IGNORED

Comparing a RT 1200 2016 to the RT 1250 2024

trout man

trout man

Hi I have a RT 1200 2016 and considering the new RT 2024.  One dealer has offered me 9,000.00 on a trade on the new bike. Mine has 40,000 miles and in excellent condition with new rubber and a full recent tuneup.  Just wondering if people note a difference in performance between the two bikes or is it hard to tell. I know the technology on the newer model is mind blowing but am concerned with all the complaints about the GPS.  Do have a Garmin on the current bike.  Thanks Bob

Can't tell you about the performance difference.

But, as far as the gps complaints, some people like it and some just stick w/garmin device.  I would have still purchased the bike even if it didn't have the gps integration.  Obviously, I just use my garmin xt and the bike is awesome to me.

I have a '17 RT. IMO there is not a significant enough of a performance difference to warrant the up charge to a new RT, but these are toys and sometimes you just need a new one. :)

As to dashboard technology, I've never cared much about that one way or the other, so for me I'll keep the '17.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
wbw6cos

I cannot personally compare a Wethead motor to a Shiftcam engine, but knowing a few members that have upgraded (GS or RT) I can tell you that they do notice the difference in the performance aspect.  As far as it being worth upgrading, each had their reasons, and for the most part, the sentiment was "it was about time to upgrade the bike."

One thing not mentioned is the performance of the stopping ability.   I have heard testimonials from some riders that they absolutely love the braking of the newer model.  You will appreciate the 1-finger stopping power, although most use 2.

I will leave the tech part of your query out of my post, especially the navigation, as I have seen various threads involving that very subject.  I still have the older dash (non-TFT) and I am quite happy with it.   No comment, otherwise.

Good luck on your quest.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
Dirtmerchant

The ShiftHead does have more power than the WetHead but comes with additional complexity and how much power do you really need? The TFT is nice and has a lot of information but so do the old gauges used in combination with a BMW Nav GPS. The 1300 will likely be announced this year and out next year about this time, that would be the time to consider a new bike, either a leftover 1250 or new 1300.  All that said, if you want a new one get it, life is short. 

• Like 2
marcopolo

If it were me, I would want to see the 2024 maintenence schedule.  BMW recently made changes to the maintenence schedules for all R-series wethead boxers.  These changes call for the driveshaft to be tested every 12,000 miles, and to be replaced every 36,000 miles.  For model year 2023 and older, all of this is covered by warranty.  However, it's my understanding that for model year 2024 and onward, this work is the responsibility of the owner.  I'd definitely want to clarify that.  The relevant BMW Service Information Bulletin (for MY 2023 and older) is available in the Downloads section on this site.  But, I'd want to see exactly what's in the Rider's Manual for a 2024 bike.  Call me a skeptic, but I personally would not accept a sales person's verbal assurances on this one.  I'd want to see it in writing.

• Like 2
duckhawk64
2 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

I cannot personally compare a Wethead motor to a Shiftcam engine, but knowing a few members that have upgraded (GS or RT) I can tell you that they do notice the difference in the performance aspect.  As far as it being worth upgrading, each had their reasons, and for the most part, the sentiment was "it was about time to upgrade the bike."

One thing not mentioned is the performance of the stopping ability.   I have heard testimonials from some riders that they absolutely love the braking of the newer model.  You will appreciate the 1-finger stopping power, although most use 2.

I will leave the tech part of your query out of my post, especially the navigation, as I have seen various threads involving that very subject.  I still have the older dash (non-TFT) and I am quite happy with it.   No comment, otherwise.

Good luck on your quest.

I updated from a 2014 wethead rt to a 2019 shifthead rt. The better suspension, (per Boxflyers advice),  was my selling point. 

The simuspension is a tangible "tactile felt",  upgrade. Plus the extra power is nice, even though I ride solo and bagless 90% of the time, and don't need it at my 139# weight. 

