IGNORED

Sleeping Beauty Awakens :})

Randall Stone

Randall Stone

My name is Randall, i havn't owned a bike in a couple decades but new it was time to start again. I searched hundreds of bikes, but when i saw her i fell in love. A bit bigger than i've had but she was perfect. I made an offer for full price2500.00. he said call me and explained no title owner passed, and if i could be patient i could have it for his cost 1K. Also not running but turns over. I stayed in the loop and found someone that got the paperwork done and 1300.00 later i was the proud owner. It fired with a spritz so i was hopefull. I reached out to the community and you all poured your love and knowledge freely , so my deepest thanks to all. Found a full fuel system for the tank from fullerton motorcycle salvage, they pulled and tested from a 94 1100 and 450.00 later it arived shining like brand new. Changed all the fluids, but still no fire. Ordered new injectors from tlfperformanceparts, american made ,bike and spec specific, tuned the carbs by ear a tad, adjusted the idle and clutch. The beauty was awakened screaming with joy after sleeping since 2017. She runs and rides...and looks like a dream. So thank you all and hope to see you on the road, i'll be that old dude flying by on the classic 1994 r1100rs.:})

moto 2024.jpg

• Like 8
RogerC60

Welcome to the oilhead appreciation club. My introduction to BMW motorcycles was a test ride on a 2003 R1150RT 5 years ago. I bought it on the spot. 5 years of riding and wrenching a beautiful machine.

Hope you get many years of enjoyment out of yours. 

• Like 2

Randall, beautiful bike.  When I was shopping for my first BMW, I rode a new 96 RS and just loved it.  The only glitch was that I had/have carpal tunnel issues and the lean forward slightly on the wrist position was just not going to work.  I bought an RT instead.  Put 113K fantastic miles on the RT.  But, always had the slight regret I couldn't have my first choice.  Enjoy.

• Like 2
dirtrider
7 hours ago, Randall Stone said:

My name is Randall, i havn't owned a bike in a couple decades but new it was time to start again. I searched hundreds of bikes, but when i saw her i fell in love. A bit bigger than i've had but she was perfect. I made an offer for full price2500.00. he said call me and explained no title owner passed, and if i could be patient i could have it for his cost 1K. Also not running but turns over. I stayed in the loop and found someone that got the paperwork done and 1300.00 later i was the proud owner. It fired with a spritz so i was hopefull. I reached out to the community and you all poured your love and knowledge freely , so my deepest thanks to all. Found a full fuel system for the tank from fullerton motorcycle salvage, they pulled and tested from a 94 1100 and 450.00 later it arived shining like brand new. Changed all the fluids, but still no fire. Ordered new injectors from tlfperformanceparts, american made ,bike and spec specific, tuned the carbs by ear a tad, adjusted the idle and clutch. The beauty was awakened screaming with joy after sleeping since 2017. She runs and rides...and looks like a dream. So thank you all and hope to see you on the road, i'll be that old dude flying by on the classic 1994 r1100rs.:})

Morning  Randall 

Nice looking ride,

On an 1100 BMW that old you probably should think of replacing the brake hoses. Those old brake hoses degrade from the inside out allowing the hose inner liner to breakdown then the hose ruptures. 

At the least it allows the hose debris to enter then foul the ABS pump, on the bad side it allows brake failure & possibly loss of braking, and/or spraying brake fluid on that shinny paint (brake fluid is a good paint remover).

If you can pull the brake lever with force & feel a lot of lever mush after it hits the take-up resistance then that is usually brake hose compliancy. Sometimes you can have someone else pull the brake lever with force while feeling along the brake hoses & actually feel the hose expansion as the lever is pulled. 

If you start getting black junk in the brake fluid while bleeding then that is more than likely coming from the inner liner of the brake hoses.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Randall,  nice ride.  It kind of looks like you and I have something in common.  Best bike BMW ever made, imo.  Found this one owner never ridden since it left the factory until I bought it in 2012 with not one mile ever ridden by anyone.  

