IGNORED

Best Tire for Longevity

Steveyacht

Steveyacht

Greetings!

I have a 2023 1250RT with the Michelin Road 6 tires. I just turned 6,000 miles and I doubt the front tire has any more than one or two thousand miles left before it will need to be replaced.  While I appreciate the capabilities of the Road 6 tires when it comes to "Sport" riding, I no longer ride that aggressively. What, if any, other tires are available that will give me longer life?  Maybe 10,000 miles, preferably as much as 12,000. At about $700.00 per pair, and needing them twice a year, it gets expensive. (My last two bikes, Victory Cross Countries, would get 15,000 out of a set of Elite 3's)

Once upon a long time ago, I used to use the Metzler ME88 Marathon, rear and the Metzler Lazer on the front of my Honda VF700S Sabre. I was a much more aggressive rider then and was getting around 10,000 miles from a set.  

Just looking for possible suggestions.  

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I have the same issue with my 2019.  It came with Michelin 5s.  Didn't last all that long, so I went to Dunlop RS 4.  I like these the best and they lasted the best for me at about 9000.  I found a guy selling 'take off' Metzler and bought them.  Worst tire ever-think I have less than 3000 miles and lots of cupping and uneven wear on the front (I'm sure some could be from inflation issues but I'm usually careful.)    So yesterday while in Cycle gear found a set of Dunlops that were priced right (for me, not the store), I picked up my new tires to start the season.  I used to get 10-12K from Metzler Marathon for my LT, a much heavier bike and almost always two up.  Puzzled, and still figuring out, while loving, the new ride. I'm headed to Alaska in June, so trying to figure if I can stand the Metzler for few thousand more miles so I can have fresh tires for the long summer ride.   I find as I age, my sport riding leans are getting more and more tame!   

• Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, DBULL said:

I found a guy selling 'take off' Metzler and bought them.

Not a good way to form an opinion of a tire's quality.....take offs are a huge unknown.

The reality is that no one makes a tire for these Sport-Touring bikes that is as hard as the tires for dedicated slab touring bikes. You wouldn't like'em if they did. The bike would not perform the way its designers intended. That said, a buddy of mine is running Contiroad Attack 4's and has been very happy with the mileage so far. He has also "reined-in" his sport side of the Sport-Touring label.   As always, YMMV:java:

• Like 2

I agree 9Mary7-usually stay away from those 'take off' deals, but I knew the guy and they had only 300 miles.  I'm still trying to figure out the best for the long term for my 'last bike' at age 73!  I have heard one other running the Contiroads, I'll check with him during the season.  Thanks 

• Like 1
Skywagon

It probably has more to do with your roads, pressure, rider weight, and riding styles than sport tire mfgs.  I’ve never got less than 12,000 miles and usually run to 14,000 before I change tires and they still look good. I have used the Michelins 2-4. I’m currently on T-31’s at about 6000 and they look fine. My bike came new with Continental something and I took them off at 2000 miles because the backend kept getting loose on dry pavement. 

I like these T-31’s better than I did Michelin because they are much quieter, seem to lean/turn easier, and cost a lot less. It will be a while before I know if they will last 12,000 or not, but so far so good. 

PS. I ran Metzlers on a previous bike and hated them. Traction was bad for me. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Dunlop RoadSmart 4 and Michelin Road 6GT get the best mileage for me, around 8,600 miles. All the other brands get around 4,500 miles before the cords come out. You could try some real cheap brands like Shinko, Kenda or Mitas and the savings and loss of traction in rain maybe attractive for you, but I would not recommend them to anyone that rides with me. Or leave the bike in either Eco or Rain mode and slow down. 

• Smile 1

First Road 6GT gave me 6,000 miles over this past summer in North Carolina. 2nd Road ^GT is pushing 8,000 miles (identical roads but cooler fall and winter temps I assume for the better mileage.)

I am about to install a RoadSmart 4 "GT" which I got from Europe (as it's not available (GT) in the U.S. market,) and am very curious as to how well it will wear compared to the prior Road 6GT's along with what others report for their non-GT RS4's.

