IGNORED

START 2024 First Timer Ride Announcement

After the great experience, and on request from all the positive feedback. I, and the BBR group thought it be a good idea to lead another “First Timers” Ride on Thursday morning again. Also if interest demands, we could be talked into doing it  second time on Friday morning. These are Rain or Shine rides. This ride is for anyone that would like to ride with a small group, but doesn’t know any of the other attendees yet. The idea for this ride is for first time attendees, that don't have any ride partners or know any one of the group they can to ride with. The idea is to break the ice and let you get to know some of the other members. Couples riding two-up or on separate bikes are welcome, of course.

I will need a head count, so don’t be shy. Just reply to this post or send me a PM.

This group ride will be on paved country roads with stops.

I/we will be having a rider meeting on Wednesday evening at the motel in Newport, location to be announced.

It will be an all day ride.

Also if there is a large turnout for this, we will split into several groups. 

• Like 2
Chef Paul

Hi Bernie; Please include me in your planned “First Timers” Ride on Thursday morning 4-25-24.

Chef Paul

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Chef Paul said:

Hi Bernie; Please include me in your planned “First Timers” Ride on Thursday morning 4-25-24.

Chef Paul

Added.

That's a great idea Bernie; it's always nicer to ride with a partner than alone, and safer too. I have a 'hard' riding style to match, since I like to ride the twisties fast, but not the rest. I don't mind riding with a fast group once (I like that too), but prefer to enjoy the scenery more, the rest of the time:). So I'd prefer a medium-fast group, but be allowed to lead in the twisties (if needed), and get caught up after that. Or ride tail, and lag behind before twisties, then catch the group. The problem is some folks have very strict group ride rules, and don't like anybody passing, or getting ahead/falling behind. I do NOT belong to those groups. Ha ha. Another issue is stops. I like to take my time going to the bathroom, cleaning my visor, and making gear adjustments (if needed), and just take a small break from the ear plugs and helmet. Again, some folks don't like that, and just want to keep going. Anyway, with communicators, it's much easier to handle group rides. My Cardo (Freecom4) is it's limited to 4 people, but I don't like more than 3, with my ideal group size being 2:grin:. Finaly, I don't like anything in front of my bike, and I typically ride areas I know, so don't need any stinking GPS. Ha ha. But I need to 'upgrade' my capability to being able to listen to voice route guidance thru Google maps and my Cardo, with my phone charging on the tail bag. And learn how to make Google maps read a .gpx file, and where I need to store the files on my phone (on notes, perhaps?), which I have no idea. And also where to store downloaded maps, in case there's no cell (data) reception. Looking forward to meet this fantastic group one day, but not sure it'll be on this rally (still working on that). Take care.

• Haha 2
  • Thinking 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Hosstage

At first, like Bernie, I was confused. Now I think that is one of the funniest things I've read in a while!

• Plus 1 1
  • Haha 1
Oldrider51

Thanks, Bernie, great idea. Sign me up for the "First Timers Ride" on Thursday and Friday, if there is one. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Oldrider51 said:

Thanks, Bernie, great idea. Sign me up for the "First Timers Ride" on Thursday and Friday, if there is one. 

Added to the list for Thursday.

Motorhead1977

Bernie, please add Matt V to the Thursday First Timers Ride. (I'm attending but not going to be cleared to ride as of START).  Thnx.

• Like 1
Oldrider51

Bernie, more stupid questions from a first timer. Looking at the routes in Basecamp I see that that indication "won't alert", does this mean that the Garmin GPS will not give this as a turn by turn direction? Have developed routes before but have never seen this. Thanks

2 hours ago, Oldrider51 said:

Bernie, more stupid questions from a first timer. Looking at the routes in Basecamp I see that that indication "won't alert", does this mean that the Garmin GPS will not give this as a turn by turn direction? Have developed routes before but have never seen this. Thanks

Never any stupid questions. The “Won’t Alert” feature is something Garmin added with the 590/390 versions of the Zumo GPS units a few years ago. It allows the routes to have more than 50 WayPoints/Shaping Points. By making these points silent (Won’t Alert) it permits up to 125 points between each announced WayPoint.

You will get voice directions, if you have your GPS set to give you directions while navigating the route. The only thing that happens is that the actual WayPoint/ShapingPoint will not be “Announced”. 

Also when you look at the route on your GPS screen, you will notice that all the “Silent” Shaping/Via Points are shown as opaque diamonds or circles. Not as Orange Flags.

There is a way to edit this also inside your GPS, but we can discuss that in person on Wednesday evening or during none riding time at START.

