IGNORED

2004 R1150RT grip replacement

FDMDEERE

FDMDEERE

Hello again. It's been a while since I last posted anything. I've been enjoying my RT and using it on our camping trips as planned, but I have a question I haven't been totally successful finding on a forum search, or in looking at the service information I now have (I bought the Clymer's manual as suggested in previous postings, plus some BMW OEM material). Obviously this bike came with heated grips, and they work just fine. But the grips are getting worn and I'd like to replace the grip covers with OEM ones, but I don't find specific instructions on how to replace them. On my non heated bikes, it's simple; cut the old ones off, apply some kind of adhesive to the new ones and slide them on. But these are not that simple I suspect and I would appreciate some guidance from the experts on this site as I have found that to be the best answer on all my previous posts. Thanks!

taylor1

I just put new ones on mine a few months ago. I Very Carefully cut my old ones off and sprayed some cheap hair spray on the inside of the new ones and slid them on. Easy peezy.

23 hours ago, FDMDEERE said:

Hello again. It's been a while since I last posted anything. I've been enjoying my RT and using it on our camping trips as planned, but I have a question I haven't been totally successful finding on a forum search, or in looking at the service information I now have (I bought the Clymer's manual as suggested in previous postings, plus some BMW OEM material). Obviously this bike came with heated grips, and they work just fine. But the grips are getting worn and I'd like to replace the grip covers with OEM ones, but I don't find specific instructions on how to replace them. On my non heated bikes, it's simple; cut the old ones off, apply some kind of adhesive to the new ones and slide them on. But these are not that simple I suspect and I would appreciate some guidance from the experts on this site as I have found that to be the best answer on all my previous posts. Thanks!

When the grips were nearing replacement on my 2004 RT, I decided to just cover them with Grip Buddies. I didn't want to take a chance on damaging the wiring for the heated grips. And through three sets of covers, I'm pleased with the increased comfort. https://www.originalgripbuddies.com/

Hosstage

My heated grips were worn, sticky, etc. I didn't really want to fight changing them, though I was prepared and have a set waiting. This on my Harley.

I tried Grip Puppies, but found them to be too thick for my hands.

I first tried covering them with regular shrink tubing, but found it to be a bit too slippery. Then the Puppies.

I finally found a shrink tubing used to cover fishing rod and golf club handles. A local sporting goods store was supposed to carry it according to their website, but they had no idea. I ultimately bought it on Amazon. I like it, they come in many colors and sizes, and do not make the grips noticeably thicker. Good stiction for grip, but not sticky.

https://a.co/d/fUmmUpq

Available in 15mm to 45mm diameters

IMG_20240103_155745364_HDR.thumb.jpg.1937d090e387234943c0c4f3fcdb85dc.jpg

• Like 2
7873jake

One of the first things I did was go in pursuit of some sort of grip improvement back in early February. The OEMs were getting gooey.

Didn't go as far as the surgical route (wanted to but had to resist the urge to get a new bike and promptly disrupt the balance by hacking something up with a sharp implement). 

Did the grip buddies route. Soaked them in boiling water to soften them, wet the existing grips in hairspray and then slid them on. Perfect length, perfect fit. I have larger hands so the thicker grip feels good. 

I had to put the clutch lever on the #3 setting  as #1 & 2 results in the clutch dragging when stopped and shifts became very rough. I think it was on #2 to start with. 

I wondered about Hosstage's covers having seen them on Amazon but didn't pull the trigger. I guess I will based on his input. 

Jake

Hosstage

One other thing I like about the heat shrink tubing is that it transfers heat much better than the foam Grips.

RK Ryder
12 hours ago, Hosstage said:

One other thing I like about the heat shrink tubing is that it transfers heat much better than the foam Grips.

I have no heat issues with grip puppies on my R1100RT.

BABABeemer
17 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Did you get the 45mm size? TIA

Hosstage
35 minutes ago, BABABeemer said:

Did you get the 45mm size? TIA

I did, but probably could have gotten 40mm, or even 35mm. The 45mm shrank down just fine. I think the Harley grips are a little thicker than the BMW grips. I didn't have a caliper to measure diameter of the grip, I just used a tape measure for rough measurement.

• Like 1