IGNORED

Wiring harness plug behind the fairing... "I wonder what this is"

7873jake

7873jake

I've scoured the diagrams and I've arrived at one supposition but the colors don't appear to agree 100% with what I'm seeing. 

The plug and harness shown in the picture is tucked up behind the shifter side fairing, inboard from and just below the mirror. This view is from the front.

Was the radio connection part of the harness regardless of whether the bike came equipped? 

I also have a cigarette lighter type aux socket inside the glove box/radio location (no pic of that)  but it seems to be cold and dark according to my meter, whether the bike is on or off. Were they an OEM item or an afterthought by a previous owner? I've yet to dig in to that issue as I'm not in need of it for now but I can see where that could change as I venture farther afield.

Jake

PXL_20240301_035806431.jpg

PXL_20240301_035700600.jpg

PXL_20240301_035821470.jpg

dirtrider
8 minutes ago, 7873jake said:

I've scoured the diagrams and I've arrived at one supposition but the colors don't appear to agree 100% with what I'm seeing. 

The plug and harness shown in the picture is tucked up behind the shifter side fairing, inboard from and just below the mirror. This view is from the front.

Was the radio connection part of the harness regardless of whether the bike came equipped? 

I also have a cigarette lighter type aux socket inside the glove box/radio location (no pic of that)  but it seems to be cold and dark according to my meter, whether the bike is on or off. Were they an OEM item or an afterthought by a previous owner? I've yet to dig in to that issue as I'm not in need of it for now but I can see where that could change as I venture farther afield.

Jake

Afternoon Jake

It would help to know what you are working on.

Guessing it is a 1100RT or 1150RT?

In any case, yes BMW did offer a factory installed radio prep kit (no radio installed but the proper wiring/connectors were included & installed).

On the aux socket inside the glove box?  That is not OEM BMW, someone added that. 

dirtrider
11 hours ago, 7873jake said:

My apologies, it's an '02 1150RT. 

Morning Jake

A lot of USA 2002 1150RT motorcycles came with the radio prep factory installed (it might of even been standard on the very early 2002 1150RT's). Made it easy for the BMW dealers to sell & install a radio post sale.   

If you install a radio fuse in the fuse box the radio connectors will give you both key-on 12v B+ & full time 12v B+ to use for things like a GPS or phone charging or an accessory relay operation. 

7873jake

Oh @dirtriderthat was what I was hoping to discover!

Is there an identifier for that type of connector that I could use to locate/order the male side and plumb it with wire for the connection(s) I would use? Done similar things with Deutsch connectors but I don't recognize the "architecture" of this plug. (I ask this as an alternative to hacking into the plug.)

dirtrider
14 minutes ago, 7873jake said:

Oh @dirtriderthat was what I was hoping to discover!

Is there an identifier for that type of connector that I could use to locate/order the male side and plumb it with wire for the connection(s) I would use? Done similar things with Deutsch connectors but I don't recognize the "architecture" of this plug. (I ask this as an alternative to hacking into the plug.)

Afternoon Jake

Yes there is, BUT I'm not sure where to source them now. Back in the 1150 era I had access to those connectors & terminals (through a vendor that I was working with) but I used all those up years ago. 

I don't do a lot of adding accessories to the old 1100/1150 bikes as most have already been done by previous owners. 

I have used 2 work arounds on the few that I have tapped into in the last few years. One way is just cut the appropriate wires then add a parallel pig tail with a modern male/female connector (all splices covered with sealing heat shrink). The other way is to make & add a pigtail to the existing connecter terminals then plug in the mating terminal pins, then slide on a large diameter heat shrink & shrink it to the connector, then seal inside the heat shrink with a silicone sealer. 

While I haven't tried to match the BMW 1150 radio connectors, in a lot of cases the BMW auto side uses the same connectors as the motorcycle side (probably not for the same accessories though). If you take some fine detailed closeup pictures then find a VERY knowledgeable BMW parts counter person they might be able to match  them up to what you have. (auto dealer usually have many more connectors & terminal in stock than BMW motorcycle dealers & at a LOT less cost).