2 hours ago, Motorhead1977 said:

Bernie, please add Matt V to the Thursday First Timers Ride. (I'm attending but not going to be cleared to ride as of START).  Thnx.

Added to the group. I suspect your bride is not joining you this time?

Oldrider51
33 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Never any stupid questions. The “Won’t Alert” feature is something Garmin added with the 590/390 versions of the Zumo GPS units a few years ago. It allows the routes to have more than 50 WayPoints/Shaping Points. By making these points silent (Won’t Alert) it permits up to 125 points between each announced WayPoint.

You will get voice directions, if you have your GPS set to give you directions while navigating the route. The only thing that happens is that the actual WayPoint/ShapingPoint will not be “Announced”. 

Also when you look at the route on your GPS screen, you will notice that all the “Silent” Shaping/Via Points are shown as opaque diamonds or circles. Not as Orange Flags.

There is a way to edit this also inside your GPS, but we can discuss that in person on Wednesday evening or during none riding time at START.

Thanks for the explanation. Will open a route on the unit to check out and learn some more.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Oldrider51 said:

Thanks for the explanation. Will open a route on the unit to check out and learn some more.

A great site for more information about Garmin BaseCamp and GPS operations is NewEnglandRiders.org, find the GPS section. They have downloadable PDF with lots of illustrations for Win and Mac units.

Oldrider51
10 minutes ago, Bernie said:

A great site for more information about Garmin BaseCamp and GPS operations is NewEnglandRiders.org, find the GPS section. They have downloadable PDF with lots of illustrations for Win and Mac units.

Thanks, will do.

• Like 1
marcopolo

Converting some Waypoints to Shaping points (in Basecamp, or even on the GPS itself) certainly unclutters the display on the GPS, and as Bernie also points out, they aren't "announced".  And, if I recall correctly, there is no mileage "countdown" as you get closer and closer to a shaping point, unlike a waypoint.  For long, detailed, routes like Bernie constructs for START/FART, it is also a smart way to overcome the limitation on the total number of allowable waypoints that Garmin imposes.  Shaping points do not count towards that numerical limit, which I think for most newer Garmin devices is 125.  By inserting shaping points in a route, between waypoints, you can get something like 3,500 points in total, in any given route.  What I end up doing, when creating a route in Basecamp, is to use waypoints, then I convert some of those waypoints into shaping points.  Even after loading a route onto your GPS, you can still switch a waypoint into a shaping point, and vice versa.

• Like 1
Hosstage
4 hours ago, Bernie said:

Running List of First Time Ride attendees:

@Chef Paul

@Oldrider51

@Matt V

@JCtx ?

@Hosstage ?

Thank you for thinking of me, but no, I will not be making the trip. Besides, my nasty old loud Harley would just irritate everybody!

Just now, Hosstage said:

Thank you for thinking of me, but no, I will not be making the trip. Besides, my nasty old loud Harley would just irritate everybody!

Nah, it will be good to have something else in the mix. But I can understand, it is not easy to hang out with these guys. 

:4322:

Well maybe we will meet at the UnRally! 

• Like 1
Oldrider51
30 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Ah, come on and come, no one should care what you ride, it is that you ride! Need something different than RTs and GSs. 

• Like 1
Hosstage

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Sadly, it is nowhere near lovely wintery Minnesota. Right now weather is not cooperating to even work my way out of here without trailering, and I'm not a trailering kind of guy yet.

I do love carving twisty roads, so have fun, run some twisties for me, enjoy the company!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Oldrider51 said:

Need something different than RTs and GSs.

I've got that covered this trip........:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Smile 2
19 hours ago, JCtx said:

I should know by the end of this week. Hope that leaves enough time to learn how to use maps on the phone for just voice guidance:computer::facepalm::classic_laugh:.

If you have not already made a decision, I highly recommend MyRouteApp.  there is lots of technical reasons why, but I have used 4 apps, and for me MyRouteApp has been slightly better for what I need.  Just an FYI

21 minutes ago, Dave rich said:

I'm in Bernie thank you for all you do

I have added you to the list. See you on Wednesday evening for the intro and rider meeting.

Safe Travels.

Motorhead1977
On 3/25/2024 at 1:23 PM, Bernie said:

Added to the group. I suspect your bride is not joining you this time?

Correct @Bernie especially since I'm not expecting to be cleared by my cardio thoracic surgeon for MC riding by then. Sometimes I think she likes being on a MC ride more than I do 😱 we are planning on making it to the UnRally though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Motorhead1977 said:

Correct @Bernie especially since I'm not expecting to be cleared by my cardio thoracic surgeon for MC riding by then. Sometimes I think she likes being on a MC ride more than I do 😱 we are planning on making it to the UnRally though.