CIMG1113.thumb.JPG.e42a5b692cce2ebba75b7382a88bd2e1.JPG

• Like 2
Randall Stone

yes the brakes will be my next project, great family here :})

Hi again Randall,  Dirt Rider he be the guru and has a wealth of knowledge about all things BMW.  Listen to what he says about flushing the brakes.   My brake fluid when I got my RSL was indeed black and I bled the wheel cylinders and the bleeders on the ABS pump located under the gas tank.  From then on I do brake fluid every two years using only wheel cylinders to flush and leaving bleeders on ABS unit under the tank alone.  My original brake lines had begun to deteriorate so you really should replace the brake lines as soon as you can, easy to do.  Also, had to replace the front master cylinder because it did leak which is a common issue with the early R1100RS bikes no thanks to BMW and their great (not) quality control. Grrrr...   Now, if you notice the bike having an annoying tendency to surge or buck slightly when riding at a constant speed then look under the seat at the fuse relay box and locate a square plastic device that is colored yellow or maybe pink and remove it if the original owner hasn't already done so.  This is what is referred to as a code plug which can adversely affect fueling causing the bike to run on the lean side.  That's all it should take to really smooth things out that and a good throttle body synchronization adjustment.  Anyway, D.R. can guide you through these little tweaks and you will be amazed at what a great machine you have there in every way.:)  One other minor annoyance is the bikes tendency to scorch the paint on the left side panel just above the left cylinder which can overheat the side panel.  So, be careful when doing things like idle too long at stop lights or when in slow traffic.  This is why I had the head pipes ceramic coated black which is supposed to help avoid this paint scorching issue.  I know hard to believe but many folks seem to think the black ceramic helps.

• Like 1
dirtrider
26 minutes ago, JamesW said:

Now, if you notice the bike having an annoying tendency to surge or buck slightly when riding at a constant speed then look under the seat at the fuse relay box and locate a square plastic device that is colored yellow or maybe pink and remove it if the original owner hasn't already done so.  This is what is referred to as a code plug which can adversely affect fueling causing the bike to run on the lean side.  That's all it should take to really smooth things out that and a good throttle body synchronization adjustment.  Anyway, D.R. can guide you through these little tweaks and you will be amazed at what a great machine you have there in every way.:)  One other minor annoyance is the bikes tendency to scorch the paint on the left side panel just above the left cylinder which can overheat the side panel.  So, be careful when doing things like idle too long at stop lights or when in slow traffic.  This is why I had the head pipes ceramic coated black which is supposed to help avoid this paint scorching issue.  I know hard to believe but many folks seem to think the black ceramic helps.

Afternoon James, Randall

I think Randall's 1100 is a 1994, if so there is good chance that motorcycle is a PRE CCP 1100RS with the Motronic  2.2 coding being done in the wiring harness not a standalone CCP  in the fuse box. 

Hi D.R., You are correct and I forgot about that mine was also a jumper in the wiring harness.  I owned a 2004 R1150RT that had the code plug and I still get them mixed up at times.  Think I'm getting old.  Glad you caught that my error.

Lowndes

Randall,

CONGRATS on a GORGEOUS BIKE!!

There are two popular sources for the brake hoses, Galfer and Spiegler.

https://www.galferusa.com/products/lines/

https://spieglerusa.com/brakes/brake-lines-accessories-tools/cycle-brake-line-kits.html

Both make kits for your bike.  I believe they can be purchased directly, or thru a dealer like Cycle Gear and others.  Check pricing!!

They both use the "braided stainless steel" lines with a clear OR colored plastic outer covering and a PTFE tube inside holding the DOT4 in.  The cheaper lines without the plastic outer covering will saw their way thru any tupperware they are near with the constant vibration and jarring we love so dearly.

Don't forget to replace the non-pressure line from the rear brake reservoir to the master cyl.  DOT4 eats thru it, too.

When I bought a kit from Spiegler about 7 years ago, they told me that all orders were made up on demand because there are an infinite number of combinations on colors for the lines and fittings, not to mention the special lengths for bar backs and such.  It took about two weeks for delivery.  With the tupperware off its a simple job.  Keep in mind that the banjo fitting bolts are hollow and have a hole drilled across, not nearly as strong as a same size regular bolt - so do not over-torque them.

