IGNORED

Spring Wake Up Call

RPG

My 2004 RT has been in hibernation since last October and I was wondering if it has a similar feature as found on my 2000 Corvette.

The LS1 motor has a "clear flood" feature that can be used in the Spring to crank the motor to get the oil pressure up to spec before allowing it to start. Basically, you push the throttle to the floor and crank the engine and it won't fire.

I use this procedure for starting the Vette each spring and was wondering if I twisted the throttle wide open on my RT and cranked the engine, would the engine not start. Just something I thought might be an extra measure of assurance that I have oil pressure before starting the bike after a long lay-up.

Note: I've had no issues in the past just starting the bike (currently at 135k).

Thanks,

RPG

dirtrider
12 minutes ago, RPG said:

My 2004 RT has been in hibernation since last October and I was wondering if it has a similar feature as found on my 2000 Corvette.

The LS1 motor has a "clear flood" feature that can be used in the Spring to crank the motor to get the oil pressure up to spec before allowing it to start. Basically, you push the throttle to the floor and crank the engine and it won't fire.

I use this procedure for starting the Vette each spring and was wondering if I twisted the throttle wide open on my RT and cranked the engine, would the engine not start. Just something I thought might be an extra measure of assurance that I have oil pressure before starting the bike after a long lay-up.

Note: I've had no issues in the past just starting the bike (currently at 135k).

Thanks,

RPG

Morning Rick

It does have a clear-flood but I'm not sure that it totally shuts the fuel completely off.

Just remove the number 5 fuse as that that kills all the electronics. 

Morning D.R.

That sounds like a plan. I spin my R90s each Spring with no choke and it's an easy way to watch the oil light go out and not have the motor fire.

I'll remove fuse #5 and go from there.

Thanks much,

Rick

taylor1
36 minutes ago, RPG said:

That sounds like a plan

Hi Rick  Will you be listening to a radio after the RT is fired up ?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm happy to report after a five month layup, I took D.R.'s advice and removed fuse 5. I then cranked the bike for a few seconds to watch the oil light extinguish.

Replaced fuse 5 and did the TPS re-learn and then fired the bike up. Got my gear on and went for a nice, exhilarating 50 mile ride.

RPG

dirtrider
48 minutes ago, RPG said:

I'm happy to report after a five month layup, I took D.R.'s advice and removed fuse 5. I then cranked the bike for a few seconds to watch the oil light extinguish.

Replaced fuse 5 and did the TPS re-learn and then fired the bike up. Got my gear on and went for a nice, exhilarating 50 mile ride.

RPG

Morning Rick

Yes, weather is getting good. You are way too kind to your 04. In the spring I usually just thump the tires to see if they have air, look under the motorcycle & if no oil on the ground then it has enough oil, then fire it up & ride it. I do all my services (brakes, oil, final drive, etc) in the fall before storage so as long as the battery will start it, & the tires aren't flat, & no oil leaks, then I just assume it is good to go. I should check the air cleaner box for rodent nests & I usually eventually do but I should probably do that right after the bikes come out of winter storage. 

Are you going to the "All Clubs Ride", in Stockbridge on May 5th. I'm still not 100% sure but I sort of plan to be there if possible as I have a dirt ride in Mid Mich. that weekend. Mi has been getting a lot or rain recently so I might have to dig out my longer tow strap & deep water boots.  

• Like 1

My spring routine is similar to dr's, but I do check the tire pressure, no tpms on the old Harleys.

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Rick

Yes, weather is getting good. You are way too kind to your 04. In the spring I usually just thump the tires to see if they have air, look under the motorcycle & if no oil on the ground then it has enough oil, then fire it up & ride it. I do all my services (brakes, oil, final drive, etc) in the fall before storage so as long as the battery will start it, & the tires aren't flat, & no oil leaks, then I just assume it is good to go. I should check the air cleaner box for rodent nests & I usually eventually do but I should probably do that right after the bikes come out of winter storage. 

Are you going to the "All Clubs Ride", in Stockbridge on May 5th. I'm still not 100% sure but I sort of plan to be there if possible as I have a dirt ride in Mid Mich. that weekend. Mi has been getting a lot or rain recently so I might have to dig out my longer tow strap & deep water boots.  

Morning D.R., probably overkill and I've not done this in the past but I found peace of mind doing this on my R90s. On that bike, it's carbureted of course, so just cranking the engine without a choke eventually turns out the Oil light.

I do all my services in the fall as well and leave the battery on a tender, with dryer sheets places in various places to keep any potential rodents out.

I AM planning on taking my '74 R90s to Stockbridge on Sunday. Would love to meet you and say hi and THANKS in person for all your help. Please let me know how I can contact you through messaging or whatever is appropriate. Hope to see you there.