Well, if needed, we could find someone to let Amy join as a passenger, while you are doing rehab with Boxflyer at the motel. But if not, we are looking forward to have her join us again at the UnRally, when you should be riding again. :4617:

@Bernie Please put Nicole & I (2-up) on the list as tentative for Thursday's ride. We are going to try to come up Wed. now. If anything changes I'll let you know. Thanks for putting this together.

• Like 1

While not a complete STARTER newbie here, I’d like to get in on this ride for Thursday. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TEWKS said:

While not a complete STARTER newbie here, I’d like to get in on this ride for Thursday. :thumbsup:

Are you really sure about that? It should be all paved, unless it’s under construction. But in some places the pavement maybe bumpy.

In all seriousness you are more then welcome to join us, I will see you on Wednesday evening.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve always said this (and it could be just me) you get to know people much better when you ride together. :shake: How this happens without being connected by wireless communication, IDK. :dontknow: It’s just one of the great mysteries of life yet to be figured out. :rofl:

• Like 1

If you don’t talk while riding the breaks you take with the group are a lot more interesting.

But in the last few weeks I figured out a process that allows my Cardo unit to talk to my SENA 50S, so I should be able to join a SENA Mesh group.

I am an old fashion ride leader. I will point at things on the road with my arms and feet and I wait for everyone to gather up before every change of directions. This way everyone can ride their ride and we will just meet up at the next stop sign. I have only lost folks that wanted to get lost. :5146:

• Like 3
BeemerGeezer

Hi Bernie,

I’d like to do the first-timer ride, If there’s room!

Mike Hebbard (beemergeezer)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BeemerGeezer said:

Hi Bernie,

I’d like to do the first-timer ride, If there’s room!

Mike Hebbard (beemergeezer)

Well there is always room. It’s too early to tell or to worry about.

I am just trying to get a list of interested people. The last time a few dropped out at the last moment.

If the group gets too big, I can split the group up or do a second ride on Friday.

Mike, I will add your name to the list for now.

See you Wednesday evening.

A friendly Reminder to everyone that is using the routes for START 2024 or for any other ‘A.R.T. events!

The routes are for your personal use only.

By downloading these Routes you agree not to post, publish or share them.

Bernie and the BBR guys would appreciate if you do NOT post these routes on other websites or upload them for public use in Navigation Apps.

We make these routes for you and your riding friends private use.

You are welcome to save them and use them any time you like, now or in future. You are welcome to share them with your riding friends or your riding groups.

We just don’t want them to be used by Navigation Apps as their own routes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys, looks like I won't be able to make this rally after all. But like many others on the same boat, will try to make it to the UNrally too:grin:. I have the bike ready, with new Road6 'shoes' just put yesterday.

Just wanted to comment on my Cardo. Just like Bernie, I consider myself an old-school rider, to the point I basically have nothing added to my bike. However, I made the exception with the Cardo, which was a game-changer riding with my cousin. He convinced me to split a 2-unit box, which is quite a bit cheaper than a single one. And I'm very glad he did. And that also gives me the ability to make and receive phone calls if needed, plus listen to music. But being able to communicate while riding has been fantastic. We keep the talk mostly ride-related, but it's great to coordinate stops, passing tips, hazards, directions, observations, issues (like needing to pull over for whatever), etc. We both have Cardos, but both Cardo and Sena have the ability to link with one another, although that requires different instructions (which I carry with me, just in case).

Indy Dave
1 hour ago, JCtx said:

Hey guys, looks like I won't be able to make this rally after all.

Is that an official canx for START?

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Adding @Stresspuppy to the group for either Thursday or most likely for Fridays over flow ride.

Here is a updated list:

Running List of First Time Ride attendees for Thursday Ride:

@Chef Paul

@Oldrider51

@Matt V

@Dave rich

@PapaBreau

@brorke Bill & Nicole

@TEWKS Pat

@Mitch Triumphant

@bobkatt

@BeemerGeezer Mike Hebbard 

@Stresspuppy maybe for Thursday, if not for Fridays Over Flow Ride.

@DouginNC

@1badfrog

Edited by Bernie
add more names
  • Like 3

Sorry Bernie, I forgot to ask @Mitch Triumphant (Mitch) till just now. He’d like to go also. I do see the list is filling up but I promise, he doesn’t eat much and is little trouble. ;)

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

No problem, I will add Mitch.

I think there should be plenty of food, you just may have to push and shove a little to get room on the trough. :eat:

• Thanks 1
  • Smile 1
DouginNC

Bernie,

I would like to attend the Thursday first timer ride if there is still room.  