(With shipping, the RS 4 GT comes in close to the price of the Road 6GT's (about $310 or so,) to my door.

Indy Dave
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

I like these T-31’s better than I did .....

Do you mean T32's?

Skywagon
1 hour ago, Indy Dave said:

Do you mean T32's?

No. T-31. They have upgraded to T-32. T32 will be my next set. 

FB7B3D62-6B64-415A-9771-EF3547101895.jpeg

• Like 1
Indy Dave

Fair enough. I preferred the T32 much more vs T31. You'll be in for a nice surprise when you change tires again.

• Like 1
Skywagon
19 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

when you change tires again.

Thanks ...  Ahhh. have them changed. Homey don't change tires.  Local Cycle gear charges $40/each.  Local BMW dealer charges $100 each and they literally are right next door to each other. One time I took a prior bike into the dealer and asked them to put tires on it.  They walked next door to CycleGear and picked them up.  That 2 minute trip caused a markup of $35/tire. Last time I changed a tire was on my Schwinn Stingray Circa 1966.  ...I've been happy with these T-31's so good to hear the T-32's are even better.

Will I see you at Moto GP next week?

• Like 2
Indy Dave

Regretfully, no MotoGP for me this year. 🥺

@Steveyacht move country for different road surfaces. My first set of Road 6 GTs lasted just over 10000 miles (17800 km), mostly two up. RS3 set on a hexhead RT a lot less. OEM Metzellers even less than that.

It's all about the surfaces you run your tyres on.

• Like 1
Indy Dave
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Fly into Austin and I'll pick you up.

If only it were that easy! We were away for 8 days at the end of March and I just have too much going to to get away again before START. Hope to make it work in 2025 w/ @BMW_Ken, who had to miss out last year and is due!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Bernie said:

Dunlop RoadSmart 4 and Michelin Road 6GT get the best mileage for me, around 8,600 miles. All the other brands get around 4,500 miles before the cords come out. You could try some real cheap brands like Shinko, Kenda or Mitas and the savings and loss of traction in rain maybe attractive for you, but I would not recommend them to anyone that rides with me. Or leave the bike in either Eco or Rain mode and slow down. 

Yep ... what Bernie said.  Michelin Road6 GT's and Road Smart 4's.  I have gotten 9500 out of the Road6's and had another 1000 maybe but was headed out on a trip.  Running RS4's now and so far I like them a lot.   Putting a fresh set on next week in prep for my trip to Redmond in June.   That will be about 8000 miles round trip so hoping I get home with some tread left. 

• Like 1
Steveyacht
14 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Yep ... what Bernie said.  Michelin Road6 GT's and Road Smart 4's.  I have gotten 9500 out of the Road6's and had another 1000 maybe but was headed out on a trip.  Running RS4's now and so far I like them a lot.   Putting a fresh set on next week in prep for my trip to Redmond in June.   That will be about 8000 miles round trip so hoping I get home with some tread left. 

If I can consistently get around 9,000 to 10,000 miles out of a pair of Road 6's, I can live with that. Is everyone running the tire pressures recommended by BMW?  On my 2023 R1250RT that is 2.4 bar front and 2.9 bar for the rear.

Not sure what the “bars” mean but I’m pretty much running 42 rear and about 39 front. 

Also keep in mind that where and how you ride impacts mileage.  Where meaning hot weather and how road surfaces are constructed.  Those can help or hinder mileage on tires. 

How meaning not so much aggressive hard cornering but also accelerating and stopping.  Like you I used to consistently get 11-12000 miles on tires.  When I got my 2016 RT my mileage dropped to 6-8000.  I realize I probably accelerate a bit harder with the added power of the wethead.  I’m not blasting away from lights and I’m a very conservative rider,  but my dealer is the one who suggested I look at the way I ride my new bike vs my older BMWs. 

Lastly not sure where you are buying tires but a set of Road6’s should not cost $700.   I buy all my tires from my local dealer and a set of Road6’s cost just under $500 and mounting and balancing is about $100.   But I’m sure if you shop around you can do better.

