IGNORED

Best Practice of Connecting Garmin to TFT on R1250RT

konacyclist

konacyclist

Like many of you I have been working with the BMW Motorrad Connected app and its' map function. After two full years of mostly successful use, I have decided to stop struggling with it and revert to a dedicated GPS, A Garmin XT2.

I use a Cardo Packtalk Edge headset when riding and would like to hear turn by turn instructions from the Garmin, take the occasional phone call and only rarely, listen to Sirius XM radio from the bike's radio. What would be the best paring procedure to accomplish this? I don't wish to store my phone in the provided compartment since it won't charge my new iPhone 15 pro anyway. Thanks for any help you can provide.

You pair your TFT as primary phone and the XT as secondary phone to the Cardo. That should allow the Garmin to be heard in the background. I think.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
IndyRob

If you are not going to listen to the bike's audio as a source, then why would you need to pair it to your Cardo at all?  Seems like you could just pair your Garmin except for those "rare" times you want XM....  

My 2024 RT is on order but I've been lurking around to try to learn how the connectivity and nav work.  I've read a lot of the threads saying the BMWConnect App doesn't work well, that there are connection issues etc...  so in anticipation of this being correct I bought the Kelferizer mount to add my existing Garmin XT to my bike, hopefully as just a "backup".   I plan to at least "try" to live with the BMWConnect App for a while as my sole source of navigation.  It seems pretty good, at least on the phone....and from what I understand it is no longer dependent on a good cell signal.  I have the SiriusXM app on my phone with unlimited data and it's tied to my car XM account, so to save money on yet another XM subscription my "going in" plan is to pair the phone and the bike to my Cardo (no Garmin at this point...), hopefully be able to play the SiriusXM from the phone's app via bluetooth as well as get audio instructions from the BMWConnect App that (fingers crossed) will override my XM music as needed.  Has anyone tried this setup??

I can change XM stations via Siri when walking with my earpods Pro2, but my oldish Cardo Freecom4 didn't understand it, and got hung up, so at the next stop just put it in Spotify, and use the Cardo controls to skip songs (if needed). Will search how to update the software to see if by any chance that works, which I read Cardo updated precisely that, but not sure it applies to my Freecom4. The newer Freecom4+ might be better. And there might be yet a newer version still. Need to check, since my Freecom4 has the old BT version (3.x), instead of the newer 5.x, which my iPhone 15 ProMax has. But I don't want to mess with the helmet kits (I have 2).

1 hour ago, IndyRob said:

and from what I understand it is no longer dependent on a good cell signal

That was never a requirement. Download maps over WIFI is all you ever needed. Live traffic is the only thing that needs data connection, if used at all.

• Like 1

I have been using the BMWConnected App with my iPhone7 for over 10K miles with not to many problems on my 2023 R1250RT.

Once I lost GPS signal in W-GA, which may have been due to the tired GPS chip in the phone.

It does a good job recording my rides and giving me navigation directions and displaying a map on the TFT.

I have my Cardo Edge paired only to my TFT on my R1250RT. I have my iPhone 7 Paired to my TFT on my R1250RT.

I can play the music from my Apple Music with no problems. To adjust the volume for the music or the navigation directions, I just adjust the volume on my Cardo Edge unit.

If I need to make a phone call, I scroll through the phone book on the TFT and select dial. The phone book is copied from the iPhone 7.

I don't use intercom. 

IndyRob

Thanks for the info Bernie!  Just got an update from my dealer that my bike is 2 days out from the Port of New York, so hope to have it by the end of April.  Stoked!

• Like 1