IGNORED

Low beams AWOL 09 R1200RT-P

Darbarian

Darbarian

I went through the Tupperware removal maze to replace my low beam bulbs. Unfortunately, they still shed no light.

Then I resorted to the very little research it took to find there are no fuses. It is probably a computer controlled fault.

Crumb!

How to I approach getting low beams and/or running lights going again?

Dealer reprogramming? 

That would be bad news in my neighborhood. I dunno how far I'd have to ride for a good BMW dealer.

dirtrider
On 3/24/2024 at 1:57 PM, Darbarian said:

I went through the Tupperware removal maze to replace my low beam bulbs. Unfortunately, they still shed no light.

Then I resorted to the very little research it took to find there are no fuses. It is probably a computer controlled fault.

Crumb!

How to I approach getting low beams and/or running lights going again?

Dealer reprogramming? 

That would be bad news in my neighborhood. I dunno how far I'd have to ride for a good BMW dealer.

Morning Darbarian

With you having am RT-P (police bike) you might want to look for a specific switch that allowed some police agencies to turn the headlights off for some police needs (headlight blackout). 

I don't have a hexhead police bike handy to check, but even if I did, they are not all the same as some agencies had specific lighting control requirements. 

It's very possible that there is switch that allows lights-out operation. 

The headlight blackout switch is typically one of the two switches with the red arrows shown below. 

kLPly02.jpg

Darbarian

Oh you got me all excited that the flip of a switch could solve my dimness, but no joy.  I found an extra switch in a box on the right as you pictured that turned off the running lights ... probably the low beams if I had them. I also found a pair of switches in what appeared to be another add-on box on the left, but those switches were solidly in position ... no switching possible. 

dirtrider
10 hours ago, Darbarian said:

Oh you got me all excited that the flip of a switch could solve my dimness, but no joy.  I found an extra switch in a box on the right as you pictured that turned off the running lights ... probably the low beams if I had them. I also found a pair of switches in what appeared to be another add-on box on the left, but those switches were solidly in position ... no switching possible. 

Morning Darbarian

You did have the engine running when checking the headlights? The headlights won't naturally  come on without the engine running.

On a no-headlight issue__ obviously bad bulbs will keep the lights out (you seem to have addressed this), an open in either the headlight 12v B+  or the headlight ground issue will prevent the headlights from coming on. 

But, a short to ground on the headlight  12v B+ side will cause the ZFE module to shut the headlights down. (so is anything aftermarket spliced into the low beam wiring?)

Look closely at each headlight connector for the wires to be burnt, broken, or compromised (this is where most 1200RT headlight issues are found)

Otherwise check the resistance of the brown headlight low wires between the headlight connector & ground. Possibly you have an open in the brown low (ground) wire. 

Otherwise you will probably have to ohm out the low beam 12v B+ wire between the headlight connector & the ZFE module. 

The problem you will have to deal with is the headlight circuit is difficult enough to  work with on a regular 1200RT due to the electronic control.  But on the RT-P police bike it is (or can be) way more complex because of all the different police department requirements.  

Darbarian

I will make sure I have tried the engine running looksee, but the high beams are just fine.  My prime suspect at this moment is the lazy or inconsiderate wrench who converted the bike from department use to the civilian resale market. He left a 'black box' under the tail case after removing the radio. I'm afraid to touch it lest I end up with more electronic gremlins. 

dirtrider
5 hours ago, Darbarian said:

I will make sure I have tried the engine running looksee, but the high beams are just fine.  My prime suspect at this moment is the lazy or inconsiderate wrench who converted the bike from department use to the civilian resale market. He left a 'black box' under the tail case after removing the radio. I'm afraid to touch it lest I end up with more electronic gremlins. 

Afternoon Darbarian

Yes, with BOTH low beams not working (each has a separate wire), and with known good bulbs installed it is very possible a connector was left disconnected.  

On the civilian 1200RT the low been feed wires are a direct run from the ZFE module to the headlight assembly connector. 

I don't know what your RT-P had as original but very possibly some sort of headlight flasher as part of the police package (so you could have a disconnect because of a removal there).

Or a connector was left unplugged.

Or possibly a relay that that was part of the headlight black-out system was removed or left unplugged or not energized.

When I get a chance I will dig through my old RT-P wire diagrams to see if I have anything on the RT-P low beam wiring (I don't hold a lot of hope on this but I do have some 1200 RT-P wire diagram material. 

In any case, look for disconnected, cut, or unplugged connector with a yellow wire and a yellow/white wire.

Darbarian

Thank you guys for considering my issue and making suggestions. I now have low beams ... and high beams ... all the beams my beemer is supposed to have.

I don't know what fixed the low beams, but dare not question or fiddle with my good fortune.

1) I plugged in a connector that was near one of the cop black boxes under the radio platform

2) I looked for loose or unconnected yellow and yellow/white wires, but found none in exposed areas

3) I started the bike rather than merely turning the key on.

*! SHAZAM !* let there be lights.

• Like 1
Darbarian

I am washing, cleaner/waxing when necessary and reassembling the Tupperware. This is my first time through and it is frustrating to wrestle one part on only to discover another had to go on first.  I should be on the road tomorrow ... one day ahead of predicted rain and snow. 

Darbarian
I was coming down home stretch in the LEO Tupperware reassembly, eagerly anticipating putting some miles on the highway eater when Missy said, "Nice day for a ride" ... exactly what I was thinking, until she went on to say, "I mean ME taking a ride ... on Piglet". (Her died-in-the-wool HOGs-Forever brother restored and gave her this diminutive 1978 Honda XL75 that kind-of named itself)

The recently licensed grandma on this itty-bitty 6-horsepower, 175-pound, 4-speed, kick-start-only bike is completely incompatible with me on Leo yet she obviously wanted me to accompany her on Dr Zee, of course cuz he can putt along back roads at her pace. It was a good outing. I'm glad we went.

I got Leo ready to roll after we got home, but too late for a nice ride in deer and elk country. If not tomorrow, someday soon the mountain curves beckon.

Ted, Missy, Piglet, Dr Zee 3.JPG

Leo reassembled with low beams working 88.JPG

• Like 3