IGNORED

R1200 rear shock preload adjusting

Sam Boychuk

Sam Boychuk

I am trying to adjust my rear shock, does anyone know if I keep turning the knob out will it stop or will it unscrew completely? I want to know how many turns for full travel and start in the middle to set my preload, thanks Sam. I ride alone and am 175lbs and the rear feels too stiff right now.

dirtrider
11 hours ago, Sam Boychuk said:

I am trying to adjust my rear shock, does anyone know if I keep turning the knob out will it stop or will it unscrew completely? I want to know how many turns for full travel and start in the middle to set my preload, thanks Sam. I ride alone and am 175lbs and the rear feels too stiff right now.

Morning Sam

The knob won't fully unscrew but it will probably turn out past the lowest setting. So using "number of turns" probably won't be accurate to find the middle of the adjustment range. 

Does your rear strut (shock) adjuster still have the adjustment decal on it? If so then use that.

Otherwise just back it out 1 turn before every ride until you feel what you want while riding. 

noxdURw.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Bassomatic

I have a new to me non ESA 07 and while at the dealer today getting new tires I asked for some clarification on the damping adjustment that conflicts with a lot what I’ve read. I can follow the manual but need a clear answer on whether “adjusting screw 1 in arrow direction H”  means clockwise or counterclockwise.  TIA

IMG_0245.jpeg

dirtrider
5 hours ago, Bassomatic said:

I have a new to me non ESA 07 and while at the dealer today getting new tires I asked for some clarification on the damping adjustment that conflicts with a lot what I’ve read. I can follow the manual but need a clear answer on whether “adjusting screw 1 in arrow direction H”  means clockwise or counterclockwise.  TIA

Afternoon Bassomatic

See if your rear strut has a dot on the adjuster screw?

If so with the dot on the bottom turn the dot in the arrow direction for H or L . 

fVz08iu.jpg

Bassomatic
1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

…..If so with the dot on the bottom turn the dot in the arrow direction for H or L . 

fVz08iu.jpg

Thanks for the response Dirtrider. I have a H and S (instead of L). No dot.  I’m going to assume that when it’s turned clockwise, damping is increased and I’ll want to do that when I increase the preload (and vice versa). Sound right? Christ, I miss the Penske I had on my SV, lol

IMG_0247.jpeg

dirtrider

Evening  Bassomatic

You can barely see the dot. 

The dot vs arrows  was just to show you how the adjustment arrow direction works.  Basically righty tighty (firmer), lefty loosey (softer).   

strut.jpeg

Rinkydink

Glad DR got you sorted out. Just came here to say Bassomatic…great user name!!

1 hour ago, Rinkydink said:

great user name

I'm lovin' the "Certified JB Welder" tagline........:thumbsup:

• Like 1