IGNORED

BMW Performance Center Two-Day Off Road Training Experience

F16Viper68

F16Viper68

I'm scheduled to attend the BMW Performance Center Two-Day Off Road training on April 29th and 30th in Greer, SC.  It will be right after START 2024 in Newport, TN so I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone at START and then heading over for two days of training.  I'm curious, thoughts on riding home (400 miles / eight hours) the day after training?  Should I book an extra day just in case?  

Also, I'd welcome any tips or suggestions from the folks who have gone through the training already.   

Dave...

• Like 1
11 hours ago, F16Viper68 said:

I'm scheduled to attend the BMW Performance Center Two-Day Off Road training on April 29th and 30th in Greer, SC.  It will be right after START 2024 in Newport, TN so I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone at START and then heading over for two days of training.  I'm curious, thoughts on riding home (400 miles / eight hours) the day after training?  Should I book an extra day just in case?  

Also, I'd welcome any tips or suggestions from the folks who have gone through the training already.   

Dave...

Dave, I did the two day on/off-road course, so a bit different than yours. The next morning my friend Mike (another Mike) and I hit the road pretty early to get to the Barber Motorsports Museum in Birmingham. At the end of the second day I was a bit wiped out, but there’s no point at which you are forced to push yourself beyond your personal limits. A steak dinner that evening got me back to 100%. I was fine…and I’m a geezer…but all things considered I would have been just as happy to hang around an extra day to tour the BMW assembly plant and museum. If you do decide to do that, just be sure to book your tickets ahead of time.  

Two gear/apparel notes: I attended in September and it actually got pretty cool (in the 40s). Nonetheless, it’s physically demanding and I worked up a sweat both days, so make sure you dress accordingly. Also, I wore low boots and tore up my shins in my many get-offs, whacking against the cylinder heads. So, wear taller boots if you have them. The training takes place on schedule, regardless of weather, so be aware of that as you decide how to dress each morning.

• Thanks 1
F16Viper68
2 hours ago, Mike said:

Dave, I did the two day on/off-road course, so a bit different than yours. The next morning my friend Mike (another Mike) and I hit the road pretty early to get to the Barber Motorsports Museum in Birmingham. At the end of the second day I was a bit wiped out, but there’s no point at which you are forced to push yourself beyond your personal limits. A steak dinner that evening got me back to 100%. I was fine…and I’m a geezer…but all things considered I would have been just as happy to hang around an extra day to tour the BMW assembly plant and museum. If you do decide to do that, just be sure to book your tickets ahead of time.  

Two gear/apparel notes: I attended in September and it actually got pretty cool (in the 40s). Nonetheless, it’s physically demanding and I worked up a sweat both days, so make sure you dress accordingly. Also, I wore low boots and tore up my shins in my many get-offs, whacking against the cylinder heads. So, wear taller boots if you have them. The training takes place on schedule, regardless of weather, so be aware of that as you decide how to dress each morning.

Mike – Thanks for the feedback. I was unaware that a museum or assembly plant is available for viewing. I’ll be sure to check it out and see if it fits into my schedule. I am curious about how I’ll feel after two days of off-road training, but I guess that depends on how I perform (e.g., number of falls, amount of time standing, etc) during training. It is good to hear they won’t push you beyond your limits. 

I have most of the gear suggestions covered except for the taller off-road oriented boots. My boots (TCX Airtech) go about six to eight inches above my ankle, but certainly not the mid-calf I see with off-road boots.

I’m hoping next year, I’ll be able to take the two on-road training courses to complement the off-road training. 

Thanks again for the response and feedback.

Dave

TSConver

I was just there a few weeks ago for the 2 day offraod.

Wear real Enduro boots. Usually 4 buckles per boot. Biggest injury is ankle.

Stay an extra day. We did. Riding would have been horrible. You are worn out after each day and I would not want to be on the bike again to ride home.

It is a blast. Great training.

• Like 1
MikeB60
2 hours ago, F16Viper68 said:

I’m hoping next year, I’ll be able to take the two on-road training courses 

Dave, I've heard nothing but good things about the BMW performance school. That said, for on road training definitely consider the California Superbike School. They visit Barber one a year typically in May. Level 1 is not about racing and hands down was the best training I've had on a motorcycle and Barber is awesome. Can't recommend it enough. 

• Like 1
wbw6cos

Mike, I only did the 1/2 day on-road/off-road and from what I hear it does not compare to the 2 full day off-road course.   I am pretty sure @Chris K and/or @Slumgullion can give you better insight. 

It should be fun, though.  Enjoy.

• Like 2
F16Viper68
3 hours ago, TSConver said:

I was just there a few weeks ago for the 2 day offraod.

Wear real Enduro boots. Usually 4 buckles per boot. Biggest injury is ankle.

Stay an extra day. We did. Riding would have been horrible. You are worn out after each day and I would not want to be on the bike again to ride home.

It is a blast. Great training.

Thank you. I just ordered some boots to give me some time to break them in.  Thanks for the advice.  

What did you do on the day off?  

Dave...

F16Viper68
2 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Dave, I've heard nothing but good things about the BMW performance school. That said, for on road training definitely consider the California Superbike School. They visit Barber one a year typically in May. Level 1 is not about racing and hands down was the best training I've had on a motorcycle and Barber is awesome. Can't recommend it enough. 

Mike - Do you ride your own bike during this training or so they offer bikes like BMW?  Barber and bike training sounds like an awesome combination.  :)

Dave...

