IGNORED

2019 vs 2018, is there a big difference?

christianf

christianf

I currently own a 2006 r1200rt and considering upgrading. Looking through CycleTrader I have a couple options, I am hesitating between a 2018 r1250rt with 80,000 miles for 9500$ and a 2019 r1250rt with 11,000miles for $13,000. Mileage is higher on the 2018, the other one is more recent by one year but with a lot less mileage. 
qu: is 80,000 miles a lot for these bikes? It seems a lot already

Is the 2019 a newer tech from the 2018, it looks very similar

i am not sure what the differences are and if it is worth the difference in price between the 2018 and the 2019 but certainly a big improvement from the 2006 version that I own.
Again as they say it’s not about the ride and more about the travel…

Any opinion? 

• Like 1

The 2019 should be a shift cam, essentially the current engine. but it could be one of the last of the older version. Compare the valve covers on those bikes. It they are different, the '19 is definitely the newer model.

All '19s are shiftcams, which is a significantly better engine than the 1200, at least to me, having owned both (well, still own the 1250:)). The only disadvantage of the '19 is it was the first year. Having said that, the only significant issue I've read about is the use of old rocker arms, which could possibly cause cam wear, and are quite expensive to replace. Many folks just change the rockers, before cam wear happens, which is way cheaper. Anyway, I'm almost sure the '18 bikes have the same rocker issue, so if true (please check), getting the '19 would be an absolute no-brainer to me. After owning a 1200, I told myself no more BMW twins, but glad I gave the 1250 a chance after glowing reviews. I'm very happy with it. And yes, many folks are quite happy with their 1200s, so you'd have to ride both and decide which camp you're on:D. Good luck.

Regardless of which motor, a well worn engine and chassis at 80,000 vs a (virtually new,) motor and chassis for a $3500 difference is a no brainer to me. (YMMV)

Add to that, that the '19 is indeed a 1250 (which at 11,000 has had any bugs addressed by now,) makes it even more so.

• Plus 1 2
christianf
On 3/26/2024 at 4:57 PM, JCtx said:

All '19s are shiftcams, which is a significantly better engine than the 1200, at least to me, having owned both (well, still own the 1250:)). The only disadvantage of the '19 is it was the first year. Having said that, the only significant issue I've read about is the use of old rocker arms, which could possibly cause cam wear, and are quite expensive to replace. Many folks just change the rockers, before cam wear happens, which is way cheaper. Anyway, I'm almost sure the '18 bikes have the same rocker issue, so if true (please check), getting the '19 would be an absolute no-brainer to me. After owning a 1200, I told myself no more BMW twins, but glad I gave the 1250 a chance after glowing reviews. I'm very happy with it. And yes, many folks are quite happy with their 1200s, so you'd have to ride both and decide which camp you're on:D. Good luck

christianf

Thank you but I am not sure I understand whether your are in favor of the most recent machine, can you please confirm, thank you

My .02 here.  I had a 2010 RT after a lengthy history with the BMW LT.  I really liked it after the heavier LT and did 30K miles in little over 2 years.  Then, a 2019 1250RT came for sale with 11,000 miles.  The bike checked all the boxes I was looking for and didn't hesitate because it was the first year for the 1250.  My bike, like the one you're looking at, had 11K, long enough I was told to flush out some issues.  I grabbed it, and there has been an instant connection for the bike.  I've now done 20K miles in 18 months.  It is a significant change from the RT1200.  9 years newer technology, I didn't want the large TFT screen being more of a lot school guy and my addiction to the Garmin XT.  I did extend the warranty for two years basically to cover the electronics and computer modules.   For a couple thousand more dollars, I wouldn't hesitate to jump on the 2019.   But there are tons of bikes out there for sale now-you have a good choice no matter what you wind up with.  Of course, it's always easier for us sitting on the sidelines on these conversations to tell you how to spend your money!

• Plus 1 1
2 hours ago, christianf said:

Thank you but I am not sure I understand whether your are in favor of the most recent machine, can you please confirm, thank you

I thought I made it clear:D. I would NOT get a 1200 again, so I'd absolutely go for a '19+ 1250. And like I said the only possible serious issue with a '19 is also possible on an '18, so there's absolutely no reason not to get a '19. Plus the lower the mileage, the better. And like somebody already said, any other issue is probably fixed already. The only observation I forgot to make is that bike is pretty close to needing a valve check/adjustment, so keep that in mind. But if you do it per @Boxflyer specs, it could last up to 100K miles (but still check clearances every 12K miles). And if you live close to him, he has even done the service for free, I read.  Good luck.

• Like 1