I took the calipers off and cleaned them thoroughly, inside and out.  They had some crud in the calipers behind the pistons because the pistons are the low point in the system and that's where the heavy stuff settles to.  Also, when you flush the system with new DOT4, the calipers are NOT flushed.  There is a direct passageway between the bleed nipple and the brake line fitting beside it and the flow just "short-circuits" past the calipers.

You have several options on the lines to the front calipers, these 5 ways and the BMW way.  

image.thumb.png.0f33de18cf4ed6cbe837a7a9e25e0611.png

Pics of the replacement job on my '99 R1100S here:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/vdJIe8VNu17u4Z9N2

Post some pics of the job!!

dirtrider
1 hour ago, Lowndes said:

You have several options on the lines to the front calipers, these 5 ways and the BMW way.  

image.thumb.png.0f33de18cf4ed6cbe837a7a9e25e0611.png

Afternoon Lowndes

I see an ABS tone ring in Randall's picture above.

That motorcycle most likely has ABS so none of the 5 pictures shown are correct as the front master cylinder line runs through a connector block, then back to the ABS pump, then back forward again to the other fittings on the connector block, then to the front calipers. 

Redfoxx
1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Lowndes

That motorcycle most likely has ABS so none of the 5 pictures shown are correct as the front master cylinder line runs through a connector block, then back to the ABS pump, then back forward again to the other fittings on the connector block, then to the front calipers. 

DR 

We where chatting earlier here is is bike without tank. I am guessing that is the earlier generation ABS then my 04rt

I am guessing similar brake line, short line handle bars down, and 2 short one to right caliper and short line over fender and one line rear caliper.  So its a 5 line kit?

RF

8805664e-e8d2-4f37-a1c7-cbb749cfc006.thumb.jpg.2782311837e5b039e1377f540b92910a.jpg

dirtrider
48 minutes ago, Redfoxx said:

DR 

We where chatting earlier here is is bike without tank. I am guessing that is the earlier generation ABS then my 04rt

I am guessing similar brake line, short line handle bars down, and 2 short one to right caliper and short line over fender and one line rear caliper.  So its a 5 line kit?

Afternoon RF

The braking system is definitely different, your 04 1150 has the I-ABS integral (linked) ABS  (wizzy system).

Randall's 94 1100RS has the older ABS-2  system. That is a piston/shaft/clutches type displacement system. 

Lowndes
On 3/24/2024 at 1:20 PM, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Lowndes

YES.  Thanks, Dirtrider.

Then the plumbing on our bikes should be similar.

I did a version of the second from the left on my R1100S, but ran two lines from the lower ABS line to the calipers.  I had to guestimate the length required and figure out the fittings at each end but it eliminated several connections and potential leaks.  Fortunately Spiegler had a positive plethora of fittings, all shapes, sizes, and colors.

The upper and lower ABS hard lines connections before the Spiegler lines:

image.thumb.png.e6266957444db4a52d0b32230393b0d2.png

image.thumb.png.c85014d94c6f838fe23bad5888b3a194.png

The Spiegler brake lines installed.  

image.thumb.png.d4083d564555da2131faae0554e3fca7.png

image.thumb.png.1dca569e43232800615606ffaa36337d.png

image.thumb.png.a30c5bae0fe139fab43014890daf71a2.png

image.thumb.png.74d0ddf7308c31969c05976af193a8f0.png

Randall Stone

Thanks guys, for the rear replaced, will for sure start acquiring parts for the front, gonna have to dig deep for that 3way but I'll get r dun. She's running quite well fuel builds up in higher gear and lower speed sometimes, probably need to see what I can do to advance the timing a bit and maybe let out another 1/2 turn on the lower clutch adjustment. Other than that I did some canyon rides the other day, about 200 miles and it ran great, very agile like a gazelle, no knee scraping but she really digs in if you keep some torque on it. Ty again sure I'll need more advice soon,you guys rock😁