IGNORED

Trouble with low beam lights...

FuzzyRider

FuzzyRider

I am the proud owner of a 2013 RT. The previous owner kept a complete record of repairs and maintenance. He noted that he replaced the left low beam at 27500 miles and the right at 28500 miles and then replace both at 34000 miles. He also noted that he replace both with 'lifetime' lights at 35200 miles. The bike now has approximately 52000 miles and both low beam lights are now out. My first though on discovering this was that a fuse must be blown but I am now told that this model does not have ANY fuses. What could be the problem?

5 hours ago, FuzzyRider said:

What could be the problem?

Simple, your lifetime' lights are blown. Unless they were LEDs, "lifetime" will be a very short period of time.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Within a week of buying my 2013 RT in 2022, and especially after one ride in the dark on it, I replaced all three halogen headlight bulbs with LEDs from Cyclops. BMW R1200RT/R1250RT LED headlight bulb kit-CIL-RT (cyclopsadventuresports.com)

My last 18 years of a 116-mile roundtrip work commute began at 0400 each morning, and as soon as I discovered first HID and then LED bulbs I couldn't stand to ride with the poor, yellowish candle-like light from halogen bulbs. In addition to their longer life (I've never had an LED headlight fail), it was immediately apparent during the return trips home that I was much more visible to opposing and side traffic with the brighter, whiter light produced by LEDs. LED headlights are one of the best safety features/investments one can have on a motorcycle IMO.  

20230108_121009.jpg

20230108_123857.jpg

20230108_124546.jpg

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
dirtrider
9 hours ago, FuzzyRider said:

I am the proud owner of a 2013 RT. The previous owner kept a complete record of repairs and maintenance. He noted that he replaced the left low beam at 27500 miles and the right at 28500 miles and then replace both at 34000 miles. He also noted that he replace both with 'lifetime' lights at 35200 miles. The bike now has approximately 52000 miles and both low beam lights are now out. My first though on discovering this was that a fuse must be blown but I am now told that this model does not have ANY fuses. What could be the problem?

Morning  FuzzyRider

Your motorcycle does have a sort of fuse protection. They are just not replaceable fuses, the circuit protection uses electronic overload protection. That electronic auto protection automatically resets at the next key-ON. 

A mentioned above, it is usually both bulbs that are burnt out (some H-7 bulbs do not last long on the BMW motorcycles).  

But there could be another reason they are out, that electronic circuit protection can also shut the circuit down if it sees an over-load or short to ground.

Remove both bulbs (a real pain if you haven't done it before) then test the bulbs. If both are burnt out then replace them with a new H-7  bulbs. 

Also, inspect the bulb connectors for being burnt or disintegrated. Also check the bulb connector terminal pins for being burnt brown or black and/or also being loose on the bulb terminals. If the terminals are burnt or loose replace the terminals & connector with new. Most auto parts stores have H-7 bulb pig-tail connectors that will just splice on to your existing wires. 

If replacing the H-7 bulbs then stay away from marketing hype & other package promises. 

If you want to spend the money try to find H-7 LL (Long Life) bulbs, in a lot of cases they are not quite as bright (you probably won't notice the difference) but the LL (long Life) bulbs are designed to last longer in adverse conditions. They are usually more expensive.

Another approach is to buy the bulbs from a BMW motorcycle dealer, they typically don't last any longer but have a longer warranty. 

You can eventually go with aftermarket LED's but personally I would at least wait until you get your stock system working to verify that it is capable of keeping the stock bulbs working without issue.  On buying a used motorcycle you never know what the previous owner (or owners) spliced into the wiring harness. 

I went through three bulbs on my 11 RT. In 12,000 miles.  I tried every trick to replace them.  My hands are too large and don’t bend in the necessary directions to replace bulbs.  I went with Cyclops also.  

abush357

I used the hikari LED lights for my low beams, mostly so I don't have to replace them so often. I tried one other brand before the hikari and they would fit. Eventually I'll get the cyclops led light for the high beam, but buying all three bulbs from cyclops is too much $$$ for me.  I also replaced the connectors with new ones, the old ones were in bad shape. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09VM9QFK1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

• 3 weeks later...
FuzzyRider

Update - A few days after I posted the 'Problem with Head Lights' topic I noticed that the left headlight was now on. A few days later I noticed that both lights were now on. Whatever the problem is, it is NOT the lights. I am a complete idiot when it comes to electronics, but it would seem to me that this must be a problem with the wiring. Since it originally effected both lights where should I look first? As always, thanks for any help.

5 hours ago, FuzzyRider said:

Since it originally effected both lights where should I look first?

It will be one or more of the connectors and/or switch gear. Check for broken/pinched wires in the loom and  near the connectors, then get a good quality contact cleaner to be sprayed liberally into the connectors. Let  them dry for a minute and see if they still don't work. Easiest way to find the offending connector is to move them one by one when the lights supposed to be on. Will need to run the motor for that so try to not take too long and cook the motor, or set up some electric fans to provide cooling airflow. 

This is assuming your globes are guaranteed ok. Have seen broken filaments reconnect for a while and work again.

dirtrider
12 hours ago, FuzzyRider said:

Update - A few days after I posted the 'Problem with Head Lights' topic I noticed that the left headlight was now on. A few days later I noticed that both lights were now on. Whatever the problem is, it is NOT the lights. I am a complete idiot when it comes to electronics, but it would seem to me that this must be a problem with the wiring. Since it originally effected both lights where should I look first? As always, thanks for any help.

Morning  FuzzyRider

That is going to be a difficult thing to find as each headlight has it's own wire circuit running from the ZFE control module to each headlight. If both lights were out that usually points to a more common problem like a (common) ground issue or a control side issue. But with one still working that doesn't point to a control side issue.

You can't say for certain  that it isn't the light bulbs as a bulb or bulbs that draw too much current will trip the automatic circuit breakers inside the ZFE module. (are your bulbs the correct wattage & not some 80 or 100 watt super bright???)

Personally I would start at the bulbs, then verify no burnt terminals in each bulb connector. 

Possibly check the main dash connector but if your high beam worked OK then that is a less likely place for the problem. 

I have seen H-7 bulbs that had a crack in the filament then became intermittent. Very small chance that both bulbs are doing that but still needs to be eliminated as the cause. 

Personally I would start by installing 2 new (correct) bulbs, then verify the bulb connector terminals are not burnt brown, loose, or that the wires are not burnt at the terminals.  

You don't have any additional lights, relays,  or accessories tied into the yellow headlight wires do you????? 

You might give the 6-wire connector between the high beam and right side low beam a wiggle. It carries the power to the fairing lights.  I think it is the only connection between the lamp sockets and the ZFE.  Borrowing a picture from Jdub53:

image.png.96bcb66507acc32aa7d1b1ee34989224.png

image.png.603edaae1af250b12e14894d89bd4183.png

I did once have a problem with the fairing half of that socket being pushed into the housing instead of mating with the plug. I'd had everything off the bike for installation of HID ballasts and had the joy of removing it all again to fish the socket out and shim the retaining tabs  to keep it in place.

FuzzyRider

Thanks guys. I will monitor the lights before doing anything...I am a measure once, cut twice kind of guy and find that I often make things MUCH worse in attempting to fix something.