IGNORED

Swap single spark head for dual spark. How to wire the 2nd spark coil?

The Fabricator

The Fabricator

I have 2000 R1150GS single spark.  It runs ok, no surging, starts easy, fuel mileage rarely hits 40mpg, but then I do a lot of back roads.  I am thinking of changing the original heads for dual spark 1150 heads.  

2 questions.

Is it worth it?  Better fuel mileage or anything?

How do I wire the second spark coil? I know the dual sparkers use a conventional coil and a stick coil.

Can I just tap off the signal wire to the conventional coil?

Edited by The Fabricator
clarity
dirtrider
10 hours ago, The Fabricator said:

I have 2000 R1150GS single spark.  It runs ok, no surging, starts easy, fuel mileage rarely hits 40mpg, but then I do a lot of back roads.  I am thinking of changing the original heads for dual spark 1150 heads.  

2 questions.

Is it worth it?  Better fuel mileage or anything?

How do I wire the second spark coil? I know the dual sparkers use a conventional coil and a stick coil.

Can I just tap off the signal wire to the conventional coil?

Morning  The Fabricator

If you are happy with the way your motorcycle runs now then you won't see a lot of gain with dual spark cylinder heads. Part of the gain with dual spark cylinder heads is a different spark curve to take advantage of the improved dual flame front at ignition.

As for a coil choice.   The true dual spark has additional coil drivers inside the Motronic.  Trying to drive 2 coils with the single spark Motronic might fail the single Motronic coil driver. 

Back when we were making our own twin spark engines (single spark heads converted to dual spark plug) we were using a single coil with 4 spark plug wire towers. Max used to sell a kit & even convert the cylinder heads to 2 spark plugs.   You have to mind the total resistance of your coil system. 

The big gain in the dual spark engines is less light throttle surging & part of that was due to the Motronic Ma 2.4 dual spark mapping.

If you are going to all the trouble of cylinder head conversion then might as well go the whole route by using the later (twin spark) Ma 2.4 Motronic & stick coils. Or use the later twin spark Motronic & use one of the stick coil drivers to run a second coil.

You might try E-Mailing or calling     https://www.euromotoelectrics.com    as they offer a number of Air Head twin spark conversion stuff. Possibly they have information on coil or coils to use for your oilhhead twin spark conversion. 

Personally I wouldn't mess with an 1150 twin spark conversion unless I did it right with the proper twin spark Motronic 2.4. (will take some additional wiring work)

The Fabricator

Thanks DR.  I don't think I'll mess with it.  I'll just be happy with what I have.