IGNORED

Trunk Lock Indicator Replacement.

Redfoxx

Redfoxx

Several riders had the same issue that I had the Lock indicator flag was broken off.

I bought a BMW kit to repair and got around to it today.  It was actually a easy hour long project with taking lots of Photos. It turned out just like new.

IMG_5530.jpg

IMG_5536.jpg

IMG_5537.jpg

IMG_5538.jpg

IMG_5554.jpg

IMG_55622.jpg

I still haven't been successful in removing the lock cylinder. I bent a paper clip as suggested in another post but I haven't been lucky to get the right release spot yet. wouldn't be surprised at all if I'm doing it wrong.

Redfoxx
23 minutes ago, jascoi said:

I still haven't been successful in removing the lock cylinder. I bent a paper clip as suggested in another post but I haven't been lucky to get the right release spot yet. wouldn't be surprised at all if I'm doing it wrong.

It was pretty much straight in the notch, if you look in you will see a flat gold bar, just push in with paper clip. That was the thing that took me the longest since I saw people using bent clips. 

IMG_5535.jpg

• Like 1
dirtrider
11 hours ago, jascoi said:

Morning  jascoi

You need to have the key turned to have the lower retaining wafer line up with the hole that the paper clip goes into. (this retracts all except the lower locking wafer).  See upper & lower red arrows showing direction.

You need to feel around a little with the paper clip until you find the spring pressure of the lower retaining wafer (you MUST depress that lower retaining wafer against the spring before the lock cylinder will come out. (lower red arrow)

If you have some key wear, or a loose fitting key, you sometimes need to wiggle the key or pull the key up & down very slightly to get all the locking wafers to fully retract. See blue arrow for one wafer that it not quite fully retracted. 

Personally I use a little stronger wire than a paper clip (tig welding rod), a paper clip will work but a slightly stronger wire usually works a little better.

Modified picture borrowed from  Redfoxx's post above.

Lock cylinder.jpg

• Like 2
Redfoxx
2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  jascoi

You need to have the key turned to have the lower retaining wafer line up with the hole that the paper clip goes into. (this retracts all except the lower locking wafer).  See upper & lower red arrows showing direction.

You need to feel around a little with the paper clip until you find the spring pressure of the lower retaining wafer (you MUST depress that lower retaining wafer against the spring before the lock cylinder will come out. (lower red arrow)

If you have some key wear, or a loose fitting key, you sometimes need to wiggle the key or pull the key up & down very slightly to get all the locking wafers to fully retract. See blue arrow for one wafer that it not quite fully retracted. 

Personally I use a little stronger wire than a paper clip (tig welding rod), a paper clip will work but a slightly stronger wire usually works a little better.

Modified picture borrowed from  Redfoxx's post above.

Lock cylinder.jpg

DR

I tried a finish nail and was struggling. If I was going to make a tool, I think I would use a small straight screw driver and and curve tip to side slightly. The paper clip was a straight and small enough to push. that spring lock was flush and grease cover to the bottom of the lock assembly.  

I love the picture I thought it looked familiar.  This other picture  is one more you can see groove you poke through and the entire parts kit. I didn't think about putting lock insert back in while I had apart. Feel free to use my pictures for educational purposes. 

RF

IMG_5534.jpg

IMG_5533.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

with the information I was able to remove the lock cylinder and rekey it.  Ignition key now unlocks the side bag. now i need to find a left bag. a cheap scraped up left one will match the right one. 

3 hours ago, jascoi said:

with the information I was able to remove the lock cylinder and rekey it.  Ignition key now unlocks the side bag. now i need to find a left bag. a cheap scraped up left one will match the right one. 

Glad to help with lock. Cant help with bag. :-)