IGNORED

Airborne Museum At St Mere Eglise

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

From Omaha Beach we rode on in the heat, through Grand Camps Maisy, passing Isigny-sur-Mer and its big milk 'factory', back onto the main highway towards Cherbourg.

Our next target: St. Mere Eglise.

This is the little village that was to become world famous because of a botched paratroopers drop. In the night of 5/6 June 1944 thousands of para's were dropped in the wrong place..... some of them wound up in this tiny little village, with the BIG church.

Most of you will know the story of Private John Steel who wound up dangling from the church, being shot at by Germans below (a bullet went through his foot) and turning deaf because of the loud sound of the church bells right next to his ears.

You may have read about it, or seen it in the movie with John Wayne.

Here are some pictures of our visit:

The church with the paratrooper still dangling from its roof...... he is one of the many (sometimes a bit skinny) dolls around the place.

75496781-L.jpg

A larger Sherman (with the newer gun) inside the Airborne Museum, with the church in the background.

75496803-L.jpg

Inside the museum you will find two main halls.... one houses a Horsa glider, the other a C-47 Dakota. These were the main aircraft used for the first attacks that night.

Marty talking with the driver of a Willys Jeep....

75496807-L.jpg

The church once more....

75496815-L.jpg

The second hall, housing the C-47. The buildings are made to look like giant parachutes!

On the left the nose of a remaining half-track.

75496820-L.jpg

In the summer Normandy is a magnet for all sorts of WW2 vehicles. Here a whole column of Jeeps, parked on the main square in front of the museum.

I couldn't get a shot without all the people and other modern things ....

75496825-L.jpg

There was a country fair on the square, and the French Para's benefitted from the occasion to try and recruit new staff... in front of the entrance.

75496848-L.jpg

Marty getting ready to head for home..... it was a long and very hot day !

75496839-L.jpg

Francois

Firefight911

I am truly in awe of this shared trip down history lane!

Thanks for being such a gracious host to Marty and for sharing the trip.

WWII history just gets my pulse racing and until I can get the family over there to experience it first hand you are satisfying a bit of my hunger for it.

Thanks and keep it coming!!!!

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifwave.gifwave.gif

Francois_Dumas

Hi Pat,

there are more, but right now we're in France again, working on a dial-up and notebook.

The rest of Normandy tale will have to wait.

We're making a new 'tale' now though.... Marty has seen 'real' mountain roads now...... with some mixed feelings. More later!

Archived