BUT …. You could have the tires installed by Boxflyer at START or FART.  Just mail order the tires saving more $$ and get them installed at ART events. 

Hope this helps.  But I too find my ‘16 RT and ‘18 GS  wear out tires faster but you should get at least 7-8000 miles a set.   A buddy who rides a GTL gets 12-14000 miles riding 2up but trust me he’s a VERY VERY conservative rider. 

• Like 1
Steveyacht
30 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Not sure what the “bars” mean but I’m pretty much running 42 rear and about 39 front. 

Also keep in mind that where and how you ride impacts mileage.  Where meaning hot weather and how road surfaces are constructed.  Those can help or hinder mileage on tires. 

How meaning not so much aggressive hard cornering but also accelerating and stopping.  Like you I used to consistently get 11-12000 miles on tires.  When I got my 2016 RT my mileage dropped to 6-8000.  I realize I probably accelerate a bit harder with the added power of the wethead.  I’m not blasting away from lights and I’m a very conservative rider,  but my dealer is the one who suggested I look at the way I ride my new bike vs my older BMWs. 

Lastly not sure where you are buying tires but a set of Road6’s should not cost $700.   I buy all my tires from my local dealer and a set of Road6’s cost just under $500 and mounting and balancing is about $100.   But I’m sure if you shop around you can do better.

BUT …. You could have the tires installed by Boxflyer at START or FART.  Just mail order the tires saving more $$ and get them installed at ART events. 

Hope this helps.  But I too find my ‘16 RT and ‘18 GS  wear out tires faster but you should get at least 7-8000 miles a set.   A buddy who rides a GTL gets 12-14000 miles riding 2up but trust me he’s a VERY VERY conservative rider. 

The $700 is an approximate cost for both tires, mounted and balanced, including taxes and disposal fees, at the BMW dealership I use for service.

This is based on $352 that I paid to have a rear replaced after I picked up a piece of steel on my way into work.

7 minutes ago, Steveyacht said:

The $700 is an approximate cost for both tires, mounted and balanced, including taxes and disposal fees, at the BMW dealership I use for service.

This is based on $352 that I paid to have a rear replaced after I picked up a piece of steel on my way into work.

Yes ... that seems a bit high and I am not buying on the internet.   And like I said if cost is a concern you can certainly save $200-300 off of that $700 cost. 

Oh ..... and speaking of nails in tires .... have you looked into the BMWMOA platinum coverage?   It adds about $50 a year onto your normal membership but cover up to 2 tires a year on any bikes.   I know 2 guys who have gotten a new tire using this plan.  For me it's money well spent. 

https://www.bmwmoa.org/page/membertypes

Steveyacht
52 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Yes ... that seems a bit high and I am not buying on the internet.   And like I said if cost is a concern you can certainly save $200-300 off of that $700 cost. 

Oh ..... and speaking of nails in tires .... have you looked into the BMWMOA platinum coverage?   It adds about $50 a year onto your normal membership but cover up to 2 tires a year on any bikes.   I know 2 guys who have gotten a new tire using this plan.  For me it's money well spent. 

https://www.bmwmoa.org/page/membertypes

I wasn't aware of that service, I'll take a look. As far as the tire prices, I purchased them through the dealer. Yea, the cost more, I get it. But I don't know of anyone nat me that I would want to install tires on my BMW that I order off the Internet. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Steveyacht said:

I wasn't aware of that service, I'll take a look. As far as the tire prices, I purchased them through the dealer. Yea, the cost more, I get it. But I don't know of anyone nat me that I would want to install tires on my BMW that I order off the Internet. 

I agree!   That’s why I buy from my local dealer where they treat me right and I know the tires will be installed without issue. 

• Plus 1 1
1 hour ago, RTinNC said:

what the “bars” mean

1 bar = 1 atmosphere = 14.7lbs .....:thumbsup:

So 36F and 42R

14 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

1 bar = 1 atmosphere = 14.7lbs .....:thumbsup:

So 36F and 42R

That's pretty close to what I run and what a lot of guys seem to be running. :thumbsup:

• Plus 1 2
19 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

...I preferred the T32 much more vs T31. ...

