IGNORED

Rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

To my BMWST family,

For the second time in my life, I have doctors confirm I am cancer free. If I get it a third time I will refuse treatment. Not worth going thru it again knowing I will die at some point anyways.

My current situation: Neuropathy in hands and feet. Unable to ride safely due to the lack of ability to feel controls. Ulcerative proctitis (look it up) along with urinary incontinence due to radiation. Bring fog from chemo. The good news is after many falls, I haven't fallen in 9 months.:18:

I wake up every morning grateful I can get out of bed. I got a tattoo when diagnosed the second time when I was 76. I had a great support system starting with Nancy who waited on me hand and foot and never complained. The rest of my family cheered me every step of the way. I had hundreds of people praying for me. World class care at the Siteman Cancer Center in St. Louis. One surgeon and four different oncologists. last, but not least, several here who reached out to me during treatment.

Grateful to be alive and have no regrets because I have a lifetime of good memories, this forum being one of them. I've ridden as far East as Meat Cove, Nova Scotia. As far West as the Pacific Ocean and hundreds of places in between. Have traveled with friends for 21 consecutive years. Alaska, Hawaii, Iceland,  Central America, the Bahamas and chartered catamarans twice in the British Virgin Islands. Helicoptered to Glaciers and down into the Grand Canyon. Multiple UN's  and BMW MOA rallies. Owned 17 different BMW motorcycles including 2 GS Hacks and a BMW scooter. Had a Pied Piper group spend a couple of days at our house on the way to a UN.

Three children married to their first spouse, 3 grandchildren college graduates and working, one grandchild a Senior at Western Washington University in Bellingham, one grandchild a Freshman at Iowa State and the "baby" who is a Freshman in High School.

Sold the sailboat. Have one bike left to sell.

Looking around I see some familiar faces as well as new members which is a great thing. I also noticed the no politics rule has been reinstated which, IMO, makes any forum more welcoming rather than more decisive. 

Cancer helps one focus on what really is important and I grateful  to learn the lesson before my "expired date".:4315:

Wishing everyone long and winding roads with many more years to enjoy them.

With warmest regards to all.

Bud

tat.jpg

• Like 16
  • Smile 1
mickeym3

You’re blessed to have a great support system and time to reflect on life and yes, even your legacy.

“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Back Bud! :wave: I’m glad you’re kicking the crap out of Cancer! :yes:

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 3
BamaJohn

Thanks for sharing your personal challenges, and it seems that you have a lot of great support.

I wish you tailwinds..... 

• Like 2

Congrats!  It's good to see that you've got the "Glass half full" attitude.  Time to enjoy life.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
DakarTimm

Bud ,this is Timm from the Trailer Sailor website . I arrived here at your suggestion . You were right ,this is a great place . I had wondered where you had  gone .

I'm relieved you have recovered enough to post . 

Hi Timm. Glad to hear from you. I've been keeping up with Tom P via FB. Still have multiple bikes?  E-mail me at bmwbud@gmail.com so we can catch up!

wait to beat it again.  I have a friend who has done it 3 times.  I lost my Mom and Sister to cancer.  The struggle and mental strength it takes is real. awesome job, to you and your support system.

• Like 1
szurszewski

Great news Bud - Laura will be happy to hear you got good news for her birthday ;)