IGNORED

Garmin zūmo XT2 Review

MotoNews

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Garmin zūmo XT2 Review intro

I’m just back from a nine-week, 10-state ride around the U.S. and was delighted to have the chance to use Garmin’s new and much-updated XT2 navigation device for the trip.

The XT2 packaging includes the wiring and a RAM handlebar mount. The cables are long enough to feed through to the handlebars of every ADV motorcycle I can think of. Wiring the unit is simple, and the cable isn’t live unless the ignition is on. Garmin says this power connection should be used in preference to any USB power options because a USB socket won’t have enough output to power the system at full capacity. A USB C cable is also included for off-the-bike charging.

The 6-inch unit clicks easily onto the mount and is a firm fit. You can mount it in both portrait and landscape directions. And note, the XT2 will fit the XT1 mount but not vice versa.

GarminXT2 Review 1

I instantly liked the size of the screen and how bright everything is at 1280x720 pixels resolution. The size, brightness, and clarity of the trans-reflective screen are a great combination. At night, the screen is crisp and clear but not overly bright. And I like the quick zoom feature and how glove-friendly this unit is.

The home screen opens quickly and automatically gives you a “Where too?” and “View Map” options, which clearly show where you are. You can set the screen to show quite a few variations of maps. I chose the topographic option as it helped me to see a bigger picture. There’s a satellite view option, too, and I suspect this will be very useful when you’re off the beaten track.

Garmin has built the Tread app to work alongside the XT2. This app makes it simple to import your own GPX tracks, or source these files from other riders. For simple A-to-B route planning with the XT2, you can simply type an address into the device without using the Tread app.

The XT2 is customizable to display your preferences, including map styles, and the POIs and other info on those maps. I selected to see campgrounds, national parks, and traffic as well as gas stations, rest areas, and lodging. Other options include restaurants, banks and ATMs, traffic light cameras, trendy places, and parking. You have the opportunity to preset such things as no toll roads. And you can also choose to include gravel roads among the selectable options.

The XT2 also features a Group Ride mode, again using the Tread app on each rider’s phone. Start a group ride by creating a new group ride as the leader. Then allow other riders to see it, sharing the ride ID via the Tread app. If you’re within cell phone coverage, you can see where each group ride member is on the map. The XT2 will also give you live traffic info, weather, and road conditions—such as which routes will be icy under current meteorological data and which won’t.

The Garmin XT2 is a cracking bit of kit to use. You don’t have to be an experienced GPS user or a techie to understand it. Taking advantage of its many options is easy. Bottom line: I just bought one.

GarminXT2 Review 2

Garmin.com

MSRP: $599.99

Where to Buy:

Official Site btn   Amazon btn

PROS:

• Great screen—clarity, size, and glove-friendly
  • Very easy to connect to other riders
  • Excellent lane and turn warnings

CONS:

• Pretty pricey
  • It’s a little glitchy. A couple of times it shut itself down mid-route