Thanks

Doug

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, DouginNC said:

Bernie,

I would like to attend the Thursday first timer ride if there is still room.  

Thanks

Doug

No problem.

• Like 2
mneblett

Hi Bernie -- another noob for the First Timer ride, pls.!

Mark Neblett

• Like 1

No problem, we will have fun. 

I have added your name. See you Wednesday evening for more details.

Safe travels.

Bluenoser

Bernie,  please add me to your first timer list.  Not my first ART but it is my first START,  guess that qualifies.  It will be myself with Susan on back.

53 minutes ago, Bluenoser said:

Bernie,  please add me to your first timer list.  Not my first ART but it is my first START,  guess that qualifies.  It will be myself with Susan on back.

No problem at all, plenty of room. See you and Susan on Wednesday night. Safe travels!

• 2 weeks later...

There is still plenty of time and room to sign up for this ride.

As the post about the Last Minute Event Details - START 2024 announced, 

the rider meeting will be at 7 PM near the Boxflyer Service trailer and location.

Also do not forget to sign up for the Pizza Party for Thursday evening, while attending the rider meeting.

Below is a copy of what I will try to cover in the rider meeting on Wednesday evening.

Online Rider Briefing for the First Timer Ride at START 2024.

I/we will be having a rider meeting on Wednesday evening at 7 PM at the motel in Newport, TN, by the BoxFlyer Service Trailer & Tent.

I like to keep these things very simple and don’t really like this to turn into a lecture of any kind. It is just sort of expected to have a briefing when riders meet for a ride the first time. But I hope we all know what we are doing on our bikes and also have enough respect and decency to ride safely with others.

This write up is just to reminder of some of the basics for group riding rules.

I have made reservations at a restaurant for lunch for the group. I would like to get a head count to give some warning to the restaurant.

With the help of volunteer ride leaders, I/we are prepared to spilt the ride into smaller groups each with a ride leader and a sweeper. The teams may have intercom connections.

On Thursday 4/25/2024 we meet up with our bikes and passengers Ready to ride at 7:45 AM behind the registration office, up on the hill, near the pool. Side Stands Up for the first group by no later than 8:00 AM. With the other groups following in 10 minute intervals. Rain or Fog or Shine.

By Ready to Ride, I mean that you have checked your bike, to make sure it is safe to ride, you checked your tire pressure, have a full tank and empty bladders. It also means full AGATT gear. Rain or Shine or Fog, prepare yourself to be comfortable, dress in layers.

1. This is not a race, everyone please ride your own ride and pace. Keep proper distance to the rider in front of you.

2. I would prefer if there is no passing, unless the rider in front of you waves or asks you to pass him/her.

3. Everyone has to understand and be willing to do is to ”Ride There Own Ride” within the group. This means that you will follow the leader in at least a 4 second distance. On 4 lane highways we normally ride in a staggered 2 second formation. But once we get on 2 lane roads, it is better to keep a longer following distance and to also have the choice to use all of your lane.

4. Try not to cross the double yellow.

5. This group ride will be on paved country roads. You don’t need to have the route in your GPS.

6. It is Important for you to continue following the road until you see the leader marking or waiting at the next turn for everyone to gather up. So, for example if you get to a 4 way intersection and the choice is 2 dirt roads and one paved turn, follow the paved road.

7. It is very important for you to keep an eye out for the rider behind you. If you lose him, slow down, he will catch up to you. The ride leader will know that a problem has developed when no one is behind him any longer. This is important, because sometimes at the start of a ride or after taking a break, someone may have forgotten to buckle their helmet, close a case, plug in the heated gear or something. If this should happen to you, raise your arm, signal and pull over in a safe place, with enough room for any of the following riders to also safely stop. As I said if this happens and you can’t see the guy behind you, pull over or slow down also.

8. The leader of your group needs to know if you need to stop for fuel or other reasons in less then a 100-120 miles. There are stops planned and those should be used to refuel the bikes with small tanks and attend to any personal needs.

9. After the lunch stop there will be a stop at a larger gas station for everyone, before stating the ride back to the motel.

10. If you decide to leave the ride during the ride or at any of the stops, like at lunch. Please let the ride leader or sweeper know. We all have heard of folks getting lost and I myself searched for a guy for 50 miles, before finally getting a call from him that he turned around, because he saw a cloud in the sky.

11. We want everyone to have a safe ride and hopefully a good experience.

12. Pass only when it is safe to do. Don’t worry the ride leader will not leave you.

• Like 9