IGNORED

R1150r engine dies in 1st gear

sp1john

sp1john

Hello everyone 

I have just purchased a 2002 r1150r.. the bikes milage is a genuine 2900 miles.. and was stored for 20 years.. a 75 year old then had it and put 1000 miles on it till today

On riding the bike home .. in first gear from a standing start if I opened the throttle fast the bike would pull off .. die.. then come back to life.. this only happens in 1st gear from a standing start.. has anyone had the same issue and how did you fix it

Thanks

John

• Like 1
Redfoxx

John,

You have lots of fuel system to likely go through. In 22 year about 12 tanks of fuel where ran through the bike. There was a lot of sitting with gas likely going bad. I bought a 2004 RT last year with 63K on clock. Due to age i had several bad fuel hoses with cracking and deterioration. I guess on your going to be on an adventure. I Guess I would start in the fuel tank replacing old hoses and Fuel filter. I would also cut open fuel filter to see what inside looks like. Then there are some segments of high pressure hose outside the tank. 

After all the hoses check injector spray,  for bad injectors or possible gunk in injector screens and then syc throttle bodies. 

Along with change all the rear gear lube, trans and engine oil.

And put on your list new brake lines and fluid. 

One of the forums true experts will be along shortly to help more. 

RF

• Like 1
The Fabricator

You might check the side stand switch.  The switch causes the engine to shut off if the side stand swings down, as a safety.

If the switch is loose, it could activate temporarily.  Or if the side stand pivot is loose, same deal.

Why this would happen only in first gear, no idea.

Just an easy item to check.

I defeated my switch by 'crossing the wires' to simulate the side stand always 'up'.

• Like 2
sp1john
9 hours ago, Redfoxx said:

John,

You have lots of fuel system to likely go through. In 22 year about 12 tanks of fuel where ran through the bike. There was a lot of sitting with gas likely going bad. I bought a 2004 RT last year with 63K on clock. Due to age i had several bad fuel hoses with cracking and deterioration. I guess on your going to be on an adventure. I Guess I would start in the fuel tank replacing old hoses and Fuel filter. I would also cut open fuel filter to see what inside looks like. Then there are some segments of high pressure hose outside the tank. 

After all the hoses check injector spray,  for bad injectors or possible gunk in injector screens and then syc throttle bodies. 

Along with change all the rear gear lube, trans and engine oil.

And put on your list new brake lines and fluid. 

One of the forums true experts will be along shortly to help more. 

RF

Thank you for you feed back🤝.. .. I put a torch in the tank and there is signs of rust so I will be changing the filter checking the tank for debris and all the fuel lines .. 

58-2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1
sp1john
2 hours ago, The Fabricator said:

You might check the side stand switch.  The switch causes the engine to shut off if the side stand swings down, as a safety.

If the switch is loose, it could activate temporarily.  Or if the side stand pivot is loose, same deal.

Why this would happen only in first gear, no idea.

Just an easy item to check.

I defeated my switch by 'crossing the wires' to simulate the side stand always 'up'.

Thanks .. I will check this🤝

dirtrider
15 hours ago, sp1john said:

Hello everyone 

I have just purchased a 2002 r1150r.. the bikes milage is a genuine 2900 miles.. and was stored for 20 years.. a 75 year old then had it and put 1000 miles on it till today

On riding the bike home .. in first gear from a standing start if I opened the throttle fast the bike would pull off .. die.. then come back to life.. this only happens in 1st gear from a standing start.. has anyone had the same issue and how did you fix it

Thanks

John

Morning John

It is likely a fuel related issue but that is difficult to diagnose without a LOT more info on your problem. 

Your in-tank fuel pump has an intake screen (sock) on it, on old stored 1100/1150 bikes I have seen cases where that pump sock sucks shut (like sucking on a weak soda straw) on heavy acceleration. 

Does your 1150R have a tachometer? If so can you remember what your tachometer was doing when the engine power shut off?  If the tachometer was still working correctly then the problem more than likely is NOT electrical like a side stand switch or intermittent circuit open. 

If the tachometer was acting strange (jumping around) when the problem was happening then do look more on the electrical side like side stand switch, or corroded connectors, or even the ignition switch.

You can kind of test your fuel system buy getting the fuel system warm (ride the motorcycle for a while), this will soften the fuel system rubber parts. Then disconnect the fuel return hose. Then test the fuel flow coming out of the fuel return hose (the return side hose coming from rear of motorcycle).   If it has fuel line disconnects then you will either need to hold the internal check valve open or just use a mating quick disconnect to allow fuel flow. 

You will also have to jump the fuel pump circuit at the fuel pump relay to run the fuel pump. 

Let the pump run  (fuel flow)  for a while watching the fuel flow. If it flows a pencil sized stream for about 20 seconds then your fuel system is making enough flow at enough pressure.