I think they are both good... But my T31's got much better tread life than the T32's.  And they are both a b!@# to install -- the GT rear is really stiff.  A few years ago, Bridgestones were a fantastic value especially if you caught the spring tire rebate offer.  But at this point I can get Dunlop RS4's for the same price, and the RS4 is a great tire with longer tread life than either the T31 or T32.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Cap said:

I think they are both good... But my T31's got much better tread life than the T32's.  And they are both a b!@# to install -- the GT rear is really stiff.  A few years ago, Bridgestones were a fantastic value especially if you caught the spring tire rebate offer.  But at this point I can get Dunlop RS4's for the same price, and the RS4 is a great tire with longer tread life than either the T31 or T32.

Yes …. I was really shocked how much I’m like in the RS4s since I did not like the RS3s.   

And when I like the Michelin, they’re pricing is just getting out of control

Indy Dave

I tend to get cupping with the Dunlop's. The T32 is a much better tire in the rain, IMO. And yes, with the Spring Rebate, you couldn't beat the value. I'll run another set of Dunlop's for kicks. I don't get mileage out of any of them - so it's the price point I focus on.

36 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

I tend to get cupping with the Dunlop's. The T32 is a much better tire in the rain, IMO. And yes, with the Spring Rebate, you couldn't beat the value. I'll run another set of Dunlop's for kicks. I don't get mileage out of any of them - so it's the price point I focus on.

Cupping was my big issue with the RS3’s but the RS4’s are much better for me with no cupping at about 5000 miles ,  so far so good. 

I had to toss the RS3’s at about 6000 miles because of cupping 

I found Road Smart 4s this week while in Cycle gear.    179/rear, and 139 front.    When the guy rang them up he said $409     I said they are marked 179/139.   His scanner read much more.  Then he said, 'I guess you got a deal today'     Yup!

• Like 2
Dave_in_TX

I put a set of Roadsmart IVs on my 2023 1250 GS. They handled well and I think they are a good tire. However, without back-to-back testing, I can't say they handled any better than the Pirelli Trail II or Continental Trail tires I have used previously. The Roadsmart rear needed replacement at about 9k miles and the front is still going at 10k and looks good for about another 1k.For reference, the last Trail Attack rear I had also needed replacement at 9k, while the last two Pirelli rears went to 12k. I have consistently gotten 12k or more out of the Conti or Pirelli front tires with the last Conti being replaced at 16k.

• Like 1

I've had the most luck with the Dunlop RS 4's on mt 2019 RT. At about 6000 now with some life left. I'll take it!  I run 42R 38F

Previously ran Michelin Road 4,5 & 6GT's. I found they wore faster (and sometime oddly) and were noisy. Sticking with the Dunlops

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

...I tend to get cupping with the Dunlop's. The T32 is a much better tire in the rain...

Yeah, so much of your experience with any tire is about where and how you ride. The OP's question was about tire wear.  We had a fun trip a few years ago when Boxflyer came with us to Arizona to run the 191.  For those of you who haven't been there, the 191 is like Tail of the Dragon, only it goes like that for 90 miles from Morenci to Alpine.  I recall Boxflyer starting in Morenci with a fresh set of T32's and by the time he got to Alpine, they were shredded.  Of course, some of that might be related to excessive speed.

• Like 1
Boxflyer
2 minutes ago, Cap said:

Of course, some of that might be related to excessive speed.

...Ya THINK!???? 

The "performance" of that set of tires was GREAT! 

When you are riding in Colorado with an expert guide like you, EVERYTHING on the bike is a "consumable"...the FUN factor was outstanding!

If I recall correctly that my radar detector is the only reason you and I didn't get a ticket on that trip and the other 2 guys did...

Thanks for the good memories Cap!

Brad

• Like 2
Indy Dave
21 minutes ago, Cap said:

Yeah, so much of your experience with any tire is about where and how you ride. The OP's question was about tire wear.