The only reason I am slightly considering an upgrade to a 2023/2024 RT would be because my 2016 has 53K and after my trip to Redmond in June will have about 61K and my extended warranty is up in October.  But honestly I am not a fan of the added technology on a motorcycle (adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring, etc.) and I prefer a REAL GPS and not needing to synch my phone.  That being said I do like the new styling and the large TFT is nice.  But if a pristine low mile 2020 shows up I'd be VERY tempted.   But short answer not a lot to make me swap other than my 2016 is getting some age and miles.   That being said I LOVE my 2016! 

Oh ... and added to that what Mark noted about potentially  more costly maintenance 

I noticed a BIG difference between my ex-2014 1200RT and my current '20 R1250R. The #1 difference is SMOOTHNESS, especially at lower rpm, where the RT felt like the engine was grinding below 3,500 rpm; just awful vibration. On my 1250, the engine feels smooth even at 2K rpm under the same conditions. The engine also feels way stronger at low to mid rpm, due to the dedicated cam lobe for rpm < 5K. And it also feels significantly more powerful on top too, but that might be to the fact the R is also quite a bit lighter. At any rate, I wouldn't trade a 1200 for a 1250 just for the power difference, but the game changer for me was HOW that power is delivered now. That is absolutely worth trading for IMO, but of course, to each his own:grin:. Finally, yes, the shift-cam adds complexity over a 1200, but it's a very simple system, and haven't heard of any shift-cam issues yet. The worst that could happen is needing a new actuator, which shouldn't be too expensive, and it looks like it'd be easy to replace.

simskid
On 3/24/2024 at 3:27 PM, JCtx said:

I noticed a BIG difference between my ex-2014 1200RT and my current '20 R1250R. The #1 difference is SMOOTHNESS, especially at lower rpm, where the RT felt like the engine was grinding below 3,500 rpm; just awful vibration. On my 1250, the engine feels smooth even at 2K rpm under the same conditions. The engine also feels way stronger at low to mid rpm, due to the dedicated cam lobe for rpm < 5K. And it also feels significantly more powerful on top too, but that might be to the fact the R is also quite a bit lighter. At any rate, I wouldn't trade a 1200 for a 1250 just for the power difference, but the game changer for me was HOW that power is delivered now. That is absolutely worth trading for IMO, but of course, to each his own:grin:. Finally, yes, the shift-cam adds complexity over a 1200, but it's a very simple system, and haven't heard of any shift-cam issues yet. The worst that could happen is needing a new actuator, which shouldn't be too expensive, and it looks like it'd be easy to replace.

Ditto for me.  Traded my 16 RT 3 months ago for a 24 1250.  The more I ride it the more I appreciate the big difference in performance. Very smooth feel.  I think the only thing you have to get used to is the technology.  there's a lot to learn and a lot to get distracted by.  The radio ( mostly satellite) doesn't work worth &*%$.  I had to add a different antenna to make it work.  At some point the dealer will have to install a new antenna, but for now my change works perfectly.  The connected app was a huge learning curve for me, but now that I'm using it a lot I think it works OK.  I loved my 16 - never a problem - but I like the 24 more.

John

• Like 1
simskid
22 hours ago, simskid said:

Ditto for me.  Traded my 16 RT 3 months ago for a 24 1250.  The more I ride it the more I appreciate the big difference in performance. Very smooth feel.  I think the only thing you have to get used to is the technology.  there's a lot to learn and a lot to get distracted by.  The radio ( mostly satellite) doesn't work worth &*%$.  I had to add a different antenna to make it work.  At some point the dealer will have to install a new antenna, but for now my change works perfectly.  The connected app was a huge learning curve for me, but now that I'm using it a lot I think it works OK.  I loved my 16 - never a problem - but I like the 24 more.

John

Oh Yeah!  One other thing.  The horn sounds like a loud car horn now!  No more road runner.

• Like 1
trout man

Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to try to sell my RT directly instead of a trade but if worse comes to worse I may go with the dealer.  Have not done any long distance touring in years and this bike may be my incentive to finally leave my job which is at times too intense and crazy and hit the road.  Love BMW's. Used to own the Concours, then the ST Honda and both were nice but for me the RT series has them beat.  Bob

• Like 2