IGNORED

That part on my RT will touch down first?

Bassomatic

Bassomatic

I’ll be picking up an ‘07 RT and am wondering what is going to touch down first. Center stand? Cylinders? Peg feelers? I’ll be doing a track day in May and am not looking for any potentially expensive surprises. I’m guessing the feelers (why else would it have them), but I’ve seen other threads talking about removing the center stand for track days. I have a lot of track experience on an SV and a S1KR and it’s always been the feeler or my knee that touches first and I’m pretty sure it won’t be my knee on the RT, lol. Please no guesses on this. I’d like to hear from people who have actually scraped parts. Thanks in advance!

Here's what touches down:  The sparks are from the peg feeler, followed by the valve cover. No sparks from the cover 'cause I had the BMW plastic slider/protection pieces installed. This is my 05 R1200ST at Buttonwillow Calif. My son also rode the bike and since he was 50lbs lighter than I, (and more fit) his knee slider touched just prior to the valve cover. So crank up your preload and scare the crap out of everyone with that "old man's bike".....that's what I did:thumbsup:

2007ButtonwillowCalif.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Hosstage

I have no info on parts touching, but removing the center stand for a track day just seems a good idea, both for weight saving and safety in general. At the very least I would safety wire it so it can't move.

Just now, Hosstage said:

I have no info on parts touching, but removing the center stand for a track day just seems a good idea, both for weight saving and safety in general.

The center stand never touched down......BMW seems to have done a good job of tucking it up out of the way.

@Bassomatic If you are not aware, the ST was only sold in the US for three years, and is basically an RT with a sportier riding position and smaller fairings. A bit lighter as well.

dirtrider
1 hour ago, Bassomatic said:

I’ll be picking up an ‘07 RT and am wondering what is going to touch down first. Center stand? Cylinders? Peg feelers? I’ll be doing a track day in May and am not looking for any potentially expensive surprises. I’m guessing the feelers (why else would it have them), but I’ve seen other threads talking about removing the center stand for track days. I have a lot of track experience on an SV and a S1KR and it’s always been the feeler or my knee that touches first and I’m pretty sure it won’t be my knee on the RT, lol. Please no guesses on this. I’d like to hear from people who have actually scraped parts. Thanks in advance!

Morning Bassomatic

I can't tell YOU what YOUR bike will touch down first but most BMW 1200RT's including mine will touch the footpeg feelers first (assuming they are stock, in stock location,  & the feelers are not worn down)

I have lightly touched the very bottom of the side stand foot on my 1200RT but I have a welded on enlarged foot. 

I haven't touched a bare valve cover but have dragged the valve cover protector on both my 1200RT & 1200GS. I typically don't get over that far if I am riding correctly.  Touching the foot peg feelers is usually a wakeup call for me to get with the program & get my body farther inboard. 

Your side cases are apt to drag a little also but you will probably remove those for a track day.  

If your front spring is weak & the front strut (shock) is not doing it's job then on a rough track it will touch the peg feelers pretty easily.

The 1200RT fuel tank holds a LOT of fuel so think about running your track day with less fuel in the tank.