IGNORED

Installing handlebar risers on a '94 R1100RS - question about cables/wiring

lukaspriest

lukaspriest

I recently picked up this amazing bike (my very first BMW) and aside from getting it updated with steel brake lines and performing proper maintenance/service, I want to install a set of handle bar risers ("bar-backs") so that I can bring the controls about 1.5 - 2 inches closer.  I know that I'll need a longer brake line for the risers, but I'm a bit worried that such a mod would require longer throttle cables/wiring as well.  Is there anyone here who has installed a set of these who would be able to comment on this?  Will just the extended brake line be sufficient to do this job, or will I need to look at getting other cables/wiring as well?  Thank you!

dirtrider
50 minutes ago, lukaspriest said:

I recently picked up this amazing bike (my very first BMW) and aside from getting it updated with steel brake lines and performing proper maintenance/service, I want to install a set of handle bar risers ("bar-backs") so that I can bring the controls about 1.5 - 2 inches closer.  I know that I'll need a longer brake line for the risers, but I'm a bit worried that such a mod would require longer throttle cables/wiring as well.  Is there anyone here who has installed a set of these who would be able to comment on this?  Will just the extended brake line be sufficient to do this job, or will I need to look at getting other cables/wiring as well?  Thank you!

Evening lukaspriest

If you don't go overboard on the up or back then you can probably use the stock throttle cable, choke cable, & upper brake hose.

You probably should think about the throttle & choke cable before buying the bark backs as your 1994 1100RS uses a one piece throttle cable with a built in crossover cable (be very difficult to build a new one & the chances of buying a new longer one is about 0).

You do have some leeway in how you route the throttle & choke cable  so you can usually get modest barbacks to work with the stock cables. 

On the brake hose, on a motorcycle that old ALL the rubber brake hoses  should be replaced anyhow so you can order custom lengths as needed. Those old brake hoses have a bad habit of blowing out or internally disintegrating so they REALLY should be replaced as soon as possible. 

My one suggestion is to just ride that motorcycle as is for while. The RS does feel different & usually feels forward & too low but once most riders get used to it then it really isn't that  bad. At least give it a chance as it might be OK once you adjust to it. 

• Thanks 1
lukaspriest

Oracle, I REALLY appreciate your reply!  Yeah, I'm not looking to do anything drastic, maybe 1/2" or so up and maybe 1" back, based upon the ones I'm looking at.  Thank you for the info about the throttle cable.  Yes, when I saw that the bike had 30 year old rubber brake lines, I knew immediately that they needed to go.  I am very grateful for your wisdom!

• Like 1