so I don't think thr back wheel has been out.. I will have a look tomorrow.. thanks again for your help

did you look at Michelin Road 6 Dennis Kirk has in the 170/60-17 in stock, slightly cheaper than Revzilla.

I went to Road 6s since they where available in my size, and others Michelin Roads where not anymore for rear.

Tire shopping has become a challenge.

Man that would be no fun if it rubs.    Not worth it IMHO.    I really like the Dunlop Road Smart 4.    I believe it’s a 5 now, probably even better.    Longer life than the PR4.    I would think it’s most likely to rub on the swing arm.