Another thing that can cause an issue similar to what you are seeing is the TPS (Throttle Position) sensor) acting up. You can measure the TPS voltage & TPS voltage sweep  looking for holes in the output voltage.   

I didn't cover the how-to's on the above as you need to be more familiar with your 1150 electronic  fuel system before any of it will make sense to you. 

You might also want  to remove the air filter cover then make sure that mice haven't built a big nest inside the air filleter box (it can happen on stored motorcycles)

Another thing to look at or do is to do a new TPS relearn as that stored motorcycle most likely had a dead battery at one time or another.    

To do a new TPS re-learn--

(with choke OFF)

*Remove fuse #5 for about 5 minutes, then re-install the #5 fuse. (#5 fuse is 5th fuse in from the side stand side of the motorcycle)

Then

*Switch on the ignition switch. (do not start engine)

Then

*Without starting the engine, FULLY open & close the throttle twice so that 
the Fueling Computer can register the throttle-valve positions.

Then

*Switch off the ignition.

That's it, that re-teaches the TPS where closed & open throttle is.

You probably should also put some Techron concentrate in the fuel tank as that can help clean the fuel injectors & fuel system. 

• Like 3
sp1john

Wow.. thank you for that.. it did have a new battery fitted before I picked it up so I will be doing that TPS restart.. when I set off slowly the engine is ticking over at 1000 rpm .. if I slowly pull of (normally) it stutters around 2000/3000 rpm but once it's got passed that it's fine and runs OK through the gears .. but if I go full throttle from a start it will die for a split second and then runs fine.. I need to do a service on the bike anyway so I will change fuel filter and air filter and take the bike out for a test..

Thank you for taking the time to reply with some valuable information 🤝

• Like 1
dirtrider
40 minutes ago, sp1john said:

Wow.. thank you for that.. it did have a new battery fitted before I picked it up so I will be doing that TPS restart.. when I set off slowly the engine is ticking over at 1000 rpm .. if I slowly pull of (normally) it stutters around 2000/3000 rpm but once it's got passed that it's fine and runs OK through the gears .. but if I go full throttle from a start it will die for a split second and then runs fine.. I need to do a service on the bike anyway so I will change fuel filter and air filter and take the bike out for a test..

Thank you for taking the time to reply with some valuable information 🤝

Afternoon John

I don't know how old the tires are or how comfortable you are on that new motorcycle.  If it has decent tires & you become at ease on that  motorcycle, AND if you can find a safe place to do it__ If that motorcycle will run out to 120mph+ for 1/4 mile or more then your fuel system probably is not causing the problem. Or, you can try a steep uphill in high gear at about 50 mph, hold it at wide open throttle until it hits about 70 mph & see if it goes from 50 to 70 at wide open throttle smoothly & progressively.

On the 2000/3000 RPM engine sag,  that could be the TPS so do the TPS relearn before anything else.

It could also be a TPS sensor brush issue, that might get better on it's own the more you ride that motorcycle. 

It could also be o2 sensor related so you can try riding with the o2 sensor disconnected as a test   (o2 connector is under the right rear corner of the fuel tank (unless someone has already pulled it out for easier access).

You can also try removing the CCP from the fuse box as a test, (see picture below for CCP location) that can sometimes help point a finger. 

Personally, on a new to me motorcycle with an issue like you have, I would put some Techron concentrate in the fuel tank then ride the motorcycle for while. It might just get better the more you ride it & the closer the fueling adaptives become.  

zOGX8C7.jpg

• Like 2
sp1john

Great advice.. I will be putting  techron in.. there are a few jobs with it being garaged for so long.. Original tyres are still on and just passed a mot.. (2001 front and 2002 back).. I did the  YPS reset and rode the bike to the petrol station as the fuel light was on.. the fault had gone but when I pulled up I noticed that petrol was running out of the overflow pipes and continued to flow overnight.. the tank was only 1/2 full so it was not overflowing.. so i do think the bikes rubber pipes need checking as the rubber sheaving on the wiring loom near the head stock has rotted.. thank you for taking the time to advice me .. 

dirtrider
55 minutes ago, sp1john said:

Great advice.. I will be putting  techron in.. there are a few jobs with it being garaged for so long.. Original tyres are still on and just passed a mot.. (2001 front and 2002 back).. I did the  YPS reset and rode the bike to the petrol station as the fuel light was on.. the fault had gone but when I pulled up I noticed that petrol was running out of the overflow pipes and continued to flow overnight.. the tank was only 1/2 full so it was not overflowing.. so i do think the bikes rubber pipes need checking as the rubber sheaving on the wiring loom near the head stock has rotted.. thank you for taking the time to advice me .. 

Afternoon John

Usually when fuel flows out of the vent hose or out of the fuel cap drain hose that means that one of the small inside-the-tank hoses is split, leaking, or a clamp is loose.

• Like 1
Redfoxx
2 hours ago, sp1john said:

Not to think negatively, but I bet you find more surprises inside. The worst part is none of them will be good :-)

• Like 1