True enough. I don't get more than 4,500 miles to a set regardless of brand. Last Dunlop's came off at 3,949 - so pretty much the same as the T31.

I'll have to do that run next time I'm out West :revit:

Skywagon
27 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

I don't get more than 4,500 miles to a set regardless of brand

Are you towing a boat with that bike. Maybe you are trying to keep up with Bernie. Granted our roads in Texas aren’t very curvy, but they are fast and hot. Today’s ride was a 90-90-300. This is my front and rear

T-31’s  @ 6400 miles. 

F0CF7E5D-A252-4F3B-A0B2-7405310EBA3A.jpeg

823B5860-0E33-4B88-81DA-07573D571678.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

True enough. I don't get more than 4,500 miles to a set regardless of brand. Last Dunlop's came off at 3,949 - so pretty much the same as the T31.

Good lord !   4500 miles ?   You need to cut out those burnouts 😁

Indy Dave

That's what I get from the rear - 95% of the time I change the front then as well. The front isn't ready at that point, but it's simpler.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

I'm with Dave on this I don't.know how any one gets 8 or 10 thousand miles out of tires on an rt! I'm lucky to get 4500- 5000 miles but I probably weigh 100 lbs more than he does! I use 42R and 36-38 F but I am a somewhat conservative rider as I have gotten older. Like they say  YMMV!

• Like 2
Motorhead1977

I'm riding a 1250 RS and only get about 4,500 - 5,000 miles out of the rear with the Roadsmart 4. I think of myself as a "moderately aggressive" rider. (I gave up knee pucks and foot peg dragging many years ago after a trip down the pavement sans bike at around 80 mph - walked away from that with only a few bruises thanks to ATGATT)

I change both tires at the same time as logistically it's simpler for me. I buy them from my local indy shop when they're on sale and they charge $30/wheel for mounting balance and disposal. Do great work and I can drop off the wheels in the morning and get them back with the new shoes on in the afternoon or sooner.

• Like 2

Pretty interesting and consistent with what I have heard over the years i.e. guys getting 12,000 miles or more out of a set of tires while others running the same tires are getting 4500 miles out of a set.   Before my current wetheads ('16 RT and '18 GS) I got 10-12,000 miles out of a set consistently.  Today I am happy with 9,000 out of set (the worst I have ever gotten was 6200 due to cupping) Like most I swap my tires out as a set for simplicity.  While the discussed bikes vary (RT, RS, GS, GTL) I have to believe the difference in mileage has to be related to riding style, road surfaces, temperature and tire pressure.  Once again it seems as though the best tire is the one that works best for YOU taking into account what features are important to YOU .... price, longevity, stickiness, wet rain grip, etc.   And I suspect folks who ride together have similar tire experiences meaning for example ....  most of my riding buddies are seeing the same tire experience as I am seeing.  Tire brand preference is all over the board as well with folks preferring one of the various premium brands.... Michelin, Dunlop, Continental, Bridgestone, Pirelli.  

Probably does not answer the OP question "what tire has best longevity"  since the real answer is "it depends".

• Like 4
Indy Dave

A few years ago, I was up for creating a database of tire wear. @chrisolson had suggested it was impossible to do and have it mean anything - based on many of the factors suggested in this thread. The data was always going to be mostly non-transferrable to others - based on riding styles, bike type, roads, air pressures, varying loads, etc etc. While I let his observation soak in, I kept trying to figure out a way to make it a non 'apples to oranges' comparison. Chris and I exchanged some ideas - well, mostly me pitching ideas and Chris finding the 'loopholes'.  After some back and forth,  Chris came back and said he was willing to help design a user database, despite his reservations of the real applicability of it. Ironically, by then I had chased my tail enough to agree with him, that such a database might be interesting, but as far as transferability to other riders - pretty much insignificant and meaningless due to the many, many uncontrollable variables. And that, as they say, is the rest of the story on why we didn't go any further.