I would just see how it goes and stay flexible. Maybe stay another day or maybe leisurely ride a half day in the general direction on some 2 lane roads. A chance to think about what you learned and incorporate it into your system. Take frequent breaks in quiet church lots and think and rethink what you learned. Then go home the second day. There are lots of fun little roads in SC, N-GA and W-GA. Stay of the I-State and enjoy the ride. 

F16Viper68
1 hour ago, Bernie said:

I would just see how it goes and stay flexible. Maybe stay another day or maybe leisurely ride a half day in the general direction on some 2 lane roads. A chance to think about what you learned and incorporate it into your system. Take frequent breaks in quiet church lots and think and rethink what you learned. Then go home the second day. There are lots of fun little roads in SC, N-GA and W-GA. Stay of the I-State and enjoy the ride. 

I think I'm just going to play it by ear.  If I'm hurting, maybe I'll just make it a leisurely two-day ride through GA via the back roads.  Thanks to you I know where to eat in GA.  :)

TSConver
2 hours ago, F16Viper68 said:

Thank you. I just ordered some boots to give me some time to break them in.  Thanks for the advice.  

Dave...

Real motocross boota dont realy break in lol.  Too much hard plastic and support.

We went and had cigars and a drink on Friday night. Then just rode home on the next day.

• Like 1
Indy Scott
6 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Great experience and get your MOA training dollars like I didn’t.  😆.    Nice to do with their bikes.  I ripped a shifter off on the last ride and they didn’t bat an eye.  I know this is a gear centric audience but depending on the temperatures less may be more.   It’s two, big, days.    

• Like 2
TSConver
11 minutes ago, Indy Scott said:

Great experience and get your MOA training dollars like I didn’t.  😆.    Nice to do with their bikes.  I ripped a shifter off on the last ride and they didn’t bat an eye.  I know this is a gear centric audience but depending on the temperatures less may be more.   It’s two, big, days.    

For the most part if it was warm I would ride in just long sleeves and long pants at the training. That is required. Don't skimp on the boots.

For the moa money you have to request it 30 days prior to the training.

• Like 1
TSConver
3 hours ago, F16Viper68 said:

Dave...

Also you have any offroad experience or riding standing?

If not expect to drop it a bunch if you are trying to do what they ask.

• Like 1
F16Viper68
27 minutes ago, TSConver said:

Real motocross boota dont realy break in lol.  Too much hard plastic and support.

We went and had cigars and a drink on Friday night. Then just rode home on the next day.

Well at least I'll know if they fit or not before I head north.  :)

F16Viper68
17 minutes ago, Indy Scott said:

Good to know if I ding the bike I don't have to break out the wallet.  :)  Thanks to @Indy Dave I knew about the MOA scholarship and have pre-approval.  

I have layers so I'll be able to gear up or down, if necessary.  

Dave...

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
F16Viper68
5 minutes ago, TSConver said:

Also you have any offroad experience or riding standing?

If not expect to drop it a bunch if you are trying to do what they ask.

Yes to both but not a whole lot which is why I'm taking the training.  

• Like 1
MikeB60
7 hours ago, F16Viper68 said:

Mike - Do you ride your own bike during this training or so they offer bikes like BMW?  Barber and bike training sounds like an awesome combination.  :)

Dave...

I had a FZ1 at the time and that's what I rode for the training. They currently have BMW S1000rr for rent or you could ride your GS. Here is a LINK

• Like 2

I'd absolutely stay an extra night. The main reason is if you put your best effort, you'll be wiped out both physically and mentally at the end of the day. But a close second in your case is with off-road training, you're going down; the only question is how many times, and if you'll get injured. So it makes no sense to me to push riding back that long right after. So better to relax, have a nice dinner, recover, and ride back the next day, once well rested. It's all about your safety, but to each his own, of course. Good luck.

Finally, I go to 2-day motorcycle camps (and sometimes cars too) every few years, and last was Laguna Seca in '21, so we might do Barber in July. We tried May several weeks ago, but it was fully booked, so forget about May if you don't already have a reservation.

• Like 1
F16Viper68

Okay, how to do you shift on a GS with motocross boots?  :) :)  No way my foot fits under the gear shift lever.  

TSConver
4 hours ago, F16Viper68 said:

Okay, how to do you shift on a GS with motocross boots?  :) :)  No way my foot fits under the gear shift lever.  

First adjust the shifter up as far as it will go and try it then.  I usually have to take the threaded linkage out and cut a little off each end to get enough adjustment.  Some guys will also shift with the edge of the sole.

Also the actual piece that the boot goes under is eccentric and can be rotated to add additional room.

On 4/12/2024 at 7:31 PM, TSConver said:

shift with the edge of the sole

This^^^^^

• Like 1
F16Viper68

Thanks, for the advice on how to shift with motocross boots.  It will be interesting since the training will not take place on my motorcycle but rather the BMW Performance Center  bikes.  @TSConver were the shifters at the Performance Center set up for motocross boots?

TSConver
1 hour ago, F16Viper68 said:

Thanks, for the advice on how to shift with motocross boots.  It will be interesting since the training will not take place on my motorcycle but rather the BMW Performance Center  bikes.  @TSConver were the shifters at the Performance Center set up for motocross boots?

Kind of. There was only one time where you were asked to shift standing. Many could not handle that and started in 2nd gear. That s for emergency braking. Everything else was 1st gear.

F16Viper68
24 minutes ago, TSConver said:

Kind of. There was only one time where you were asked to shift standing. Many could not handle that and started in 2nd gear. That s for emergency braking. Everything else was 1st gear.

Thank you.  I heard there wasn't much shifting during the training.  I feel these boots will be worth wearing since they feel great standing on the pegs vs. my standard motorcycle boots.  How I get them up to START is another matter.  :)