IGNORED

Another ride-about in the desert

hunter41

hunter41

I wanted to test out my new R1250RS on roads that go on forever, and, the desert is the only viable option right now.  Snow and mudslides have taken out the good sporty routes in California this winter/early spring.  The RS has bar risers fitted, but the seating position is still lean forward and I wondered how my 65 year old body would fare doing 4 days of desert droning.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I know now that longer trips will not be a problem.

First off, the RS OEM side cases have a bottom shelf which, based on the way I pack and use them, are not something I prefer.  They worked out OK though, just something I have to get used to (like getting use to the keyless feature...just give me a regular dang key).  I dont think I will get liners.

My route was a loop that went through Joshua Tree NP,  lake Havasu and Oatman AZ, Las Vegas (to visit grandkids), Death Valley,  and Lone Pine CA.  It was just shy of 1,200 miles, ranged from 30 to 87 degrees, and dry for all but 5 minutes.  I had ridden most of the roads at sometime in my life, but a new one to me was rte 190 from Panamint Springs headed to Lone Pine.  Twistie, perfect pavement, and uncrowded.  I am not much of a picture taker but did manage to get a couple earlier in the trip.

Joshua Tree National Park.  Great scenery but a lot of visitors (driving slow), especially for a Wednesday. 

JT1sized.thumb.jpg.e3fb010245160959bf6930fa67132904.jpg

JTsized.thumb.jpg.112a8a0eced01b35d0eb9b8b5a0acce5.jpg

Refreshment stop at Parker strip on Colorado River.  87 degrees, spring break, but hardly anyone there. parkerresized.thumb.jpg.d61a34b3340b06f4faf56c091d4e6e1c.jpg

Stopped to talk to the locals in Oatman AZ.

oatmanresized.thumb.jpg.5ec67a0c40fd43a0eb42fccf12483c44.jpg

Left Las Vegas and headed down Tecopa Rd/Old Spanish Hwy on my way to Death Valley.  A balmy 33 degrees at this stop.

tecoparesize.thumb.jpg.f463ae894613bea1e20af96467b844d3.jpg

• Like 10

A good way to get acquainted the touring aspect of your RS.  This time of year is good for the desert.