• Dennis Andress featured this topic
wbw6cos

Bernie showed me the spreadsheet he keeps.   I have created one myself, thanks to google sheets.  Basically, I keep track of the mileage going on, pulled off, date codes, brands, and such as the like.     It is just another form of record keeping for my motorcycle hobby.   I realized I can get pretty perturbed when I look at the results overtime.   :ohboy:

In a nut shell, I just want to purchase tires that I can have fun riding on and that can last a little longer than the previous set.   :yes:

Just remember:  as far as motorcycles go, money spent on fuel, tires, and brakes is money well spent.

Cheers!                                                                 

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 1
On 4/5/2024 at 11:02 AM, Indy Dave said:

I don't get mileage out of any of them

Glad I'm not the only one......:java:

• Like 2
Skywagon
51 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

Glad I'm not the only one

I suspect with the amount of time and training you have you might ride a wee bit faster,harde, and better than most. 😳

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
Indy Dave
2 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Bernie showed me the spreadsheet he keeps.   I have created one myself, thanks to google sheets.  Basically, I keep track of the mileage going on, pulled off, date codes, brands, and such as the like.     It is just another form of record keeping for my motorcycle hobby.   I realized I can get pretty perturbed when I look at the results overtime.   :ohboy:

In a nut shell, I just want to purchase tires that I can have fun riding on and that can last a little longer than the previous set.   :yes:

Just remember:  as far as motorcycles go, money spent on fuel, tires, and brakes is money well spent.

Cheers!                                                                 

This was to be a bmwst community datasheet, not just the personal tracking I've always done.

• Like 3
Steveyacht
On 4/5/2024 at 6:20 PM, Indy Dave said:

Reminds me of when I bought my Norton 750 Commando (new) in 1973.  In the first 9,000 miles, or so, I wore out three rears and two fronts.  I was considered to be a rather aggressive rider back then on the curvy back roads of upstate NY.  By the way, I still have that Norton in my garage, right next to my BMW.  

• Like 5
20 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

……..   by then I had chased my tail enough to agree with him, that such a database might be interesting, but as far as transferability to other riders - pretty much insignificant and meaningless due to the many, many uncontrollable variables. And that, as they say, is the rest of the story on why we didn't go any further.

Exactly!  

• Dennis Andress unfeatured this topic
On 4/4/2024 at 9:56 AM, Stiggy said:

and am very curious as to how well it will wear, compared to the prior Road 6GT's, along with what others report for their non-GT RS4's.

Hey, please don't forget to update us on that. I'm curious about that as well. I might consider the RS4s when my Road 6s are done, depending how much I like them (they have 0 miles as of now). What I didn't like at all was the rear needed freaking 89g to balance it (vs 35 for the stock Z8). The front also needed more than the stock Z8, but at least it was 42 vs 30, so more reasonable. I didn't want to travel 60 more miles to have dealer rotate the tire 180-deg, since it was within the 98gr limit I researched, so just left it like that. Both wheels are perfectly balanced, so hope they feel good. So the myth that Michelin tires don't need a light spot marked because they're perfectly balanced, is absolute crap, and just a myth. Probably didn't save any weight vs the RS4s due to needing so much to balance them. Oh well. And no, couldn't find any official weight figures on all 4 tires (F/R RS4s or F/R Road 6s), so not sure how lighter are the Michelins, but probably not much, if at all. I use non-GT tires, by the way.

Finally, here's my take for the OP. I did a lot of research on RS4s vs Road 6s, and what I found was this: The RS4s should last a little longer than the Road 6s when ridden moderately. If you corner aggressively, like several of us do, they reportedly can cup badly, so that was a big detraction for me. My stock Z8s lasted me 3,500 miles, and the sides were cupped too. If I can get 5K miles out of the Road 6s I'd be satisfied... but I'm hoping for 6K. As a side comment, the Road 6s now have dual-compound on BOTH tires, compared to just the rear for the RS4.... but that shouldn't matter for a more sedate rider. I find hard to believe my front Road 6 won't cup, but that's going to determine if I keep them, or give the RS4s a chance after this set. Most folks rated them as sportier feeling than the Road 6s, plus I think they're marked with a light spot, so still in my radar:).