IGNORED

Lower Suspension

Steve Mac

Steve Mac

I thought I would share my experience regards fitting TracTive 25mm (1") lower shocks to my 2019 R 1250 GS.  

I needed to touch the ground more easily after a minor tip over and started my research. 

I soon found there is not a lot of options if one wants to keep the ESA.  

After convincing my self that the expense of over $4000.00 Aussie dollars would be worth it, I took the plunge and ordered the shocks with springs to suit max 90kg (195lb)

I settled on the eX-CITE front as I do not do hardcore off road, rear was the eX-PERIENCE.

I installed them my self which was no issue except for front shock top bolt, and no, one does not need to remove the air box, it will tilt back enough to allow long extensions to reach the top bolt.

The directions require you to basically introduce a fault in to the ESA and after installation the ESA does its thing and fixes the fault and the new shocks are apparently calibrated.

I am absolutely positive that the shocks needed a 800 or more k's to settle in. 

I was told the "shocks would be set up correctly for my weight", so I decided to leave them alone.

Initially I was not really impressed, as the mileage increased I thought they started felling a bit better and I could touch the ground only slightly easier.

After 2000 odd k's I thought they should be better for the money so decided to set them up my self given I do not trust people as I'm old and have seen it all before.

First thing the front sag should have been set at around 1/3 of the travel and was no where near it at 28mm so I set it to about 62mm, secondly the both High Speed and Low Speed Compression damping on the rear were completely undone about 21 turns so clearly not set at all. 

I now have the Low at 15 out and the High at 12out and still experimenting.

I service a few friends BMW's and we have the MotoScan app and can now set the ESA which I have done. 

What a difference when sag is set and ESA calibrated correctly.

The bike is such a pleasure to ride and there is now a noticeable difference between ride modes. 

Hope this helps.  Sorry it was so long.

• Like 2