IGNORED

Grasshopper Learning from the Master

Stresspuppy

Stresspuppy

I finally took the time to install the Cyclops high and low beams. Big difference and no code on the dash. Yay!! I decided to take the front apart like others and I'm glad I did. I can't imagine trying to stuff all of that in there much less mess with the stupid clips blind. Was easy once things where apart

But, as you might imagine, there are a lot of screws and clips. Oh no, whatever will I do to make sure I don't lost things and they go back in the right place? Just then a Genie appeared and said "Young Grasshopper, learn the ways of the Master who is @Boxflyer". And presto, I had the answer. Using the knowledge I learned at the hands of the great Master when he did my 12k service, I created a board for all those bolts and clips to keep them straight.

image.thumb.jpeg.1ba2c63f5fc08dec51d92b4395290e0f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f7c913fa8b28fa7a6ca503143d707f72.jpeg

I had no bolts/clips left over and I was confident things were in the right place. People that I told/showed said I was a genius and it was such a smart way to do things, but I told them I could not take credit for the great idea and that I had learned from one smarter than me.

So many thanks to Boxflyer for the brilliant idea!! Long gone are the days of trying to use a piece of cardboard and hoping you place them right.

• Like 9
  • Plus 1 3
  • Thanks 2

Bravo!!

The best line is 'I had no bolts/clips leftover!"    Thanks for taking the time to report on this.  And I bet you love the increased light of the Cyclops.  Did you put resistors in both high beams?  

I have now added two resistors, and still have an intermittent fault, which clears itself in a short time.  I'm still going to check with Cyclops but have not been able to get a decent ride with this nasty WI weather hanging around.  

• Like 1

I should add that the fault on my dash only comes on after about 15-20 minutes.   It is somewhat 'better' than with no resistors.  

• Like 1
Stresspuppy

I don't typically ride at night, but I was out at dusk the other day and noticed the reflective road signs catching/reflecting the light much more than before. And it seems like much more light than the generic LEDs I had in there (that caused the dashboard light). I'll have to go for a ride at night intentionally just to see. And I need to check the aim to make sure I'm not blinding someone.

I put a resistor on the right high beam and one on the low beam as per the instructions. Dang those things are big and stuffing those in there with the other pieces was "fun". I haven't seen the dashboard light. But I haven't had to use the high beams. I'll be riding some side roads tomorrow so I'll intentionally turn them on and see if the dash light comes up at all.

• Like 2
  • Dennis Andress featured this topic
Indy Dave

Maybe put your 'board' as a .pdf file in the downloads section? 

Stresspuppy

It was a bunch of individual pictures I cut out and used adhesive to attach to the board but let me see if I can create one in just one file that is the same size as Boxflyer’s. It may not be as fancy with the types of bolts and torque specs but hopefully still helpful. Let me see what I can do. 

• Like 3
Darbarian

I took 3 days to undress and redress my R1200RT for low beam bulb replacement. I'd be embarrassed, but I only get to practice this once per lifetime (I hope). Reassembly is guided by a untrustworthy memory such that I wrestle one piece on only to discover another had to be mounted first.  On-off-on-off-on-off ... lots of fun. 

• Like 5
Stresspuppy
On 4/6/2024 at 8:11 PM, Darbarian said:

I took 3 days to undress and redress my R1200RT for low beam bulb replacement. I'd be embarrassed, but I only get to practice this once per lifetime (I hope). Reassembly is guided by a untrustworthy memory such that I wrestle one piece on only to discover another had to be mounted first.  On-off-on-off-on-off ... lots of fun. 

I can imagine without some pictures and a place to put the bolts and clips it could be challenging. Fortunately I was able to do mine in an afternoon without too much trouble. Without too much patting on the back, the board made all the difference. And you're right, hopefully this is a once in a bike-ownership-lifetime that has to be done, but hopefully this will help someone else.

Here is a file for the board. It is meant to be printed 12x18 but scales fine to 8.5 x 11 I'm just not sure it is big enough to hold everything at that size. I'm open for any input or if you have troubles with it.

(I did 12x18 - which no one will have paper to print that size - because that is the size of a foam core board you buy and a hobby place cut in half. I'm sure it will scale to 11x17 without any issues.)

Headlight Board 12x18.pdf

Indy Dave
8 minutes ago, Stresspuppy said:

I can imagine without some pictures and a place to put the bolts and clips it could be challenging. Fortunately I was able to do mine in an afternoon without too much trouble. Without too much patting on the back, the board made all the difference. And you're right, hopefully this is a once in a bike-ownership-lifetime that has to be done, but hopefully this will help someone else.

Here is a file for the board. It is meant to be printed 12x18 but scales fine to 8.5 x 11 I'm just not sure it is big enough to hold everything at that size. I'm open for any input or if you have troubles with it.

Headlight Board 12x18.pdf 1.26 MB · 1 download

Thanks - I taken the liberty of posting your .pdf in the downloads section as well.  

Stresspuppy
1 minute ago, Indy Dave said:

Thanks - I taken the liberty of posting your .pdf in the downloads section as well.  

Thanks! Reading back on what you mentioned, you said put it there but my brain isn't firing on all cylinders yet this morning.

Indy Dave

it's fine, we need to work on the design of our downloads section - it's not laid out very well. But it does offer the opportunity to insert a screen shot of the file, which isn't an option when inserting a download inside a normal thread. It's fine to it have it in both places.

Thanks again for your resolve in creating the file!

• Like 2
  • Dennis Andress unfeatured this topic